• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So.. what are we thinking squad wise? Obviously Wallaby and Soup allocations are not worked out for a little bit, but Dewar Shield boys.

Will there be a heavier focus of the younger crowd, and in particular the EPS? Will the older and stronger performers from last year, who've stayed in VIC go around again? Who're the not so young ones that deserve a shot too?

The ones who stick in my head from last year were Angus Hamlton, Lloyd Johanssen, Rennie Lautolu-Molimau, Sione Taufa and Tuiatua Tui. OJ Noa, Joe Kamana and Sefa obviously in different places.

The under 20s I'd probably say Billy Gray, Ta Hosea, Jade Murray, both Sa'agas, Pat Teota, Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano and Sione Tuipuloto, from what I've seen and heard at least.

Felipe Koroibola is the one I like from Box Hill who fits neither of the above. Not as talented as Sefa, but in a similar mould. Probably good enough for this level at least.

Anything else to add or suggest.

T

Train Without a Station

Fereti Sa'aga (prop), Sam Vereker-Bindon (6, 7 and 8), Mikey Leu Leong (8) and Hughie Forbes (lock/6) are a couple of MU players who could come into contention from what I hear. Possibly captain Sam Richards (lock) also with Neville gone and depending on if his replacement is in Melbourne for the Rising season and if Jones is at the RWC.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Stacy Ili from MU would be in with a shot, however I haven't seen him around for the last few rounds. Any info TWAS?

T

Train Without a Station

I've heard through the grapevine that he's back in NZ. Not sure if that's correct though.

In the backs I'd say Taiso Leaana would be a good chance. Possibly Ioane Sefo and Nuia Puaka also.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Stacy Ili from MU would be in with a shot, however I haven't seen him around for the last few rounds. Any info TWAS?

I've heard through the grapevine that he's back in NZ. Not sure if that's correct though.

In the backs I'd say Taiso Leaana would be a good chance. Possibly Ioane Sefo and Nuia Puaka also.

i think Stacy Ili is back in NZ on an ITM contract for ?

T

Train Without a Station

i think Stacy Ili is back in NZ on an ITM contract for ?

I know before he came over he'd already played for Auckland. Not sure if it was senior or colts level though. Highly likely he was a Brad Mika recruit based on geographical origin.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rising games on Fox Sports:
Round 3 Thurs 3 Sept v North Harbour Rays at Manly Oval, Manly at 7:30pm
Round 8 v NSW Country Eagles at Simmonds Stadium, Geelong at 7:30pm

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
That's OK I guess. Hopefully we can find a streaming partner for the other 3 home games, but I wouldn't be too confident.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
take the NRL's lead - approach google begging then say its a coup that google are on board....without any confirmation of interest

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Rising games on Fox Sports:
Round 3 Thurs 3 Sept v North Harbour Rays at Manly Oval, Manly at 7:30pm
Round 8 v NSW Country Eagles at Simmonds Stadium, Geelong at 7:30pm

Other matches
Round 1 Sun 23 Aug v Qld Country at Bond University, Gold Coast at 3:30pm
Round 2 Sat 29 Aug v Brisbane City at Harlequins 2pm
Round 4 Bye
Round 5 Sat 19 Sept v Greater Sydney Rams at Latrobe City, Morwell 2pm
Round 6 Sat 26 Sept v Perth Spirit at McGillivray Fields, Perth 3:30pm
Round 7 Fri 2 Oct v UC Vikings at Vikings Park, Canberra 7:30pm
Round 9 Sun 18 Oct v Sydney Stars at Frankston Oval, Frankston 1:30pm

BTW match at Geelong is on Thursday 8 Oct.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
35 players from the Direct Connect Dewar Shield have been selected in the Melbourne Rising’s 2015 Extended Training Squad (ETS).
Each of the nine Dewar Shield Clubs are represented in the squad, who will begin training regularly next week before being cut back at the end of July, while nine players who were in the final squad for last year’s Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) return.
They are Angus Hamilton, Lloyd Johansson Pom Simona and Sione Taufa (all Harlequin), Frank Amituanai and Shane Imo (Footscray), Rennie Lautolo-Molimau and Junior Paila (Endeavour Hills), and Fereti Sa’aga (Melbourne Uni).
Sa’aga is joined in the squad by his Australian U20s teammate, centre Sione Tuipulotu (Southern Districts), while four of their teammates from the Melbourne Rebels’ Emerging Players Program have also been selected; Jade Murray, Isi Tevi, Pat Toeta and Jordan Uelese.
Former Highlanders fullback Lucky Mulipola (Melbourne Unicorns) and Cook Islands representative Justin Marsters (Harlequin) are also in the ETS.
Melbourne Rising selectors will continue to monitor the Dewar Shield competition and may invite additional members to join the ETS during the coming six weeks.
2015 Melbourne Rising Extended Training Squad:
Amituanai, Frank (Footscray, Lock)
Andrews, Mitch (Melb Unicorns, Hooker)
Cocker-Valu, Josh (Melb Uni, Wing)
Diack, Tim (Footscray, Back Row)
Douglas, Murray (Harlequin, Back Row)
Faraimo, Mana (Moorabbin, Back Row)
Forbes, Hugh (Melb Uni, Lock)
Hafoka, Sema (Box Hill, Back Row)
Hamilton, Angus (Harlequin, Lock)
Imo, Shane (Footscray, Flyhalf)
Johansson, Lloyd (Harlequin, Centre)
Lautolo-Molimau, Rennie (Endeavour Hills, Wing)
Leavasa, Potu Jnr. (Endeavour Hills, Back Row)
Manu, Ata (Melb Unicorns, Prop)
Maradonna, Farao (Harlequin, Scrumhalf)
Marsters, Justin (Harlequin, Fullback)
Mulipola, Lucky (Melb Unicorns, Fullback)
Murray, Jade (Moorabbin, Scrumhalf)
Noa, Sakaria (Southern Districts, Back Row)
Onesemo, Matt (Melb Uni, Prop)
Paese, Charles (Harlequin, Hooker)
Pailia, Junior (Endeavour Hills, Scrumhalf)
Sa'aga, Fereti (Melb Uni, Prop)
Seveti, Bill (Box Hill, Wing)
Silafai, Taiso (Melb Uni, Centre)
Simona, Pom (Harlequin, Back Row)
Taliu, Leo (Harlequin, Centre)
Ta'ufo'uo, Stan (Harlequin, Hooker)
Teo, Manni (Endeavour Hills, Hooker)
Tevi, Isieli (Back Row, Power House)
Toeta, Pat (Moorabbin, Flyhalf)
Tuafua, Sione (Harlequin, Back Row)
Tuipolotu, Sione (Southern Districts, Centre)
Tyler, Mike (Power House, Prop)
Uelese, Jordan (Melb Uni, Hooker)

T

Train Without a Station

Thoughts on the top 2 teams having 2 (Box Hill) and 6 (Uni) players represented?

Compare that to Footscray (3), Unicorns (3), Quins (9), Moorabin (3), Hills (4), Souths (2) and Powerhouse (2) you have to wonder how much form has been rewarded.

I'm finding it hard to reconcile a team outside the top 2 with 9 reps. Even harder when you consider that in the one game a large number of those players were called upon (last years NRC semi), it was the first loss the team suffered.

Also hard to reconcile Box Hill having less than all bar 2 teams, despite being top of the ladder with a single loss.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So Greg Bauer, OJ Noa, Martin Naufahu, Joe Kamana, Tuia Tuiatui, Rueben Rolleston and Sefanaia Naivalu are all gone from last year's local players, for various reasons.

A few of the boys from the EPP are also not there, the ones that strike me are Ta Hosea and Billy Gray, any news on those blokes?

Otherwise it looks a decent squad. Top up with 15 or so Super players and we should be a good side, even if we don't reach the heights of last season,

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty sure the Quins number is only 1 and there is 1 Uni player and none from Box Hill.

pablo

Darby Loudon (17)
RE Billy and Ta, they are both behind a few players, remember this is only the club players...factor in the S15 players and there are slim chances that either of them will get game time (yes I realise the value of participating in the squad environment).

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Putting them into positions seems like the backrow will be a concern. Will be interesting to see if Timani will play lock or 8 in the squad (if he plays).
Manu, Ata (Melb Unicorns, Prop)
Onesemo, Matt (Melb Uni, Prop)
Sa'aga, Fereti (Melb Uni, Prop)
Tyler, Mike (Power House, Prop)

Andrews, Mitch (Melb Unicorns, Hooker)
Paese, Charles (Harlequin, Hooker)
Ta'ufo'uo, Stan (Harlequin, Hooker)
Teo, Manni (Endeavour Hills, Hooker)

Uelese, Jordan (Melb Uni, Hooker)

Amituanai, Frank (Footscray, Lock)
Forbes, Hugh (Melb Uni, Lock)

Diack, Tim (Footscray, Back Row)
Douglas, Murray (Harlequin, Back Row)
Faraimo, Mana (Moorabbin, Back Row)

Hafoka, Sema (Box Hill, Back Row)
Leavasa, Potu Jnr. (Endeavour Hills, Back Row)
Noa, Sakaria (Southern Districts, Back Row)
Simona, Pom (Harlequin, Back Row)
Tevi, Isieli (Power House, Back Row)
Tuafua, Sione (Harlequin, Back Row)

Maradonna, Farao (Harlequin, Scrumhalf)
Murray, Jade (Moorabbin, Scrumhalf)
Pailia, Junior (Endeavour Hills, Scrumhalf)

Imo, Shane (Footscray, Flyhalf)
Toeta, Pat (Moorabbin, Flyhalf)

Johansson, Lloyd (Harlequin, Centre)
Silafai, Taiso (Melb Uni, Centre)

Taliu, Leo (Harlequin, Centre)
Tuipolotu, Sione (Southern Districts, Centre)

Cocker-Valu, Josh (Melb Uni, Wing)
Lautolo-Molimau, Rennie (Endeavour Hills, Wing)

Seveti, Bill (Box Hill, Wing)

Marsters, Justin (Harlequin, Fullback)
Mulipola, Lucky (Melb Unicorns, Fullback)

T

Train Without a Station

Pretty light on in the props too.

PAE will be gone, Gillespie is gone, Weeks will be gone, Smith could be gone. Leaves Ah Nau and Metcher plus these 4 to fill 4 positions in the 23.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You forgot Gus Hamilton there EF.

Obviously the balance of the team will depend on who's selected from the Soup as well, but I don't think at this stage it would be unfair to suggest that Fereti Sa'aga, Gus Hamilton, Sione Taufa, Sione Tuipulotu and RLM would be in the final squad.

The EPP boys that made this squad will probably be favoured a little bit as well (Isi Tevi, Jordan Uelese, Jade Murray and Pat Teota).

How "fit" is Lucky? He's got a good resume and will probably make it as long as he's not at near Lloyd "Calves of Steel" Fatty Johanssen levels of unfitness.

Status
Not open for further replies.