• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Going to be an interesting few days - "The April 29 AGM falls just days after the Melbourne Rebels’ voluntary administration lapses this week, with a report into their future to be presented on Friday. It’s believed the report will advise that the Rebels should continue to run as a Super Rugby franchise in 2025."

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah, been waiting for updates on what our future holds, the whole making the process quick has not been the truth.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Salakaia-Loto out for around 6 weeks:
The Rebels will welcome regular captain Rob Leota back via the bench, but his return is offset by the foot injury to Lukhan Salakaia-Loto.

The returning Wallabies lock suffered a foot injury during their win over the Highlanders and is expected to miss up around six weeks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Big big big loss, probably the worst of the non-halves positions.

Paper thin forward depth outside the front row at the moment. Maiava the only contracted player outside the 23. Not that he's not up to it if required, but a second injury would means paying money we don't have to get Herbert down here, promoting a second clubbie or playing Pone, Dobbins or a Ripley in the 20 jersey.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
From another Rebels group.

Administrator report has dropped - they recommend implementing the deed of company arrangement, i.e. keep Rebels.

One page from the report

1713960535180.jpeg

No, I have not read it, nor do I have access to it. It's relayed from a trusted source with the acumen to interpret it.

Over to you, Herbee and Phillie.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Looks pretty promisiing.

Is the Investor Group the Tarneit consortium?

And it sounds like there is a pretty big caveat there - if the "Proponents are unable to satsify the obligation......".

Before this happens, the debt has to be resolved? (I guess by Tarneit?)

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So it’s the initial funding AND a commitment to additional funding to cover running costs for two years??

That’s a lot of cash considering how much the Rebels have burnt through each year.

Over to you investooooors.

Reactions: mst

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
The administrators report and DOCA is published here: https://insolvency.pwc.com.au/singl...ion-pty-ltd-administrators-appointed/casePage

The DOCA is a two part offer (initial 15c on the dollar and employee entitlements covered), with the second phase (an extra 15c on the dollar and funding the rebels to continue for two years) conditional on RA granting MRRU a right to participate in Super Rugby, and the ATO cancelling the director penalty notices. The director creditors don’t get anything, and it enables MRRU to seek litigation funding to sue RA. It’s backed by Leigh Clifford, the current directors, and ‘other high net worth individuals’.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
very happy its headed this way though suing RA is not going to help the game in this country.
Pay your fucking bills and we wouldnt be in this mess.
Guess its up to the Rugby fans in this country to get behind this club as their second team and FFS Melbournians, get out an support a team one of the 2 codes in your city that has any international relevance.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
gee its a pretty damning read against the Rebels. Likely trading involvement since 2018. Just dire financial management.

I was chatting to a former QRU Board Member last night who started in the position when the Reds were in a similar situation back in 2016. He proposed a ludicrous approach, seemingly rare in rugby in Australia, of spending less than you earn. They cut staff big time and it was obviously a big reason they signed Brad Thorn as head coach rather than a more experienced coach. Living within their means and all that.

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think this is the bit the Rebels are leaning in to heavily - player payments

All players that were contracted to play for the Melbourne Rebels were subject to a tripartite contract between the player, the Company and RA. These contracts were also subject to the terms of the Professional Rugby Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA VI) 2023 to 2026. Pursuant to terms of the player contracts and CBA VI, the Melbourne Rebels players were initially employed by MRRU. However, RA held the ability to become the sole employer of the players by serving on them a written notice. RA issued such a notice to the players on or about 1 February 2024 advising it had become their employer effective 1 February 2024. The letter also advised it had commenced payment of salary and superannuation from 1 January 2024.

Notwithstanding the above, the terms of the CBA VI appear to suggest that RA may assume liability for amounts due to players of a team who loses its right or is suspended from fielding a team in the SRPC provided that the relevant players will accept all reasonable directions from RA in respect of future employment (see discussion at Section 4.1.1). Further, under CBA VI, RA would be solely responsible for funding the Company with the associated expenses (i.e., match payments) of any Melbourne Rebels players who were selected to represent the Australian national team (i.e., match payments) whilst they were on national duty.

It is the position of the Directors that RA had an obligation under the JVA to step in and ensure that five RA teams were fielded and, as a result, had an obligation to assume certain employee entitlements.

As can be seen from the above, the contractual arrangements of the Melbourne Rebels players were complicated, and the Directors and RA have different positions on who was considered to be the “true employer” of the players.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I think this is the bit the Rebels are leaning in to heavily - player payments
So MRRU's position is that RA should've been paying player wages as MRRU were unable to do so, yet were obliged to field a team? RA's position is that they were only to cover Wallabies-related payments, however assumed responsibility for all player payments from 1Jan 24?

Messy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
where are you @Braveheart81 ??? need your analytical eye on this.

Key findings:

Key Comments

Whilst my investigations are ongoing, my initial findings are summarised below:
 The Company’s failure would appear to be the result of:
- A history of trading losses, exacerbated since 2020 by the negative impact on revenue from the COVID-19 pandemic and reduced funding from RA since that time;
- Insufficient revenue being generated from sources other than RA, such as membership, sponsorship and game day revenue;
- An increasing expense base, including rising wage costs;
- Lack of readily available alternative funding sources to meet the material net asset shortfall and trading losses; and
- Failure to manage its statutory and lease liabilities.

 The Company appears to have maintained adequate books and records.

 The Directors have raised several issues, including what it believes to be potential claims against RA. My investigations into these matters are ongoing. These are complex issues, and I am not yet able to opine on the merits or otherwise of these claims.

 My preliminary view is that the Company may have been insolvent from at least 31 December 2018.