• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

modelling foam

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
any hobbyists/designers out there want to give me tips on modelling high density foam. been a year and a bit at uni now and still not getting the hang of it. i know the basics like hot wire cutters etc but still.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What are you modelling?

I used to be into R/C aircraft and we built wings out of high density foam. Built our own cutters with high resistance wire from Dick Smith and jumper leads to a car battery. The trick to a good cut was patience - let the wire melt the foam and don't force it, and above all a good template. We used craftwood in the shape of the cross section with progress numbers every 10% of the distance. The templates had to be smooth to stop the wire getting stuck, and we'd read the numbers out as we went. The toughest part for us was the leading edge of the wing as it is quite a sharp curve, so we started at the tail and went forward to get our rhythm right at the end.

Once you've done a good cut you still need to lightly sand the foam.. and you've no doubt noticed how bulky the offcuts are, we used to disolve them into an icecream bucket with a bit of 4 stroke, suprising how flamable this mix was..

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well currently (due tommorrow) im modelling a camera i designed based off hasselblads and a military scope, using paper and cardboard templates i make myself

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Moses said:
What are you modelling?

I used to be into R/C aircraft and we built wings out of high density foam. Built our own cutters with high resistance wire from Dick Smith and jumper leads to a car battery. The trick to a good cut was patience - let the wire melt the foam and don't force it, and above all a good template. We used craftwood in the shape of the cross section with progress numbers every 10% of the distance. The templates had to be smooth to stop the wire getting stuck, and we'd read the numbers out as we went. The toughest part for us was the leading edge of the wing as it is quite a sharp curve, so we started at the tail and went forward to get our rhythm right at the end.

Once you've done a good cut you still need to lightly sand the foam.. and you've no doubt noticed how bulky the offcuts are, we used to disolve them into an icecream bucket with a bit of 4 stroke, suprising how flamable this mix was..

Moses, as I'm interested in making foils for the 505, I'd be seriously interested in a more detailed description of how you set up the template and the offsets. :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! :)

OK, when I played Warhammer 40K I did a bit of foam modelling, but after the wire cutters and craft knives, that was about it.

Good light sandpaper is a must to get just the shape you want IMHO.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Hey Thomo, I've done a dodgy mspaint picture...... the thing about our process is we were in school at the time with very little cash, so everything was done as cheap as possible.
What's a 505?

Our wingspan was about 1800mm, we were making smallish gliders to throw off cliffs.
While the standard wing aerofoil is double-sided, we found it easier to make them with a flat bottom and then shape the leading edge manually. We'd use a long cheap hobby knife to cut along the red line, then sand it to be round along the length of the wing.
The green circles are for nails, they hold the template to the foam.
The numbers are read out as you're cutting, we'd say 1/4 ... 1/2 ... 3/4 ... 1. If one bloke gets ahead then the other guy has to catch up. Trick is to go real slow, let the wire cut rather than tear it through the foam.
Once we've got the wing shaped, we'd cut the wing and insert a wooden spar then glue it in with a two-part 5 minute epoxy (araldite). We'd also cut a slight angle in the middle so when the two halves of the wing are put together there's a slight (say 5 degree) V in the wings. We'd also make a hardwood wing joiner that would be maybe 6 inches long on each side and join the two halves near the spar.
Then we'd sand it nice and smooth, and it's ready for covering, which we'd do by mixing a PVC glue (aquadere) with water then painting it on the wing and sticking brown kitchen paper to the foam. This was a lightweight covering that also strengthened the foam quite a bit. Then we'd paint it and it's ready.

Attachments

• Wing.PNG
    Wing.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 219

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Unless he has one of these - and it wouldn't fly even with a Saturn V rocket up its clacker!!

Peugeot_505_Sedan.jpg

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
That's a 504.

My 505, as it happens, is Aussie. Made by Terry Kyrwood, now of Port Macquarie. :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.