• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Also half the fans will be international, as a travelling fan I'd rather a sports event in Richmond rather than Homebush or Brisbane.
0ef2898db741d569639ff95d0d68a7a2.gif

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have very limited information,

25 creditors accepted $19mil of remuneration, $0 rejected. It’s carried

Sorry for the dumb questions but what does this mean for the Rebels future/Tarniet proposal?

Does this mean that $19 mil is what the final debt number is?

EDIT - I now see the article below.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Sorry for the dumb questions but what does this mean for the Rebels future/Tarniet proposal?

Does this mean that $19 mil is what the final debt number is?
Means we live to keep fighting for survival, not out of the woods, but 1 step closer

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"The Rebels consortium must jump two hurdles before it can retain control of the company: Rugby Australia handing back the licence for the Super Rugby competition, and the Australian Taxation Office releasing the directors from their personal liability over the club’s $11.5 million in tax debts."

These seem like monumental hurdles, particularly the ATO one.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The Rebels consortium must jump two hurdles before it can retain control of the company: Rugby Australia handing back the licence for the Super Rugby competition, and the Australian Taxation Office releasing the directors from their personal liability over the club’s $11.5 million in tax debts.
This is the significant part - can't see the ATO being too keen, regardless of RA's likelihood of handing back the license.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
The DOCA says the consortium has 7 days to pay an initial contribution, which is the 15% + paying the administrator. Guestimate - that is $3m.

They then need to pay the outstanding employee dues in a month or so - another $1.5m ish

Rodzilla

Bob McCowan (2)
This is the significant part - can't see the ATO being too keen, regardless of RA's likelihood of handing back the license.
The consortium has to sue RA and then ask for the licence back.
I agree regarding the ATO. They don't support the DOCA and it wont be great publicity if they are seen to favour a sporting club at the same time going so hard after SME's and the directors.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
It's actually entirely up to the director's from here. They have committed to re-capitalising and operating the Rebels for two years based on their own set conditions.

They can still do that if either ATO or RA don't come to the party by waiving the condition.

The obligations of the Directors and the Investor Group set out in item 11 are subject to and conditional on:
a) the ATO providing a release of the Directors in respect of the DPNs (DPN Condition); and
b) RA confirming in writing that the Participation Right remains, or the Court making a declaration that the Participation Right is, in full force and effect (Participation Condition).
One or both of the DPN Condition and the Participation Condition may be waived by the Deed Proponents in their absolute discretion.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
The ATO could choose to enter into another payment plan, then it's up to Phil.
Could, yes. I suppose it'll depend on their previous arrangements and confidence in receiving payment. I can't see them dropping the DPNs altogether though, which is what's being asked of them. Horrible precedent as @Rodzilla says

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Regardless, I'm happy that it's not the end of the road for the Rebels yet. Hopefully they can find a way forward that satisfies all parties and changes are made that result in a sustainable team in Melbourne.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
There is a provision to commence legal action against RA for the alleged debts regardless of the outcome with the ATO. The funds recovered will be used to bring the creditors other than the excluded creditors (the directors) up to $0.35 in the dollar. All money recovered above that goes to the ATO.

There is another provision that enables MRRU to go after RA for the licence as soon as they make the initial funding contribution.

I think there is only one certainty here - its going to be messy, drawn out, public and expensive.

Top Bottom