• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Forgive us for not wanting to accept that we're about to lose our super team. Don't expect people to take this rationally!
I understand and can very much appreciate that - genuinely no offence was intended whatsoever; but the apparent line of thinking - that the poor financial management of the Rebels finally reaching a breaking point is somehow a ruse by RA - is a bit far fetched isn't it?

You're right though - it's a very tough day for many, so I apologise and will ease off.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Intentional-incompetent? Let’s ask the workers at BRC who are owed wages and then let’s get a statement from one player confirming thier super was paid last quarter
I wasn’t defending the bloke. I was merely saying his focus would be elsewhere.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
I understand and can very much appreciate that - genuinely no offence was intended whatsoever; but the apparent line of thinking - that the poor financial management of the Rebels finally reaching a breaking point is somehow a ruse by RA - is a bit far fetched isn't it?

You're right though - it's a very tough day for many, so I apologise and will ease off.
It’s not easy being cheesy

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hatchet job by who precisely? How does it suit RA to take over a club that can't pay its own bills? Why exactly would they want to diminish their Rugby presence in a state they clearly value, delivering them premium test matches year on year and reportedly a World Cup final?

I don't want to dance on the grave of the Rebels, its a sad day if they go under. But this doesn't seem very conspiratorial to me, more like a club that has consistently appeared to push the boat in terms of expenditure without ever having substantially grown their brand or revenue being caught up in what is a challenging fiscal environment for all teams and being led astray by poor leadership.
Lol rugby Aus does nothing for the game down here. The reason we get premium tests is because the state government pays for them. The reason we stand a chance to get the World Cup final is because the state government has 50m on the table for it, while no other state is offering anything

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Oh…

1706171102918.jpeg

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Kellaway going to the Tahs in 2025

Thats a big blow. I'm sure a lot of guys were already considering their options, but seeing someone like Kellaway sign might open the floodgates and signal to them to get something locked in sooner rather than later, particularly if they're keen to stay in Aus. This is where the disruption to the current season will really start to hit.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well, dribblers, this is where I leave you. While the current situation is bad enough, reading posts on this forum are not good for my mental health and sanity. If we do manage to get a season this year I will do what I always do and support the hell out of the Rebels (and even more so if this is to be the last).

I was taught in triathlons to “control the controllables” because that is all you can do (you can’t make the rain stop or the headwinds go away). I can’t do anything about the financial situation or the the future of the club. I’ll just turn up when and where I can and do my part, however small.

Good luck with your projects.