• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would like to submit an official request to Rugby Australia and Mr. Waugh to suck a ginormous dong.

Definitely didn’t expect your culling to go like this. would’ve been a lot easier if we just rolled over and were absolute shite. “Their existence depends on their success this year” Even if we go 0/5 which is a decent chance of happening, we’re in the finals baby! Best rebels season yet. Still gonna cut us tho.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
I would like to submit an official request to Rugby Australia and Mr. Waugh to suck a ginormous dong.

Definitely didn’t expect your culling to go like this. would’ve been a lot easier if we just rolled over and were absolute shite. “Their existence depends on their success this year” Even if we go 0/5 which is a decent chance of happening, we’re in the finals baby! Best rebels season yet. Still gonna cut us tho
Rebs have some dog in them this year.

Been a few tough moments but they're consistently showing a willingness to fight back.

The threat of being cut probably helps, but I also wonder if the higher number of Melbourne bred players isn't helping as well.

Having guys like Leota, Canham, Uelese, the Vaihu bros and Kailea throughout the squad helps the team feel less like a group of mercenaries and more like they have a real identity.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you underestimate the damage it would do to nine/Stan's long term sports plans to lose Rugby overnight, particularly if it went cheaply to fox (the likely outcome from hardball renegotiation). Rugby is very much in their current and future plans and it's not actually worth it for them squeezing the game for much money in 2025 if it means they either lose the broadcast or cripple the sport.

Yes there would be renegotiation if the rebels were lost, but given the way value has been assigned in the past and the intent from super rugby to make up the content shortfall it's unlikely the drop in revenue would be as much as the rebels annual grant.

If SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) went to a double round robin format that would more than make up for the loss in content.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
univaccbs-4e712c9-intro.jpg

"This official request has been signed with a huge crudely-drawn cock and balls....."
"That makes it doubly legit. Submit that mofo."

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Definitely didn’t expect your culling to go like this. would’ve been a lot easier if we just rolled over and were absolute shite. “Their existence depends on their success this year” Even if we go 0/5 which is a decent chance of happening, we’re in the finals baby! Best rebels season yet. Still gonna cut us tho.

Ha. Aren’t RA running them at the moment? Maybe that’s the difference. Oh and the money they spent on players they can’t afford.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Ha. Aren’t RA running them at the moment? Maybe that’s the difference. Oh and the money they spent on players they can’t afford.
Ahhhh RA are running the Rebels. This probably explains why Pone was in the cattle class flight up to Brisbane from Melbourne on Friday afternoon.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Doesn't mean that.

Just means that there wasn't a recording that picked it up, and whoever else the Super Rugby investigators asked, didn't hear what was said

Yeh I was joking. It's an interesting stance to take.

I wonder if Lomani wasn't able to accurately recall the details of it and obviously old mate accused has denied it.

I say interesting stance to take because the recent Ezra Mam incident showed even with no audio picking up the incident, the NRL were keen to proceed with believing the player who made the allegation.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Could not be substantiated is great lawyer speak.

Very strange that you could be that close to the dugouts, with RA Match Officials, and plenty of PI boys of both Rebels and Drua background and not get anything on the record.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Spencer Leniu admitted that he said it.

Yep I know. But even prior to that the NRL had proceeded to charge him and were going forward with the charges based on the allegation. They knew within 24hrs post-game that there was no audio to support the allegation. Leniu didn't admit anything until several days later.

Interesting in the Rebels situation the man in question makes no attempt to deny anything, at least in the video, and leaves. But apparently, he wasn't in the wrong.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I wonder if something quite bad was said but not racist heinous, and it was embellished a little in the excitement of reporting.
That's what I was thinking, maybe he was talking African and was misunderstood.

But in all honesty, if his said anything racist he should be banned for life.