• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My two subjects for the week

• Thread starter Part of the union
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Part of the union

I would just like to make a few comments on the Wallabies.

1. I don't think we will see the best of this team this year. They have the right coach and mix of experience and youth to be a very good team in the next few years, but not yet.

2. The Wallabies in my view are not getting it right when it comes to numbers at the ruck. The Boks and the All Blacks seem to be better at knowing when to commit large numbers and when to hold back. We turn over way too much ball because of a lack of numbers at the breakdown.

3. Burges, he is a Nick Farr Jones without the pass. He needs to more accurate.

4. Our counter rucking and numbers at the breakdown have to be spot on against the Boks or we are gone by more then 15 points.

Social contacts.

Do members on this site ever meet for a few beers before a big test?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
G'Day PoTU,

1) I agree. Although I reckon this team can do a lot better this year. We gave Eden Park away, they didn't take it.

Point 2 feels right. Although I want to understand better exactly what happened in Auckland with this. About to trawl back through the footage (the pain.....)

3) I've been a Burgess fan/defender all along, but was shouting at the screen for him to come off. On re-watching the game, I don't think it was his general pass that was bad, he just made some fucking howlers. Again going through the footage to check this one.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sometimes I think. I'd be up for a couple with the Queenslanders. We could all have a cry about how crap our S14 team is.

T

The Amazing Tah-Man

1. I guess Deans is just hoping the tactic that served him so well at S14 level is fully translatable at international. Good to see the long midfield kicks back to the opposition were never sighted at least! Imagine trying that against the All Blacks.

2. I'm a worried that the youth/experience gap is a little too large. When Motlock goes soon there's no real (ignoring the travelling ACC) ready made replacement. We could experience a few aimless years like the All Blacks after Umaga left. I like Gits, but having him as our most experience back still worries me a little. Other then that I actually think this team is ready to do great things now.

3. I was a happier then most when Gregan finally moved on but I guess we really were spoiled by years of excellent passing and cool play. I remember I used to stare at the screen in disbelief if either Gregan made a basic mistake, now you just kind of expect it from Burgess. I'm kind of torn between saying "It's only his second international season" and "he should be old enough to learn to pass by now." Is there are term for excellent players who inexplicably fail at doing one of their most required duties on the field? The TPN effect perhaps?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Amazing Tah-Man said:
Gregan ... excellent passing and cool play.

Sorry? Are we talking about George Gregan? Or are you talking about before Gregan?

T

The Amazing Tah-Man

Talking about Gregan, sorry for the confusion. He was fiery little crab, but he definately excelled at scrumhalf for us.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Social contacts.

Do members on this site ever meet for a few beers before a big test?

I've only ever had a beer with Noddy but I'm always up for a beer with another poster before a test match or the Reds game.

4. Our counter rucking and numbers at the breakdown have to be spot on against the Boks or we are gone by more then 15 points.

I agree the Boks handled the negative & illegal play of the All Blacks much better than us, instead of waiting for the ref to ping an offisde AB some big Bok brute would just smash him out the way & get on with the game they really monstered the AB's at the breakdown.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Re: social stuff. Yep, it's happened quite a few times now.

Easiest thing to do is post a "who wants a beer before the Brisbane 3N game" kind of thing.

I like to try to get everyone together late in the year. We have our AGM in September. Which last year consisted of going to the Belgian Beer Cafe in Sydney.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gagger,
You're a freak I love it, good stuff.

1st breakdown was a joke Tialata was way offisde almost as bad as McCheat on the weekend against the boks when he walked up behind the ruck grabbed the ball & dived over to his side.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gagger,
How do you do all this stuff, I've always wanted to make my own little rugby clips to back up my arguments but have no idea.

That's unreal you should send this stuff to the rugby club for Kafes chalkboard 10 time better than that whole show.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
As mentioned before, if anyone's got anything they want hoiking out to put in a post or anything, just drop me & Moses a PM and we'll see what we can do.

I'm just about to go through the Newlands test, so if anyone's got any analysis ideas, let me know. (PM me ASAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.