• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

my crusade to have the UniverIty of Western Sydney renamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well as i said, it was originally supposed to be called chifley, but it was rejected on a political sense, but the engineering building continues to be named for him. i would say the same things would apply to keating and Whitlam.

I explored the ideas of Parkes and Barton as well as Banks and Cumberland, Parkes, as you rightly pointed out would cause confusion over its location, and might confront some catholics considering his staunchly anti catholic behaviour. Barton really didn't have a connection to the area amd cumberland would end in an abbreviation of UCum.

Macarthur was also an option, as well as James Ruse, but these two had a more defined geographical connection than the western sydney area.

Saying Arthur Phillip didn't have a connection to Western Sydney is incorrect, in fact, other than Henry Parkes (who lived in penrith) he has the greatest connection to the entirety of the area. He was the one who sent Macarthur and James Ruse, as well as many convicts out into western sydney to be industrious in creating a sustainable colony in terms of food and resources. Also remember that Government house was originally at Rose Hill, next to where Westmead hospital now is.

I've shown a few people this current idea and many have said the same thing about APU, the logo the usually say justifies it, and many also point out that it most likely wouldn't be called apu (pronounced apoo) because APU (aye-pee-you) is just as easy to say.

I also Justify it in the lack of Recognition for him, as he is one of the most important figures in Australian, and Sydney's history, yet has very little named after him, compared to people like Macquarie, Parkes, Cook and Banks, who are all engrained in the Australian Psyche, in fact some people in my course didn't even know who he was (which i thought was pretty disgraceful). He named Sydney, and led it for the first few decades of its life, he deserves more recognition.

I'll explore more options, but do think i put forward a pretty good argument (and branding)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How about taking an indigenous name, either from the geographic area or the people or nation?

It would certainly raise the Aborigine profile if there was a Uni with an Aboriginal name.

Closer to Sydney "Eora", or "Gadigal" names would be fitting. Not sure that these names are appropriate for campus in the west.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I've had that suggestion, but with consultation decided against it, based on the fact that people as a whole, wouldn't identify with an aboriginal name and it would probably raise some hatred amongst some circles.

it might also have an effect on tribal conflict arising from specific naming.

bennelong is a candidate, but doesnt have much connection with the area, as he was from the Field of mars area (ryde eastwood/macquarie), and buried there by James Squire.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
I also Justify it in the lack of Recognition for him, as he is one of the most important figures in Australian, and Sydney's history, yet has very little named after him, compared to people like Macquarie, Parkes, Cook and Banks

Port Philip Bay and Philip Island are named after him. What more could he want in terms of legacy than a V8 Supercar Enduro and a MotoGP round. ;)

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well he has phillip plaza in sydney and thats about it....for the place he named

he has more named for him in victoria than nsw

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sorry RF, I'm a splitter. Throw a logo for Chifley up and I'll pass it round to all the Humanities staff.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Chifley is also a suburb deep in Wicks territory. Between Matraville, La Parouse, Little Bay and Malabar.

Could this lead to any confusion.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
there you go scarfy, though i still prefer arthur phillip more, heres a mockup for you

Attachments

• Chifley.jpg
    Chifley.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 203

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Chifley Museum of Rail, perhaps? I love the way the word Chifley looks, though. Keep going. Do a proper bloody one.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
alright i'll have to look at how the other unis did it like i did with the arthur phillip style. interesting thing i found though whilst i was looking around

http://moadoph.gov.au/blog/article/ben-chifley-and-the-bathurst-football-club/

4399931020_7289330e71_o.jpg

Ben Chifley and the Bathurst Football Club

A recent addition to our collection is this photo, taken in 1911, of the Bathurst Football Club rugby union team, including future prime minister of Australia J. B. Chifley. Chifley appears in the middle row at right of picture.

The photo was recently scanned from the family collection of Lynne Pearson for the museum, by a family member aware of our particular interest in prime ministers. Sam Malloy, Coordinator of the Chifley Home at Bathurst, has commented that it is the best he has yet seen of Chifley in his rugby days.

Born in Bathurst on 22 September, 1885, Chifley was 26 when this photo was taken. He attended Patrician Brothers’ High School in Bathurst and worked as a cashier’s assistant in Bathurst, then as shop boy, cleaner, and railways fireman. This photo was taken 3 years before he graduated as a first-class locomotive engine driver at the age of 28 in 1914, then the youngest in New South Wales.

The Bathurst Football Club team members in the photo are, from left to right:

Back row: G. Riddell, H. Read, A. Godfrey, R. Tremain, V. Corcoran, (unknown), A. Mead and G. D. Donkin

Middle row: W. H. Crago, C. Lawford, L. Williams, C. Clayton, A. Dawson, P. Barratt, (unknown) and J. B. Chifley

Front row: G. Collier, C. Upfold, B. Heavener

Rugby was introduced to Bathurst in about 1870, possibly by E. T. and W. H. Webb, who played it at Newington College in Sydney. It began in an organised way from 1874 with the formation of the Bathurst Football Club. The district produced some famous players including Jess Dibley, Bert Reid, F. Henlen, Tom Palmer, the Barton Brothers and George Anlezark who went to England and coached Eton College. Anlezark was one of Australia’s most colourful rugby players in the early years of the 20th century and went on to become a dual international in union and league.

The photo’s caption has some further detail about the players in the photo and Bathurst rugby generally. It notes,

“Other players about the First World War period were D. Suttor, H. Broadfoot and H. Alport. Father M. Hall of St. Stanislaus’ College was selected to join a touring side but had to decline and two students of the College T. and J. Conway represented the State at other times. Several boys from All Saints college played for New South Wales or Australia, also."

we should start a "great men; great ruggers" section on the blog or something

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah I love those old school photos. The guy at the front on the right is a classic, loving the camera. And the guy up the back with the mo and boater.

They always look so unorganised, people just draped in odd spots. Old cricket photos are similar.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
well its about developing a wholistic approach, UWS has a bad name, logo and marketing, with a relatively good academic standard. What i'm trying to do, is develop that branding, logo and marketing ability to the same levels that UWS's academics are and aspire to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.