• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

my crusade to have the UniverIty of Western Sydney renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I agree with the rebranding idea RF. I went to Hawkesbury from 92 to 95 after it was officially renamed UWS Hawkesbury in the late 80s but have never thought of it as UWS. I am still in contact with other grads of that time and we all say we went to Hawkesbury and never UWS. The job market was really tough to crack back then (especially for a very average student like myself) because the economy was just coming out of recession and, as you rightly pointed out, the phrase 'Western Sydney' is not always associated with academic prowess.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I did my undergrad at UNSW, masters at the London School of Economics and am now doing my doctorate at UWS. Having experienced the reactions to all three institutions, I can tell you that UWS gives you the most "oh, okay, right, well, I suppose" type of response, which is preposterous considering the standard of education there. And I think you're right, RF, that changing the name is a good idea and for exactly the reasons you say. I always feel like it makes UWS sound like it's somehow subordinate to Sydney Uni or something, when it really is an institution in its own right. What I don't agree with is naming it after Arthur Philip. Chifley, I like more. But even that doesn't really say UWS to me.

I think what makes UWS different to other institutions in Sydney is its diversity and vibrancy, both culturally and academically. In the Humanities, which I'm more familiar with, there's a lot of cutting edge stuff going on that just doesn't get the same look in elsewhere. The student population is more socially, culturally and geographically diverse -- there's a huge Muslim population, for example, as well as more kids from disadvantaged backgrounds. It's got its own identity that is very much New Australia, so to speak, and I don't think Arthur Philip captures that.

Of course, the devil's advocate position would be that UWS celebrates Western Sydney and is part of an ongoing effort to shake off stereotypes about the area. Changing the name wouldn't help do that.

Scarfy --- where do you work? I'm in the Writing & Society research group...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I believe a university needs to reflect both new and old to bring its brand to the fore. I purposely proposed a very modern logo in line with the sanctity and old world charm of Arthur Phillip. I would direct people to The university of Newcastle, my main inspiration for this project, and one of the best branding decisions in my opinion (in terms of new style, non heraldic design).

To me, Arthur Phillip is under appreciated as a man of the Australian people

I disagree that he cant represent the people of UWS

Arthur Phillip was a nobleman of the people, who came from being a farm boy to a hero of the people of Britain and Australia. He traveled and interacted with the world and founded western Sydney innovation.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Mate, you are clearly very passionate about this particular choice, which is a great start to getting any change happening.

Have you spoken to many in the uni community? Not just students, but academics and administrators...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Have you spoken to many in the uni community? Not just students, but academics and administrators...

I think this would be the issue. Nowadays Academics and administrators tend to be one and the same in most unis (part of cost cutting).

I've met many many academics both loverly ones and tossers but they, for the most part, don't tend to be great with getting things outside the academic world done.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You're basically right, but I'd also point out that a lot of academics in the "administration" track, especially those who've moved out of school positions and into central admin, are really administrators with an academic background, not "academics" per se.

The VC of UWS is definitely keen on giving the university a makeover... so she might be keen to shed the "western sydney" tag, even if she hasn't said so publicly.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
Mate, you are clearly very passionate about this particular choice, which is a great start to getting any change happening.

only really spoken to a few people, the head of my course didn't like it because of the name and stuff, but i reckon hes such a big lefty hes into the western sydney name.

most of the students, as i said previously didnt actually know who he was, complete farce, im just getting into it, so need to prepare once the holidays hit, i've only spoken to a couple of people doing doctorates at USyd since they're my mums friends.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
You're basically right, but I'd also point out that a lot of academics in the "administration" track, especially those who've moved out of school positions and into central admin, are really administrators with an academic background, not "academics" per se.

The VC of UWS is definitely keen on giving the university a makeover... so she might be keen to shed the "western sydney" tag, even if she hasn't said so publicly.

the only problem being i heard she was a high rate feminist, unlikely to name things after guys. but we'll see.

chifley as ive said before was vetoes because of political issues, im also unsure about his connection to western sydney, anyone like to fill me in?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
"i conducted a brand analysis (just in my head, and using wikipedia) look at the other universities in australia, and even in the UK, and none of any good rep are actually named after a subregion of a city. "

That not true, UCL University of Central London is one of the top Uni's here in London. Other excellent Uni's are Bristol and Warwick Universty...

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
none as vast and crime associated as western sydney. Central is a misnomer, not really a subregion, and aspires to be a central university and therefore associated with the greater business district rather than manufacturing one.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
You could suggest Western University. Simple and clean as well as similar to the original name but different enough to perhaps lose some of the stigma.

B

Burke's Boot

For various reasons i went to several unis including Macquarie, Sydney and UWS and the latter was the worst by an absolute country mile. Twice i got told i failed subjects when really some retard actually typed in the wrong numbers into the system.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How did you cope? I'm finishing up u/g at Syd atm and will probably be doing a masters at UTS so I somehow have to reverse years of snobbery and guffawing at ugly non-sandstone buildings

Any tips?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Get over it, cos no one but you is gonna give a flying fuck. :)

Seriously though, I reckon you might find the grad experience very different from undergrad. I certainly have (on my third degree now). I'd say make the most out of learning from your classmates -- in a lot of grad situations you'll get more from them than your profs.

Status
Not open for further replies.