• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Unsure why everyone is panicking about the staff being put under 4 month deals - whole scenario says to me that RA will see the Rebels ship sink and with it the debt. Rebrand under a new name as the RA Rebels and keep all under contract Rebels for 2025 and reappoint coaches as they see fit. Then they have an unencumbered franchise under their control, with the announcement of future commitments to Rugby in Victoria with the government announcing events like the World Cup final and Super Round (if this year is successful) to inject cash flow into the franchise.
Could be playing a dangerous game if seen as Phoenixing.

ATO have a special taskforce to investigate.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I will miss the people, banter and connection, however; I can’t wait to see Rob Leota lead the Rebels Super Rugby Pacific team out as Captain in 2024, watch the Rebels Super Rugby Women's team play with power and passion, observing a packed changeroom with family and friends for many victory songs, seeing the game grow and most importantly plenty of smiles and a sense of pride for everyone involved in our special game here in Victoria.

Best Regards,
Baden Stephenson | Chief Executive Officer
Melbourne Rebels Rugby Union
I'm taking this as a thinly veiled swipe at Waugh's possible misspeak today (assuming Rob hasn't been nicknamed Trevor after Trevor Leota) and no one can convince me otherwise.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm taking this as a thinly veiled swipe at Waugh's possible misspeak today (assuming Rob hasn't been nicknamed Trevor after Trevor Leota) and no one can convince me otherwise.
that pissed me off more than it should have. There's only 5 captains. He's a wallaby, he went to the RWC. If he was from Sydney I'm sure he'd know his name. I'm turning sour like the WF fans.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Even operating with skeleton staff, and basically no income, will 2024 not just add to the Rebels debt - then PWC might advise winding the operation up? A couple of injuries to key plays could cause havoc also.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
2nd that sort of, ilk still watch Munster and Ireland. But I'll never spend another cent on anything RA related.
which is a dam shame for the game and why this whole thing is so frustrating, that a handful of Rebels directors would ruin interest in the game and livelihoods of players and staff. It’s the staff who haven’t had their super paid and the fans left without a club who suffer because a few egos in suits governed the club so poorly.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I don’t think the sacking of the board and staff is that big of a deal. Wasn’t that part of the idea of centralisation? Reduce costs across the board for the game

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
which is a dam shame for the game and why this whole thing is so frustrating, that a handful of Rebels directors would ruin interest in the game and livelihoods of players and staff. It’s the staff who haven’t had their super paid and the fans left without a club who suffer because a few egos in suits governed the club so poorly.
I've got no idea how the commercials work, but aren't the bills racked up by the Rebels due to the organisation itself I.e. The CEO etc and the board just give oversight and input?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I reckon the Rebs should take this to the Supreme Court.

I've got a good feeling about this one.

genesupreme.png

Bob McCowan (2)
At the very least, I will cancel my Stan subscription because I will have no further use for it.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Welp, we fucked. Coaches have been given 4 month contracts to see out the season. CEO has been made redundant as well as heap of non-coaching staff.
Not surprised CEO has been made redundant. After all, he is the one who was guiding the ship that got to this stage.

Surprised it took this long after VA for it to happen. Although, it probably took this long for PwC to pick his brain.

Pretty shattering that the writing appears to be on the wall. Millions of dollars of debt and we reportedly have $17k of cash, some gym equipment and two cars.