• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I think the lawsuit is more of a bargaining position set by the MRRU board.

Can you imagine discovery for this - no doubt RA will be asked to produce financials, including Waratahs bailout figure, RWC spend, and other things they'd rather hide. Will be very uncomfortable for a lot of RA board members.

Rebels are voting members - surely they'd be able to just request this?

Edit - I'm wrong aren't I. They were voting members, now RA owns the license. Will be interesting to see how hard VRU goes, as opposed to MRRU

Last edited:

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wait - are you telling us the accountants can’t be trusted BH?

On the contrary. We're incredibly trustworthy.

Just trying to explain that a fair chunk of it is just adhering to accounting standards rather than an attempt to inflate assets etc.

You can be the judge whether it's of any use to anyone that a company shows an asset in their financial statements of all the lease payments they have to make for their premises over the term of the lease and then a liability for the fact that they have to pay them over however many years the lease runs for.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Rebels are voting members - surely they'd be able to just request this?

Edit - I'm wrong aren't I. They were voting members, now RA owns the license. Will be interesting to see how hard VRU goes, as opposed to MRRU
Melbourne Rebels and the VRU to have already requested that information, and RA didn't come to the table. That's what part of the high court case was already.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels have 17K in the bank, the cost of going to court for a few days is expensive, the lawyers are working pro bono.

Normally lawyers don't work pro bono unless they see a better than average chance of winning.

Two outcomes, first Rebels win, 8 million plus court cost plus legal fees say 10 million, further RA pay their own costs. allow for the ACT B to put their hand out say another 8 million, all up could go as high as 20 million, RA win they pay court costs maybe their legal team say 1 million.

Either outcome is no good, but the difference between winning and losing is huge.

Another thing tis said the rebels owe 20 million of which somewhere between 8 to 10 is owned to the ATO, my guess is the Rebels directors want the 8 million for the ATO debt.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
Rebels have 17K in the bank, the cost of going to court for a few days is expensive, the lawyers are working pro bono.

Normally lawyers don't work pro bono unless they see a better than average chance of winning.

Two outcomes, first Rebels win, 8 million plus court cost plus legal fees say 10 million, further RA pay their own costs. allow for the ACT B to put their hand out say another 8 million, all up could go as high as 20 million, RA win they pay court costs maybe their legal team say 1 million.

Either outcome is no good, but the difference between winning and losing is huge.

Another thing tis said the rebels owe 20 million of which somewhere between 8 to 10 is owned to the ATO, my guess is the Rebels directors want the 8 million for the ATO debt.
Sack the Rebels accountant. Appalling.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sack the Rebels accountant. Appalling.

work9.jpg

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)

Tim North KC calling in a few favours I'd say.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
where is your source for this
Even the Rebels don't burn through $7.5million in a season
Waratahs 2023 annual report. For clarity not the NSWRU annual report. That and the newspaper alleged $6m Waratah debt to be funded by RA.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I see Anthony Wright has been appointed acting CEO of Rugby Victoria. He’s a pretty savvy lawyer/entrepreneur whom I’ve dealt with up here in QLD a few times. Good operator and rugby man.

I’m not across the whole situation but rugby vic is a totally separate entity to the rebels isnt it? Why do they have a new acting CEO?

Last edited:

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I see Anthony Wright has been appointed acting CEO of Rugby Victoria. He’s a pretty savvy lawyer/entrepreneur whom I’ve dealt with down here in QLD a few times. Good operator and rugby man.

I’m not across the whole situation but rugby vic is a totally separate entity to the rebels isnt it? Why do they have a new acting CEO?
I would suggest it's to do with having the right person in the room

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I see Anthony Wright has been appointed acting CEO of Rugby Victoria. He’s a pretty savvy lawyer/entrepreneur whom I’ve dealt with down here in QLD a few times. Good operator and rugby man.

Chris Evans (former CEO) stood down late last year:

I'm not sure they've made a permanent appointment since.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
How much influence does rugby vic have over what’s going on with the rebels? Will Wrighty have a voice in the situation? I thought it was all a separate entity.
It's a voting member, so at least having someone who understands would be helpful.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
You have a link/quotes for this annual report then I’m assuming?

The number does vary a bit, but the theme is consistent.

Annual reports here