• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think if you're bringing in a back up 10 you probably want one who covers at 12 or offers good play making there, like Hodge and To'omua have. Ideally you want someone who can operate as a second playmaker while Gordon is at 10, it frees him up to play his running game and fully engage the defence more often if he doesn't have to be there to marshal the attack.

I'd be trying for either Bayley Kuenzle who may find himself out of favour with all the Force's new play-makers, or someone like a Irae Simone or Duncan Paia'aua who can steady the ship at 12 if someone like Mason steps in at 10. I do think they're both still locked down though. With guys like Monty and Hardwick gone there should be a few extra foreign spaces you could use for this spot too.

Probably should mention Isaac Henry given the Reds connection, but I'm hoping the Reds will have him locked down.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the Rebels are in desperate need of the opposite. We need a gainline maker. Carter in my eyes plays best pulling almost all the strings.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Wanted to move the conversation from Reds forum to here.

I get the impression Tuttles time at the Rebels could come to an end if both player and another club wanted the move.

He was immediately overtaken by Louwrens this year and didn’t see a lot of time off the bench each week, despite been fit the entire year.

Hence I think we could be a serious destination for Meehan to return.

Sorovi I don’t think has a future at the club. He’s almost nonexistent at game day

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Some brief thoughts I played with/am playing with over the holiday weekend based on a couple of guesses at resigning/potential player availability.

1) If Uelese and Fa'amausili get re-signed we have an extremely strong front row group: to the extent that I'd be comfortable having our 3rd stringers take it up against any other Australian front row. As such I doubt we'll mange to retain them this season, and if we do, there will be several changes moving into 2025.

2) While the rest of the forward pack in the best 23 is of very high quality there are reasonable questions to be asked in terms of depth at tighthead lock (with Phillip and Hosea both gone) and Openside (Dickie almost certainly gone, Zac Hough being completely off the pace). There's no reason to expect that we need to pinch a starter from anywhere: but these are conventionally positions of strength for Australian Rugby and it'd be awkward if we can't find "someone" and either Canham or Wilkin pick up injuries/suspensions.

3) Halfback remains a problem for all three players. Louwrens is only going to get slower, Tuttle seems on the outer with Foote for reasons unknown and Sorovi has been unsighted, presumably his Fiji caps ruling him out from future contracts a la Dickie. Werchon may be worth picking up as a development option, but we'll still need to replace at least one more of the three options we have.

4) I believe we need three additional outside backs to be a genuine contender. There's no way around the fact that we probably need two brand new centers. The group of Ili/Ripley/Feliuai/Jooste/D.Vaihu is not good enough (some ever, some not right now), plus replacing Hodge, keeping Kellaway in the back 3. I feel that ideally we'd also be able to secure an upgrade on Jooste that doesn't require us throwing Mason in the deep end. In a perfect world that would for me be Isaac Lucas, Isaac Henry and one of Sam Johnson/Matt Proctor, but I doubt we have either the financial capacity nor Rugby draw to get players of that caliber in. Where the value is in recruiting for these positions idk, I'm not someone who keeps up with the SS or Hospitals Cup enough to know.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Wanted to move the conversation from Reds forum to here.

I get the impression Tuttles time at the Rebels could come to an end if both player and another club wanted the move.

He was immediately overtaken by Louwrens this year and didn’t see a lot of time off the bench each week, despite been fit the entire year.

Hence I think we could be a serious destination for Meehan to return.

Sorovi I don’t think has a future at the club. He’s almost nonexistent at game day
I think Meehan would have some serious issues with how he was treated in Melbourne, he was playing probably the best rugby of any 9 in Australia and just benched for Stirzaker returning from injury, Rebels had won 4 of there first 6. If I remember correctly the Rebels only went on to win another 3 games and one of them Stirzaker lasted less then 20 minutes meaning Meehan was on the field for majority of the game.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Lowrens must have incriminating photos on Kevin Foote … in my humble opinion he is not a better halfback then both James Tuttle and Moses Sorovi - he was the one head scratching selection the rebels rolled out week after week.
Cannot agree with this. Tuttle is inferior and not sure if it’s even a contest. Neither are high end quality. Sorovi might struggle to find another pro contract. Other than getting to the ruck quicker they are both inferior kickers, their pass speed is worse, accuracy not at the same level and defensively worse than Louwrens. Reality is we might have the worst collection on scrum halves in the league.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Some brief thoughts I played with/am playing with over the holiday weekend based on a couple of guesses at resigning/potential player availability.

1) If Uelese and Fa'amausili get re-signed we have an extremely strong front row group: to the extent that I'd be comfortable having our 3rd stringers take it up against any other Australian front row. As such I doubt we'll mange to retain them this season, and if we do, there will be several changes moving into 2025.

2) While the rest of the forward pack in the best 23 is of very high quality there are reasonable questions to be asked in terms of depth at tighthead lock (with Phillip and Hosea both gone) and Openside (Dickie almost certainly gone, Zac Hough being completely off the pace). There's no reason to expect that we need to pinch a starter from anywhere: but these are conventionally positions of strength for Australian Rugby and it'd be awkward if we can't find "someone" and either Canham or Wilkin pick up injuries/suspensions.

3) Halfback remains a problem for all three players. Louwrens is only going to get slower, Tuttle seems on the outer with Foote for reasons unknown and Sorovi has been unsighted, presumably his Fiji caps ruling him out from future contracts a la Dickie. Werchon may be worth picking up as a development option, but we'll still need to replace at least one more of the three options we have.

4) I believe we need three additional outside backs to be a genuine contender. There's no way around the fact that we probably need two brand new centers. The group of Ili/Ripley/Feliuai/Jooste/D.Vaihu is not good enough (some ever, some not right now), plus replacing Hodge, keeping Kellaway in the back 3. I feel that ideally we'd also be able to secure an upgrade on Jooste that doesn't require us throwing Mason in the deep end. In a perfect world that would for me be Isaac Lucas, Isaac Henry and one of Sam Johnson/Matt Proctor, but I doubt we have either the financial capacity nor Rugby draw to get players of that caliber in. Where the value is in recruiting for these positions idk, I'm not someone who keeps up with the SS or Hospitals Cup enough to know.
Good post.

I think Australian super sides having proper tighthead locks are a thing of the past. Nearly every team players with a lighter, hybrid in the row. Because all our thicc heavy boys are getting paid a million quid or euros to get red cards in Europe and bankrupt Premiership teams. Brumbies only real team now who have two proper quality locks. Will see how the big boy from Clermont goes at the Waratahs.

At this stage, I'd just take one good center. Surely now the old war giraffe Hodge is gone we have some cash. Doubt that Monty frees up much cash. Really hoping Mason is ready to take the step up to Super, he looks too small for me at the moment. Google tells me he's the same height as Jorgensen though, hoping S&C have him shifting serious tin in the shed over summer. If Mason can nail down fullback that would be great.

Add to the list of targets Joey Walton. Unsigned currently, playing good rugby and contesting with Mosese, Perese and Foketi. CFS has also been released. Taj Annan is also un-signed.

Though you're right, even with one good centre we're still a bit fucked: 10. Gordon 11. Anderson 12. Mystery Magic Centre #1 13. Mystery Magic Centre #2 14. Kellaway 15. Gordon

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Cannot agree with this. Tuttle is inferior and not sure if it’s even a contest. Neither are high end quality. Sorovi might struggle to find another pro contract. Other than getting to the ruck quicker they are both inferior kickers, their pass speed is worse, accuracy not at the same level and defensively worse than Louwrens. Reality is we might have the worst collection on scrum halves in the league.

i predicted James Tuttle to be the rebels captain this year. All the signs pointed to it, Powell Gone, I believe Tuttle captained in some Aus A games last year… I was suprised when he was coming off the bench in favour of a lesser half back.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Good post.

I think Australian super sides having proper tighthead locks are a thing of the past. Nearly every team players with a lighter, hybrid in the row. Because all our thicc heavy boys are getting paid a million quid or euros to get red cards in Europe and bankrupt Premiership teams. Brumbies only real team now who have two proper quality locks. Will see how the big boy from Clermont goes at the Waratahs.

At this stage, I'd just take one good center. Surely now the old war giraffe Hodge is gone we have some cash. Doubt that Monty frees up much cash. Really hoping Mason is ready to take the step up to Super, he looks too small for me at the moment. Google tells me he's the same height as Jorgensen though, hoping S&C have him shifting serious tin in the shed over summer. If Mason can nail down fullback that would be great.

Add to the list of targets Joey Walton. Unsigned currently, playing good rugby and contesting with Mosese, Perese and Foketi. CFS has also been released. Taj Annan is also un-signed.

Though you're right, even with one good centre we're still a bit fucked: 10. Gordon 11. Anderson 12. Mystery Magic Centre #1 13. Mystery Magic Centre #2 14. Kellaway 15. Gordon
Taj Annan a no go for me, haven’t seen anything in limited opportunities for both junior wallabies and Reds to suggest he will be either elite ball player or a carrying presence. CFS too broken. Walton would be a good shout.

I think Gordon comfortably bigger than Jorgensen. Will seriously come into contention for utility bench spot.

Perhaps Anderson at 13? With Vaihu on the wing.

Kellaway did an interview a month or so ago and mentioned he wants to play fullback or centre but will play wing if needed. It would take a lot for him to move to wing at club level. We definitely need a centre as no.1 priority and then another lock. Let’s see how long Trevs contract is in Japan and could be back in time for a Lions tour push. Even tho he’s not traditionally a lock, I can see Leota spending some time there if a few injuries happen.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)

This is indeed my thought process. Carter nailed on at 10, Anderson on one wing and Kells somewhere in the team. That somewhere likely becomes 13 when you take into account the ability of the group of Lancaster, Pincus, Mason and G. Vaihu as compared to the center group above. One center (particularly a proper 12) would help so much with balances sake, and a second would give us the flexibility to leave Kells in the back three: helping us minimise what is likely conundrum of Jooste (limited ability) v Mason (too early), and give us a look similar to:

10: C Gordon
11. Anderson
12. Johnson/Proctor
13. Henry/Walton
14. Lancaster/Pincus
15. Kellaway

22. M Gordon
23. Pincus/Lancaster

But as per always who the fuck knows what goes on re: finances and how to appeal to players.

EDIT: French clubs be French and info seems to trickle down at 0 pace, Johnson signed by Brive.

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Forgot we signed Lancaster, fuck yeah. Keen to see what he can do, he's rapid not Toole rapid but still quick. Seems to be bigger and much stronger than Toole as well. Hopefully he's good enough to start.

Kellaway did an interview a month or so ago and mentioned he wants to play fullback or centre but will play wing if needed. It would take a lot for him to move to wing at club level. We definitely need a centre as no.1 priority and then another lock. Let’s see how long Trevs contract is in Japan and could be back in time for a Lions tour push. Even tho he’s not traditionally a lock, I can see Leota spending some time there if a few injuries happen.
That's really interesting from Kellaway. I thought wing was his preferred and where he performs best. No wonder he's been playing centre so much. He's could be a really good super 13 but he's not going to shift Ikitau, who's 5 years younger than him. Fullback it is then.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Carter Gordon has a golf handicap of 1.. Kid should give up rugby
1 is a long way off successful pro golfer, most tour pro's would play off around +5, someone did a handicap for Dustin Johnson a few years ago over about 3 months and it came back as +12.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1 is a long way off successful pro golfer, most tour pro's would play off around +5, someone did a handicap for Dustin Johnson a few years ago over about 3 months and it came back as +12.
Was in jest but could full time training not shave off a few to get him there?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Former Rebels pathway player Frank Ralogaivau (Brighton Grammar/Moorabbin Rams) has been selected in the Fiji 20's side. Also Powerhouse player Judah Saumaisue (dont think he ever was an RV product) is in the squad