• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I thought Lucas Aedo Kalea was the hooker & Tuipulotu was a centre like his brothers?

LAK a loosehead prop. I tihnk he spend time up with the red heavies in 2023 - @RugbyReg feel free to confirm/refute. Another Quins produt too :)

Tavi is a gun hooker who followed his brothers through St Kevins College. First XV captain in 2015, before an ACL ruled him out for most of the season. I know he'sbeen training witthe Rebels U19 squad. Gym stats through thre room, very mobile and hard-hitting hooker, and a lovely guy to boot. He spent his rehab time coahcing the u16 school team.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
LAK a loosehead prop. I tihnk he spend time up with the red heavies in 2023 - @RugbyReg feel free to confirm/refute. Another Quins produt too :)

Tavi is a gun hooker who followed his brothers through St Kevins College. First XV captain in 2015, before an ACL ruled him out for most of the season. I know he'sbeen training witthe Rebels U19 squad. Gym stats through thre room, very mobile and hard-hitting hooker, and a lovely guy to boot. He spent his rehab time coahcing the u16 school team.
Can he throw?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Ah so is Tavi in the middle of Sione & Mosese? I know there is one who was in yr 12 this yr.

I sat next to the Tuipulto's & Nandolo families at the tahs game this yr they are all the nicest ppl you could ever come across

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Ah so is Tavi in the middle of Sione & Mosese? I know there is one who was in yr 12 this yr.

I sat next to the Tuipulto's & Nandolo families at the tahs game this yr they are all the nicest ppl you could ever come across
OzTimmay is getting confused, Sione was captain in 2015. Tavi is definitely the youngest.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
out of interest - is that the normal number of front rowers in a supe squad? looks a lot.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
First thoughts:

No Rangi & no Ili is not necessarily surprising, but slightly sad they're off without much acknowledgement.

No Talataina is surprising, but it's both his U20 year and apparently he's carrying some injuries: probably not surprising to stay on a WTS/Academy position.

No Callan and no other Lock or backrow option added. Leaves us just a tad light on for my mind, particularly given 3 months ago Mr Foote was rather conerned about his lock depth.

Lots and lots of centers: but Proctor and Daugunu aside it's journeymen and juniors. we need more.

No injury replacement for Pincus at this stage is good news! was worried he'd be a long time gone.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
out of interest - is that the normal number of front rowers in a supe squad? looks a lot.

Last year the squad we named had 11 front rowers (Uelese, Mafi, Rangi, Fourie, Gibbon, Eloff, IAK, Pone, Talakai, Orr and Christian), albeit it didn't make the distinction between Main Squad and EPS.

Nine seems about right to me, 3 in each position. So long as there's an extra hooker & loosehead hanging around the extended squad somewhere that's the right level of depth.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
No training at AAMI yesterday? Last year they trained all days with Wednesday off. Can someone confirm.

Fergo

Allen Oxlade (6)
First thoughts:

No Rangi & no Ili is not necessarily surprising, but slightly sad they're off without much acknowledgement.

No Talataina is surprising, but it's both his U20 year and apparently he's carrying some injuries: probably not surprising to stay on a WTS/Academy position.

No Callan and no other Lock or backrow option added. Leaves us just a tad light on for my mind, particularly given 3 months ago Mr Foote was rather conerned about his lock depth.

Lots and lots of centers: but Proctor and Daugunu aside it's journeymen and juniors. we need more.

No injury replacement for Pincus at this stage is good news! was worried he'd be a long time gone.
I’m sure Talataina is still around.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
OzTimmay is getting confused, Sione was captain in 2015. Tavi is definitely the youngest.

Sorry, I was wrong. Tavi was captain in 2022, and Sione back in 2015.

I know there was a lot of interest for Tavo to join his brother over in Scotland, but it appears we've won the battle for now. i'm guessing he's on a WTS contract as he wasn't listed in the main squad.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sorry, I was wrong. Tavi was captain in 2022, and Sione back in 2015.

I know there was a lot of interest for Tavo to join his brother over in Scotland, but it appears we've won the battle for now. i'm guessing he's on a WTS contract as he wasn't listed in the main squad.

Super Rugby EPS wages must be truly abysmal or the SRU obviously has a lot more money that they're able to throw around than they're indicating if everyone who's rumoured to have "a lot of interest" in them was accurate.

Not saying it's wrong in this case: I'm certain that the Tuipulotus and Valetini were all pursued with high (in comparison) wages, but funny that basically every developing player who has ever been touched base with by the Exiles program is talked about in that way.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Super Rugby EPS wages must be truly abysmally or the SRU obviously has a lot more money that they're able to throw around than they're indicating if everyone who's rumoured to have "a lot of interest" in them was accurate.

Not saying it's wrong in this case: I'm certain that the Tuipulotus and Valetini were all pursued with high (in comparison) wages, but funny that basically every developing player who has ever been touched base with by the Exiles program is talked about in that way.

He was offered the exact same contract to go to the brums as to stay in Melbourne & his dad said to him its totally his choice so he picked the brums. Tbf at that point we hadn't brought through too many & the brums whole history is getting players to get the best out of themselves.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
First thoughts:

Word on the street is that they asked Ili to throw a going away party but like his passing skills, he botched it and threw it into touch.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Force should pick up rangi surely
Luke Callan probably on EPS as well but surprised he changed if it wasn’t for a full contract