• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

mungos win schoolboy sevens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rugbywhisperer

Don't be too quick to go the league v union path here.
3 of the team - and may I suggest 3 of the better players are Rugby proteges.
Caden Matahaere - Qld Schools II last year - Nudgee #10 - Ex ARU contract
Dion Tiumata - current GC Breakers #10 - Qld Schools last year and should be Qld Schools #10 this year
Corbin Kiernan - TSS 2nd XV last year - would have struggled to make TSS 1st this year but a very handy player

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
oh im just wary of the mungo medias portrayal of it all in that case, but i have to correct you in your statement, it aint union v league, its rugby v league or rugby v mungoball...

R

rugbywhisperer

Point taken and sincere apologies - it's nornally a point I don't confuse.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I wouldn't read too much into it. 7s is all about beating the man 1-on-1, a feature of both codes.

I'm honestly surprised League doesn't try to use 7s to develop more of it's player's 1-on-1 abilities.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
John O'Neill must be very happy about this. League's juniors playing rugby is a win for us particularly with the Olympics angle and a new super team on the way. I don't care that they have won. If anything, it might help to convince them to choose rugby rather than league.

T

TOCC

i dont care whether its a league school or not, at the end of the day they are playing rugby union, this can only be a good thing in the long term

R

rugbywhisperer

As I said earlier, 3 of them are rugby players BUT, Dion is the only one who is good enough to go on in Rugby - he is a very good player. He is the only one worth pursuing by Rugby though IMHO.
Caden is trying to resurrect a dying rugby career by repeating. He was dropped from the NC 1stXV last year after the TSS game and never recovered. Too fat and too slow for a good rugby pivot - was an exceptiional player in 13's - 15's but has been overshadowed by others coming through.

The rest are just too league oriented in their play. Some will or should have reasonable league careers.
With their school being literally a stones throw from TSS many have been looked and none were considered 'worthy', although Dion apparently knocked back an offer from TSS.

I can see however the ARU making some sort of claim against some of these players but really, they aren't good rugby players except Dion.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone know if there are any Schoolboy Sevens Tournamnets on this year. last year there were two played in Sydney - one was won by Keebra Park and the other by an NTS team

zacf01

Stan Wickham (3)
Qld Schools 7 championships are on at Ballymore Wed 16th March. Bigger program this year with GPS, TAS, AIC and regional teams all competing

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
As a few have pointed out, keep an eye on league players trying 7's, especially in a few years time when the heat gets turned up in preparation for a gold medal tilt. If a proper national comp or system was established with an olympic/15's pathway in mind, you might see quite a few try their hand at it.
Coming from a club that has struggled to put a colts side out in the past 4-5 years, anything that could assist in attracting players into the fold is worth looking at.

Personally, I'd love to see more 7's played over the off season. In Canberra, there is barely anything, aside from the Queanbeyan 7's which were held last weekend. It's so good for speed, technique and fitness - more enjoyable than hanging around a gym in my opinion.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Caden is trying to resurrect a dying rugby career by repeating. He was dropped from the NC 1stXV last year after the TSS game and never recovered. Too fat and too slow for a good rugby pivot - was an exceptiional player in 13's - 15's but has been overshadowed by others coming through.

Cayden seemed to be doing well repping for combined states i think in 08/09. And then Jake Milne overtook him I think for the rest of the 09 season.

Do you know if either of them got pro recognition RW or have they lost it.

Same sort of question regarding the Hunt brothers Stefano and stephen if anyone knows anything

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Cayden seemed to be doing well repping for combined states i think in 08/09. And then Jake Milne overtook him I think for the rest of the 09 season.

Do you know if either of them got pro recognition RW or have they lost it.

Same sort of question regarding the Hunt brothers Stefano and stephen if anyone knows anything

Stefano originally went across to the Force. Haven't heard much since then though.

R

rugbyallblack

Don't be too quick to go the league v union path here.
3 of the team - and may I suggest 3 of the better players are Rugby proteges.
Caden Matahaere - Qld Schools II last year - Nudgee #10 - Ex ARU contract
Dion Tiumata - current GC Breakers #10 - Qld Schools last year and should be Qld Schools #10 this year
Corbin Kiernan - TSS 2nd XV last year - would have struggled to make TSS 1st this year but a very handy player
corbin never played 2nd 15 he played under 16s left tss at 16 year 12

R

rugbyallblack

corbin never played 2nd 15 he played under 16s left tss at 16 year 12 playing intrust super cup for easts now 19

Status
Not open for further replies.