• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The other factor we haven’t mentioned is the NRL likely to announce an additional one or two teams for 2026, rumours are this announcement will happen in about 6 weeks at magic round.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a number of Rebels got a tap on the shoulder with a multi year deal to play Q Cup/NSW Cup in 2025 and essentially learn the game before debuting for the new franchises in 2026. Guys like Mason Gordon, Lancaster and Vaihu probably high on that list.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The other factor we haven’t mentioned is the NRL likely to announce an additional one or two teams for 2026, rumours are this announcement will happen in about 6 weeks at magic round.

Wouldn’t be surprised if a number of Rebels got a tap on the shoulder with a multi year deal to play Q Cup/NSW Cup in 2025 and essentially learn the game before debuting for the new franchises in 2026. Guys like Mason Gordon, Lancaster and Vaihu probably high on that list.
Yep the NRL want 20 teams and RA want 4

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If Pone is still slimming down I could see an expansion team giving him a punt as a League Prop.

playing for Eastwoods in Shute shield

centralisation would do wonders… the Waratahs have thrown probably close to 2+ million dollars at same position in 2025 on outside backs (Kellaway, Jorgenson and JS) yet their scrum is getting eaten alive.

how about a player payment transfer fee to rebels and they can have Pone who’s nowhere near rebels super rugby Matchday XXIII

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

centralisation would do wonders… the Waratahs have thrown probably close to 2+ million dollars at same position in 2025 on outside backs (Kellaway, Jorgenson and JS) yet their scrum is getting eaten alive.

how about a player payment transfer fee to rebels and they can have Pone who’s nowhere near rebels super rugby Matchday XXIII

I posted similar last week - if Pone actively wants to play rugby in Australia long term he should be asking the Rebels for a release to the Force or Tahs asap.

The rebels get off his contract and receive some cash compensation to help reduce their debt.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Given RA own the licenses for both Tahs and Rebels, there wouldn't need to be any release etc or similar done would there?

RA are paying his salary no matter what

Doesn't the assumption have to be that the Tahs don't want him either

Wilson

David Codey (61)
When was the last Aus to Aus transfer that happened in the middle of a Super season?
The most recent one I remember is Sef Fa'agase from the Rebels to the Reds in the 2022 season. Actually played the first round for the Rebels against the Reds before eventually playing for the Reds in round 12.

Ruan Smith also went Rebels to Reds in 2020, but I think that was split between Super Rugby and Super Rugby AU after covid hit.

snoopycatchicken

Bob McCowan (2)

The scrums only getting eaten alive because of the number of injuries. Point still stands that front rowers need to be prioritised.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Good to get the dub on Friday but keen to hear from those following the legal stuff, are we still breathing?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Good to get the dub on Friday but keen to hear from those following the legal stuff, are we still breathing?
I know he’s close to the rebels inner circle but he’s fairly reasoned with his articles but Geoff Parkes yesterday wrote that don’t believe everything RA are pushing in the media and that they could be embarrassed with what comes out. Plus RA actively trying to play some games in the background, he also indicates that there is a decent possibility that a solution to the rebels will almost certainly be offered and potentially agreed to by the appointed administrator. RA are making move to avoid this solution been offered or accepted.

All seems very messy

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as a potential saviour i am intrigued that none of the big Japanese or European clubs havent offered a lifeline. Act as a feeder both ways, get more value of the playing stocks, i realise that all three comps run simultaneously but there must be some synergies ( i hope that word doesn't trigger Dismal)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
as a potential saviour i am intrigued that none of the big Japanese or European clubs havent offered a lifeline. Act as a feeder both ways, get more value of the playing stocks, i realise that all three comps run simultaneously but there must be some synergies ( i hope that word doesn't trigger Dismal)
I'm curious as to how you'd envisage that type of model working.