• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne v Sydney club game to be the curtain raiser for the Rebels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Melbourne-Sydney rugby grudge match

AAMI Park wlll host a Melbourne-Sydney grade representative match before the big Melbourne Rebels- Sharks match on March 11. Picture: Alex Coppel Source: Herald Sun

MELBOURNE and Sydney are set to face off in a new annual rugby grudge match.

The brainchild of the new Sydney Rugby Union, who take over the management of the Sydney club competition this month, the match has been scheduled as a curtain raiser to the Melbourne Rebels Super Rugby home game against South Africa's Sharks on March 11.

Sydney Rugby Union chairman Chris Birch said the selection processes for both city teams would ensure an even battle.

"Melbourne will be using a lot of the players they've got who are on Super Rugby contracts who may not be playing in the main game,'' he said today.

"Whereas our team will be chosen purely from the 12 clubs in Sydney.''

The launch of the Rebels in the 2011 Super Rugby competition will give the game a huge boost in Victoria, Birch said, while the annual curtain raiser will give an "edge to intercity rivalry''.

He said the match will give young Sydney players the opportunity to impress.

"This is to provide another platform for the grade players who play in the Shute Shield (Sydney club competition) who don't make a Super Rugby team to be able to ply their wares in front of a much larger audience,'' he said.

''(Then) later on this season, next season, all of these Super Rugby franchises will be looking for more players (and) it means a few of these fellas will to be able to show their wares in front the overseas clubs as well.''

Birch said Sydney would select players who performed well last year as well as some experienced campaigners.

''(There will be) a few of the older players who have been there and done that but aren't doing Super football anymore, you know to help and give a bit of guidance to the younger fellas,'' Birch said.

He said several games were planned for the Sydney team in 2011, including the return of the traditional clash with Country, and future years could see midweek matches against touring international sides.

Should be a good contest.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Great idea. No reason why this can't be extended to the other provinces. Should be good.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree - it's a great idea. I would say that it's thinking outside the box but it's not because many folks in this forum have mentioned similar ideas in the past.

It's just good that some rugby alickadoos are thinking differently for a change. The new look Sydney Rugby Union are to be congratulated. It looks like they're an outfit who will boldly go where .......

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if somebody could convince Fox that it needs to be broadcast with the main event.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe... I think it would be the biggest thing G&GR have done yet. A single camera and live commentary stream. Is it possible? Do we have the resources?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe... I think it would be the biggest thing G&GR have done yet. A single camera and live commentary stream. Is it possible? Do we have the resources?

Well, the screening of the Aussie Baba matches proved reasonably successful, one fixed camera, a facebook integration feature and perhaps 1 or 2 blokes spouting some banter (but that's optional).

Perhaps G&GR could emulate that? They'd certainly have the resources if they could get the appropriate permission to screen the game. The one issue is the game would be only for die-hards (who would mostly already be attending the game).

But if you do it shotty being the Melbourne corespondent!

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
For interest folks the Rebels b team that is playing Sydney on the 5th of march is also playing the Aust. Barbarians as a curtain raiser to the opening night against the Waratahs on Feb 18

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What you need to do is to get onto a TAFE media department that has an OB unit and hire them to handle the production side of things which in turn gives their students industry style training.

The CIT media department in Canberra has broadcast quality equipment and their students have been used to film rugby matches as well as live concerts, forums and other events as part of their course.

T

TOCC

logistically streaming games is a lot harder then you might think, the biggest issue you need to consider is the bandwidth requirements and where your access point will be

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What you need to do is to get onto a TAFE media department that has an OB unit and hire them to handle the production side of things which in turn gives their students industry style training.

The CIT media department in Canberra has broadcast quality equipment and their students have been used to film rugby matches as well as live concerts, forums and other events as part of their course.

Having said this it wouldn't work in this setting with Fox Sports etc.

Ham

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm interested in when the 'several games planned for the Sydney team in 2011' will occur. As much as I would love to see the Sydney v Country game I don't want to see the Shute Shield raped of its best players every couple of weeks for these fixtures.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Having said this it wouldn't work in this setting with Fox Sports etc.

Given Fox is already there with a crew onsite, the thought occurs that they would be best placed to provide a feed. Maybe the ARU or Rebels could politely ask on G&GR behalf for a video feed?

B

Brum

Possible Sydney team?

1. Ofa Fainga'anuku
2. Atonio Halangahu
3. Lotu Taukeiaho
4. Rome Nifo
5. Ed Gower
6. Will Brame
7. Seilala Lam
8. Paulie Tuala
9. Jeremy Sua
10. Dave Harvey
11. Henry Seavula
12. Sione Piukala
13. Chris Moore
14. Stan Tuionuku
15. Gavin Debartolo

If this team had the chance to train together a few times before the game to work out combinations I believe they would be a stern test for any team. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think all of these players aren't currently contracted by any super franchise and are playing Sydney grade next year.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Antonio has gone o/s, Nifo's seen better days, there are better centres than Moore running around and Deba was running around in 2's at the end of the season.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Possible Sydney team?

1. Ofa Fainga'anuku
2. Atonio Halangahu
3. Lotu Taukeiaho
4. Rome Nifo
5. Ed Gower
6. Will Brame
7. Seilala Lam
8. Paulie Tuala
9. Jeremy Sua
10. Dave Harvey
11. Henry Seavula
12. Sione Piukala
13. Chris Moore
14. Stan Tuionuku
15. Gavin Debartolo

If this team had the chance to train together a few times before the game to work out combinations I believe they would be a stern test for any team. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think all of these players aren't currently contracted by any super franchise and are playing Sydney grade next year.

The big question with this is what happens if the guys are linked with a wider training squad that isn't the Tahs, does the Sydney Union owe allegiance to the Tahs?

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
There are 6 Sydney grade players in the Rebels wider training group who will be playing for the Rebels b team in this game,

Alex Rocabaro Uni
Dan Kelly Uni
Lua Voiloaloa Parra
Selala Lam Randwick
Sam Latinipalu Souths
Eddie Aohei manly

Status
Not open for further replies.