• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If we did merge with another team, we'd have to go to a completely different Super model so there's more than 4 home games in Melbourne/Canberra for example.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If we did merge with another team, we'd have to go to a completely different Super model so there's more than 4 home games in Melbourne/Canberra for example.

Wait, who are you merging with now?

I seem to recall when battle lines were recently drawn up, it was the Rebels and Waratahs on one side...

That large patch of southern NSW that will separate your new alliance is a bit awkward.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
shits me is the schadenfreude shown by apparent Australian Rugby “fans”. No wonder the game in our country is at such a low point when people want sides to fail.
You want rivalry and passion in the game, it's this type of stuff that makes it thrive.

I still clutch my pearls whenever I think back 12-13 years ago when Giteau kicked for the posts against the Reds rather than giving us a losing bonus point.

I'm sure as hell that WF fans love smashing the Rebels after they were gutted by Rebels. The Reds fans had the same feeling when the Force did the same thing to us.

Perhaps the largest membership base in the country should use this as an opportunity to come together and create an atmosphere next year when the Rebels come through all of this of "us vs them" rather than being so apathetic.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Does anyone know who has been picking up the tab for all the rebels players playing hospitals cup the last few years?

It won't have been the biggest line item, but it's a lot of flights over the course of the season and if it is the rebels who've been paying it might be in doubt going forward. It's never looked particularly financial sustainable in the long term, whoever is picking up the tab.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
You want rivalry and passion in the game, it's this type of stuff that makes it thrive.

I still clutch my pearls whenever I think back 12-13 years ago when Giteau kicked for the posts against the Reds rather than giving us a losing bonus point.

I'm sure as hell that WF fans love smashing the Rebels after they were gutted by Rebels. The Reds fans had the same feeling when the Force did the same thing to us.

Perhaps the largest membership base in the country should use this as an opportunity to come together and create an atmosphere next year when the Rebels come through all of this of "us vs them" rather than being so apathetic.
I don’t get the Force v Rebels animosity. I always firmly believed we should remain at 5 sides and was disappointed to see the Force go. Yes I was happy my team survived but I was sad for the game in Australia that the force got kicked out

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Does anyone know who has been picking up the tab for all the rebels players playing hospitals cup the last few years?

It won't have been the biggest line item, but it's a lot of flights over the course of the season and if it is the rebels who've been paying it might be in doubt going forward. It's never looked particularly financial sustainable in the long term, whoever is picking up the tab.

But it does set a solid platform for another merger plan...

The Red Rebels...

The Redbels...

The Red Bulls.

There's money to be made in that idea.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
You look at all the halfwits celebrating the news. Look how many test players have come out of Melbourne of late. With the Storm now investing in junior league to try and develop their own players we will not see one more Melbourne Wallaby if the rebels were to fall.

Also the Vic government just spent 100m on a rugby vic centre of excellence for the Rebels academies and home field for the Super W team. Doubt as the government has always been a big backer of the rebels they will let them fall over just as their new home has been completed.
Where are people celebrating the news? Point to one person who thinks this is a good thing... Or do you think reports that the Rebels are 9 million in debt, and haven't paid there taxes is a good thing..

Nothing to see here move along..

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Look, if all of this is true then that is quite bad, but what shits me is the schadenfreude shown by apparent Australian Rugby “fans”. No wonder the game in our country is at such a low point when people want sides to fail. Really? You want that for your game? When our team are playing one of the other Aussie franchises I want the opposition to fail miserably, but only on the field. The next time that team is playing, say a Kiwi team, I want them succeed. Rivalry is for on the field only.

Don't let these whingers get to you, nothing will make them happy. The will just leach onto the next negative story.

They would have zero idea about the inner workings of a professional club.

its a sad sad existence

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I don’t get the Force v Rebels animosity. I always firmly believed we should remain at 5 sides and was disappointed to see the Force go. Yes I was happy my team survived but I was sad for the game in Australia that the force got kicked out
At the time It was a two horse race for survival, and Rebels were picked over the Force so the fans resented that, I think the animosity was a bit more one-sided but inflammatory remarks both ways fuelled it going forward.

but like the comment above this, fans were just emotive and venting at the wrong people. RA was at fault then, and the directors are at fault now.

Last edited:

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

I seem to recall when battle lines were recently drawn up, it was the Rebels and Waratahs on one side...

That large patch of southern NSW that will separate your new alliance is a bit awkward.
Southern Brumbies rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, even if there is animosity, I still want a team based in Melbourne.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Without referring to it as a merger, if the Rebels do fold it would be pretty logical for the Brumbies to absorb Victoria into their catchment. You are obviously opposed to the Brumbies being anything but Canberra and the southern half of NSW but rugby in Australia is at a crossroads and needs a massive shakeup. I don't see how having a decent stadium to play out of and a crowd can be anything but a positive, even having to spend a weekend in Melbourne for home games could be viewed as a plus for Brumbies supporters.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Without referring to it as a merger, if the Rebels do fold it would be pretty logical for the Brumbies to absorb Victoria into their catchment. You are obviously opposed to the Brumbies being anything but Canberra and the southern half of NSW but rugby in Australia is at a crossroads and needs a massive shakeup. I don't see how having a decent stadium to play out of and a crowd can be anything but a positive, even having to spend a weekend in Melbourne for home games could be viewed as a plus for Brumbies supporters.

I don’t think the ACT & Southern NSW unions will go for it…

But with the Tahs and Rebels under RA control… voila!

The Tah-Rebels?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t think the ACT & Southern NSW unions will go for it…

But with the Tahs and Rebels under RA control… voila!

The Tah-Rebels?
So if hypothetically the 'catchment' of Victoria were put up for tender you don't think the Brumbies would express interest in it? You know more about the politics than me but it seems a no brainer. Note, this is different to an enforced merger, I get the opposition to that.

Edit: be careful what you wish for, Sydney+Melbourne is commercially a behemoth

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
At the time It was a two horse race for survival, and Rebels were picked over the Force so the fans resented that, I think the animosity was a bit more one-sided but inflammatory remarks both ways fuelled it going forward.

but like the comment above this, fans were just emotive and venting at the wrong people. RA was at fault then, and the directors are at fault now.
I’ve been over to Perth for several games post-2017 and have not experienced any animosity from Force fans whatsoever. Nothing more than usual friendly banter between opposing fans during the games.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’ve been over to Perth for several games post-2017 and have not experienced any animosity from Force fans whatsoever. Nothing more than usual friendly banter between opposing fans during the games.
should have been a part of TWF forums back around 2017 ;)

Most of these rivalries especially in rugby are between the fans and the opposing team/players, not animosity between the fans themselves. Occasionally some 'fans' cant help but make it personal though..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

I still think it was a mistake not to keep the Rebels players in Melbourne and playing for local clubs when not required at Super level. Returning to Brisbane or Sydney cannot be doing much for club connection or loyalty. The Canberra situation seems to be working very smoothly for the mutual benefit of players and JID Cup.