• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sadly Rebels doesn't equal Victoria as we've seen. I doubt the Vic tv market will be dented that much at all.
It’s more potential audience as opposed to actual. The problem has been tapping into that potential audience. Hard to do if you don’t win consistently.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
So very disappointing that board member Owain Stone, who is a Chartered Accountant and partner at Korda Mentha, couldn’t keep the club finances on track - and now it’s come to this

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The fact they used to get 20,000 to a game, and the rising attendances of the Raiders as the Brumbies' declined, might suggest it's not just the population but maybe broader issues with the sport.

Canberra is a shitty sports market..
They have no representation in A-League, AFL, NBL etc

literally being nations capital is the only thing they can hang their hat on

If brumbies and rebels merge I will look forward to watching the Melbourne brumbies (it’s the only logical decision)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
If they are only looking for 500k I'm sure some of the suits from the chairman's club have it covered. Seems all a bit far fetched when the Chairman is emailing members an hour before all the papers are writing articles with no official sources.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If they are only looking for 500k I'm sure some of the suits from the chairman's club have it covered. Seems all a bit far fetched when the Chairman is emailing members an hour before all the papers are writing articles with no official sources.
Yeah, why would you send out an email just before? Surely you wouldn’t do that if you knew you were in that position and it would be reported soon after? Hells, I have no clue anymore.

At least the Melb Quins are doing OK.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Yeah, why would you send out an email just before? Surely you wouldn’t do that if you knew you were in that position and it would be reported soon after? Hells, I have no clue anymore.

At least the Melb Quins are doing OK.

Rebels probably tipped off that bad press was coming.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Noticed this in the AFR article "BRC Capital is a major sponsor of the club, which finished eighth in the competition last season, tipping in about $100,000 a year in sponsorship contributions."

Not an amount to send the club over the edge, there's more to this story than the headlines - I reiterate my thoughts - hatchet job to get Docs out.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Noticed this in the AFR article "BRC Capital is a major sponsor of the club, which finished eighth in the competition last season, tipping in about $100,000 a year in sponsorship contributions."

Not an amount to send the club over the edge, there's more to this story than the headlines - I reiterate my thoughts - hatchet job to get Docs out.
Hatchet job by who precisely? How does it suit RA to take over a club that can't pay its own bills? Why exactly would they want to diminish their Rugby presence in a state they clearly value, delivering them premium test matches year on year and reportedly a World Cup final?

I don't want to dance on the grave of the Rebels, its a sad day if they go under. But this doesn't seem very conspiratorial to me, more like a club that has consistently appeared to push the boat in terms of expenditure without ever having substantially grown their brand or revenue being caught up in what is a challenging fiscal environment for all teams and being led astray by poor leadership.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

sponsorship value is minor, but It sounds like the Rebels debt(or some of) is held by BRC Capital, and if BRC are facing a squeeze on liquidity it might mean those debts are called in and Rebels can’t source them any cheaper. Hence why the other BRC subsidiaries went under and all this coming out now.