• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Does the ARU make big money when the Bledisloe is played in Japan?
Winner of NRC plays the winner of the Japan comp in Japan, could it provide a good revenue kick and increased Fox Exposure.

The Bledisloe took place late October and Wilipedia says it generated the ARU approximately AUD $3.8m. Surely our best club, V their best club would be followed pretty heavily over there and create some good revenue and possibly Foxtel interest?

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Hi Guys, finally got on the forums. Strange having more than 140 characters! Anyway on to my raison d'être. I want to promote this competition as much as I can. Growing up in the rugby wastelands of WA In the 80/90's and living on the east coast it's what's been missing from the Aussie rugby scene for such a long time. I really hope it takes off and gets supported by the rugby going public. This may sound odd, but reading some posts here and elsewhere, it seems that there is quite a bit of negativity from certain sections of rugby supporters. Sure, some of it is a bit contrived and fake (Sydney Stars anyone?) but I will take that anyday over nothing.

Bill Pulver should be congratulated for instituting the new competition and hopefully a few lessons have been learned from the ARC. This leads me to one major concern, where is the promotion and marketing? It's less than 3 months away from kick off and hardly anything from the ARU. Maybe during the tests v France there could be an ad campaign, but I won't hold my breath.

That said, lets #growthegame #NRC

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hi Guys, finally got on the forums. Strange having more than 140 characters! Anyway on to my raison d'être. I want to promote this competition as much as I can. Growing up in the rugby wastelands of WA In the 80/90's and living on the east coast it's what's been missing from the Aussie rugby scene for such a long time. I really hope it takes off and gets supported by the rugby going public. This may sound odd, but reading some posts here and elsewhere, it seems that there is quite a bit of negativity from certain sections of rugby supporters. Sure, some of it is a bit contrived and fake (Sydney Stars anyone?) but I will take that anyday over nothing.

Bill Pulver should be congratulated for instituting the new competition and hopefully a few lessons have been learned from the ARC. This leads me to one major concern, where is the promotion and marketing? It's less than 3 months away from kick off and hardly anything from the ARU. Maybe during the tests v France there could be an ad campaign, but I won't hold my breath.

There you go one post one like.
Welcome to a great SWOT business plan, ARU should appreciate all the free contribution.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Does the ARU make big money when the Bledisloe is played in Japan?
Winner of NRC plays the winner of the Japan comp in Japan, could it provide a good revenue kick and increased Fox Exposure.
Triangular end of season showcase v ITM and Japanese champs? Money spinner if played in Japan I would think. Maybe...

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Some news soon from QLD about coaching apparently. I thought maybe RG was being given the boot from the reds and given QLD country to ruin :) Any front runners there? The rams have some things coming soon too.

The Butts

Herbert Moran (7)
Chatting to a little birdie yesterday (already been called into the Ray's squad) and told that final selections will be announced on June 30. There has already been a meeting for the squad and outlines of itinerary, etc. revealed.
Looking good for the Rays.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)

There probably isn't much point in marketing at present.
Even the Super 15 comp goes quiet while the test series is on. Basically the followers can only really focus on a few things at any one time. I would think that marketing will take a step up when S15 takes a step down i.e during the finals.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
There probably isn't much point in marketing at present.
Even the Super 15 comp goes quiet while the test series is on. Basically the followers can only really focus on a few things at any one time. I would think that marketing will take a step up when S15 takes a step down i.e during the finals.
Sorry to disagree but we need that marketing now. The whole point of this competition in most people's view I speak to, is to grow the pool of players in Australia. Now it needs cash at the end of the day to work, and getting the punters into the games and watching on TV (don't get me started on Free to Air rugby in Oz!) Promoting the competition now is vital in my opinion to get bums on seats and get people excited about it. Don't wait for Super Rugby to finish-build it up as something better than Super Rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@NationalRugbyChamps, Welcome to Gaggerland. Good to see you aboard. There is only so much you can do in the twittersphere.

Lots of fun to be had here.

In terms of Marketing, I reckon you NRC needs to be pushing its product right now, targeting the Shute Shield, John 1 Dent, BrisVegas Prem Rugby and other comps in state and regional centres. The punters need to see it as a simple and logical adjunct to the Shute Shield, John 1 Dent etc.

There is some good excitement happening in the Shute Shield at the moment. The current tribes need to be given reasons to adopt their new tribes. Easy for some, as there is a good geographic mapping, Manly ->Rays, Parramatta -> Rams, Brisbane City and the rest, ACT -> Canberra Uni Vikings etc.

There are some areas where the current rusted on supporters probably feel a degree of disenfranchisement, (Wicks, Beasts and Hobbits) and some efforts may need to convince them that the NSW Country Eagles and Sydney Rams (respectively) are the tribal bandwagon to get on.

Don't underestimate the reach and influence of ABC TV Shute Shield Coverage. NRC need to get updates introduced into the weekly 1/2 time Rugby Wrap segment.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
The trouble is money guys. There's not much around nor time, nor management structures in place to do these types of things this year. I think some teams are doing their best to get in touch with their fans, particularly two of the sydney ones, but others are staying silent, overall from what I'm hearing its not a priority for alot of people involved with both super rugby and shute shield happening.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
The Bledisloe took place late October and Wilipedia says it generated the ARU approximately AUD $3.8m. Surely our best club, V their best club would be followed pretty heavily over there and create some good revenue and possibly Foxtel interest?

A few years ago Easts played a touring Japanese club side and were beaten quite convincingly by a team that had unbelievable pace and good enough hands to use it. Maybe Tiger Tales has more infer on the game.

It would certainly be interesting to see where the Japan Top League and the NRC sit in standards compared to Club Rugby and Super Rugby

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A few years ago Easts played a touring Japanese club side and were beaten quite convincingly by a team that had unbelievable pace and good enough hands to use it. Maybe Tiger Tales has more infer on the game.

It would certainly be interesting to see where the Japan Top League and the NRC sit in standards compared to Club Rugby and Super Rugby
Suntory had George Smith and I think a couple of other internationals within their team (Schulk Berger just signed) they have crowds, and even gets air time on Fox now out here.
With the Bledisloe, whilst an international it is not one of their teams pitted against Australia's best NRC and I think that would attract interest if played over there.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The trouble is money guys. There's not much around nor time, nor management structures in place to do these types of things this year. I think some teams are doing their best to get in touch with their fans, particularly two of the sydney ones, but others are staying silent, overall from what I'm hearing its not a priority for alot of people involved with both super rugby and shute shield happening.

There won't be much time between the end of the Shute Shield or Super Rugby and the start of the NRC! Seems like there's going to be a mad rush in the 2-3 weeks before the tournament starts as it's all extremely quiet at the moment.

Do you know when the draw is likely to come out?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This leads me to one major concern, where is the promotion and marketing? It's less than 3 months away from kick off and hardly anything from the ARU. Maybe during the tests v France there could be an ad campaign, but I won't hold my breath.

Rugby promotion in this country has often tended to be hit and miss. ;)

jb0HsR9cCQafOk.jpg

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Fuck i'm bored tonight. Nothing on tv. Aren't thursdays a drag??

After a long day at work, wouldn't it be great to be able to watch some form of domestic rugby match perhaps???? Either on TV or at the match?

2 more months fuckers! Time to go full retard!

Status
Not open for further replies.