• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne's Rectangular Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Eye-catching.

http://www.thecoolhunter.com.au/article/detail/1592/melbournes-rectangular-stadium
http://www.cox.com.au/projects.aspx?projectId=2595&disciplineId=1125

Capacity 31,000

Melbourne expects its new Rectangular Stadium to not only contribute to the city’s sporting life, but also to be a focal point of the city’s Olympic Sports Park and Entertainment Precinct — only a short walk from the city center.

Fractured architecture is slowly becoming synonymous with 21st-century architecture in Melbourne. From the honeycomb concrete façade of Federation Square, to the steel tubing we recently wrote about on the city’s new recital centre, the bio-frame roof of the Rectangular Stadium already looks like it belongs. The roof will be covered with thousands of LED lights that can shine in many colors. They will be programmed to follow patterns that mimic the crowd’s energy during a match — soccer with Victory or rugby with Storm — or any other game or event.

Is this a greenfield site, or is it a redevelopment of an existing ground?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The roof will be covered with thousands of LED lights that can shine in many colors.

Now that is cool.

But why only build it to 31k capacity? I reckon they should push for at least 40k.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
It's finally starting to look good when going past. They say it will be ready early 2010. Not sure where the greenfield site is, but it's right next to Olympic Park (horrid stadium) on Swann St. Within walking distance to Rod Laver, Sports Museum, MCG and the new gymnastic/athletics centre.

Small could be good, there's nothing worse than a empty stadium. Big games they can play at Etihad/Telstra Dome which can cram in about 74,000 or the MCG which can get to 100,000. The distance from the field is always a problem though.

You can see how the lights are going to work here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQULwo8jj0Q

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Small could be good, there's nothing worse than a empty stadium. Big games they can play at Etihad/Telstra Dome which can cram in about 74,000 or the MCG which can get to 100,000. The distance from the field is always a problem though.

I thought Etihad was only around 55k?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Its too beautiful to spoil by releasing the club rugby reserve graders that shall make up the Melbourne Muppets.

C

chief

Can I just say it looks fucking awesome. I hope they upgrade it (possible?) for future Wallaby matches.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
naza said:
Its too beautiful to spoil by releasing the club rugby reserve graders that shall make up the Melbourne Muppets.

Stop hoarding talent and we'll put a better team on the pitch. :fishing

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
RugbyFuture said:
i think we should be worried melbournians are refferring to mungoball as rugby

If that's all you know, that's what you say.

I've been informing and (hopefully) educating my mates.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Scarfman said:
Looks a bit heavy on the goal-end seating. Needs another tier side-on.

Its the way the soccer fans like it.

As for the greenfield question from the OP, it is being built where the old Olympic Park 2 stadium was before they demoed it to construct the Burnley Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.