• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
It’s a starting point of where we are at. It’s not elite but we need someone consistent.

Wilkinson wouldn’t leave training without making 6 in a row. He put himself under pressure every day. It came back to reward him.

ruined him mentally though, poor bloke can’t do anything without overachieving it

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
don't know if it's normal but so many injrues/niggles. Lukhan, Wilkin, Proctor, Mafi, Pincus.

Think we'll be seeing our depth pretty early on, which I'm not too unhappy about. Lots of good buzz about Maiava in the offseason, G. Vaihu too.
So many injuries is normal for the Rebels. Every year we head into the season with what seems like half of our best 23 injured.

Seems abnormal to other sides. Why is this the case for the Rebels?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
So many injuries is normal for the Rebels. Every year we head into the season with what seems like half of our best 23 injured.

Seems abnormal to other sides. Why is this the case for the Rebels?
From memory last year there was 19 players unavailable for the first couple of weeks.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

- ATO had issued penalty notices to the club’s board directors over failures to make payments in time.
- There were also unpaid bills to the Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust, with more than a million dollars in lease payments and hiring fees owed at one point.
- Privately, the club is blaming its inability to lock in firm payment plans on a lack of clarity from Rugby Australia about funding.
- One Rebels source familiar with the situation said the issue with the ATO was close to being resolved.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
As Shirley Bassey sings:

"And I've seen it before
And I'll see it again
Yes, I've seen it before
Just little bits of history repeating ....."

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This all sounds like a looming bailout or insolvency……

I can’t see how RA could bail them out either, barely surviving as is.

who was running this rock show in Melbourne that let it get this bad!???

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Very glad to have renewed my membership the morning that the AFR hit publish. Hopefully my dollars are used to grant me stadium access in 2024, not to settle claims of creditors.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
This all sounds like a loomingbailout or insolvency……

I can’t see how RA could bail them out either, barely surviving as is.

who was running this rock show in Melbourne that let it get this bad!???
From what I hear of the situation the Rebels and Brums are all reliant of the funding increasing back to $5m to be in a situation to long term cover costs. Rebels had agreed to hand the license back to RA where Brums haven’t. There is some itchy feet now that massive disruption happened from QLD and ACT to push for independence and increased funding, plus the other non Super Rugby states have been promised increased funding if they come along with Brums and Reds.

RA were hopeful all parties would come onboard and they would save through administrative costs etc. but now that isn’t going to happen. It’s a watch this space. We might be further apart now than we were 12 months ago as some parties been caught out by the move.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Out of interest how does Paul Docherty chairman of the Rebels and the executive chair of their major sponsor BRC capital get into this position.

Surely as head of such an esteemed organisation of financial advisers and capital finance raisers "BRC" you know not to allow an organisation to fall behind on its tax obligations.

Unless they run the Rebels on a virtual spreadsheet!!!!!!

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
From what I hear of the situation the Rebels and Brums are all reliant of the funding increasing back to $5m to be in a situation to long term cover costs. Rebels had agreed to hand the license back to RA where Brums haven’t. There is some itchy feet now that massive disruption happened from QLD and ACT to push for independence and increased funding, plus the other non Super Rugby states have been promised increased funding if they come along with Brums and Reds.

RA were hopeful all parties would come onboard and they would save through administrative costs etc. but now that isn’t going to happen. It’s a watch this space. We might be further apart now than we were 12 months ago as some parties been caught out by the move.
Doesn’t really explain how Rebels have accrued a massive tax bill and fallen a $million behind in rent though.

Sounds like someone was spending well beyond their means and hoped a future increase in grants covered existing debts payments.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
These guys need to look at Johnny Wilkinson's training regime. He practised his kicking day and in day out.
He was so obsessive about it, reading his book a few years ago really shows how driven he was to get the most out of his talent. I guess it's a fine line between being 'driven' and 'obsessive' at that level.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Doesn’t really explain how Rebels have accrued a massive tax bill and fallen a $million behind in rent though.

Sounds like someone was spending well beyond their means and hoped a future increase in grants covered existing debts payments.
And here’s me thinking they were a profitable Super Rugby franchise.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And here’s me thinking they were a profitable Super Rugby franchise.
Because profitability is the only alternative to $millions in unpaid bills and tax debt it? No it’s not, organisations can operate with debt as long as it’s serviced through finance, but simply failing to pay suppliers and the tax office is just bad business and suggests bigger issues.

Reactions: dru

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Because profitability is the only alternative to $millions in unpaid bills and tax debt it? No it’s not, organisations can operate with debt as long as it’s serviced through finance, but simply failing to pay suppliers and the tax office is just bad business and suggests bigger issues.
I’m sure it will all work itself out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah it’s funny how failing to pay debts often invites the opinions and scrutiny of others..

But I understand rebels fans may not enjoy this topic and would rather it not be discussed having been through enough governance issues in Queensland over the decades.