• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mexican Wave not extinct, just endangered. Small pocket clings to life at Lang Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
All 3 of my kids saw their first Mexican Wave at the REDS game on Saturday night. We were all in different parts of the ground, so the experience was somewhat different:

• Middle child, eldest son and known on his u11 Rugby team as the Prop with Wings or The Enforcer. Sitting with his mate and Rugby Tragic (and his family), behind the posts with the yahoos. He was standing on his seat yelling as the waves rolled over him.
  • Eldest child and daughter was with her bestie, her besties' Mum (referenced under MILF in the Urban Dictionary) and Mums much younger muscle bound boyfriend (who I have nicknamed Tonka for a variety of reasons that he seems oblivious to). She was, totally, like, chillax peeps, whats with the yoyoing? OMG how embarrassing. People are so weird at these things.
  • Youngest son, 8, playing up a year in Junior Rugby on heart not skill, with me in the Lang Park Trust section on a mate's parent's tickets with the more mature members of the crowd. He was all "C'mon Dad, we need to stand up when it comes around. It keeps stopping in our bit, the guys under the posts are booing us!" It was, they were and we did.
It didn't help. I'm pretty sure it whimpered to a halt along our side of the stand after a few goes around.

I have to say though - it was good to see the wave make an appearance, even it was a bit of a distraction from the game. And there did not appear to be any twits throwing stuff, so it was all in good fun.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
We sit right on the border between gold and platinum and the difference in participation was quite pronounced.

I gave it a few goes and my brother gave me the evils for being a yahoo. I agrued back that the players had switched of long before the crowd had and that the wave was just a message to them that we expect better or we'd find other ways to entertain ourselves. I thought it was and fun hopefully sent a message, although did get a bit tedious and I was happy to see it end.

T

trophyhunter

Yes, we did comment on the 'mature' section who were not all that keen on the wave, but it was kind of cool to see one, its been a while.
I was pretty glad no one went stupid and threw rubbish and stuff, but then again it wasn't a mungo game.
It got a couple of laps done so it wasn't a completely poor effort.

It was a bit distracting, but if the game was more of an edge of your seat affair, I wouldn't have cared about the wave.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
If it was a Kiwi team I would have understood. I haven't seen waves like I saw in NZ during RWC before in my life, and I doubt I ever will again. They were relentless, every game.

Except the final, I think the kiwis in the crowd were too busy covering their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.