• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Lot of pissing and moaning in kevball. He'd like that.

Anyway, the naysaying isn't going to die down until the people who want to see it fail get what they want. They don't care about the complete lack of potential for developing club land into something bigger via this route; they just all want their club to be the biggest and best.

What does "haven't adapted locally" mean?

As Chatswood has changed demographically to Chatswoong, so has Eastwood moved to become Eastwoong.

Things have changed there massively since Tom Millner helped kick things off in 1947. But you could say that about pretty much the entirety of the lower north shore too.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The NZRU, in their strategic plan have a stated objective along the lines of increasing participation and support for rugby among the growing Asian population in Auckland.

The ARU needs to have similar goals, especially in Sydney. There's no excuse for a club like Eastwood not to be engaging with the Asian community. I grew up in the Ryde area in the 90's and don't remember a time when it wasn't a very Asian area. Especially Eastwood itself, which has a huge number of people from Chinese and Korean backgrounds. In my 10 years or so as a local junior I think I had 1 Asian teammate (and he's a very ocker Asian guy), while my classes at school would have been something like 50% Asian. And it's probably even higher than that now.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm half ethnic chinese (though 4th gen aus-chinese) and even I had trouble adapting as I grew up in eastwood from when I was born (1990) to when we moved a couple of years ago. However there is no excuse for a community based organisation to hold resentment against its own community, however much it changes. I went to St Kevin's there and did lots of work for the community college. Whilst most organisations were present at the festivals and events surrounding the area I have never recalled a time when the senior rugby club has even had a little presence there other than the rusted old sign across the road from the main street in front of the train tracks. From what I witnessed of the people at the rugby club I have followed since I was a small boy I changed my allegiance to parra. (though also admittedly parra rugby have been very generous in putting up with me)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have never recalled a time when the senior rugby club has even had a little presence there other than the rusted old sign across the road from the main street in front of the train tracks. From what I witnessed of the people at the rugby club I have followed since I was a small boy I changed my allegiance to parra.

True of many of the clubs unfortunately. Very navel-focused and refuse to risk the requirements for growth.

You'd think, with all the money associated with the old boys' network, rugby would be fucking huge in this country.

But the NRL and AFL are the ones out pounding the street to get the dollar, and don't turn anyone away (to their detriment, sometimes).

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Lot of pissing and moaning in kevball. He'd like that.

Anyway, the naysaying isn't going to die down until the people who want to see it fail get what they want. They don't care about the complete lack of potential for developing club land into something bigger via this route; they just all want their club to be the biggest and best.

As Chatswood has changed demographically to Chatswoong, so has Eastwood moved to become Eastwoong.

Things have changed there massively since Tom Millner helped kick things off in 1947. But you could say that about pretty much the entirety of the lower north shore too.

Chatsawoo and Eastawoo

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Will be interesting to see where the Eastwood NRC players choose to head to. The Rams is still the logical choice but there may be more opportunities about for them.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Will be interesting to see where the Eastwood NRC players choose to head to. The Rams is still the logical choice but there may be more opportunities about for them.

It would need to be the Rams. The Rays and Stars are effectively closed shops. Country would be the only other choice.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
They could very well end up missing out entirely.
I assume that most/all franchises are looking at the NRC to develop their players.
If you are budgeting to lose money in the comp,why would you develop another clubs players,unless you saw it as a recruitment tool?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Maybe because every NRC side will be trying (a) to win and (b) to draw good crowds.

I doubt too many good Woodies players will sit these dances out.
Consortium or Cooperative.

I think the Rays have been very cooperative in their approach, meanwhile the woodies are now wamberaling along.

I think it is a shame the Woodies are in this position, I hope it comes together and they rejoin.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Maybe because every NRC side will be trying (a) to win and (b) to draw good crowds.

I doubt too many good Woodies players will sit these dances out.
Well, let's look at the options.
Rays: no chance of them picking up a woodies player.
Randwick/country: less chance
Uni Balmain:No chance
Who's left?
Oh that's right,but they just flipped them the bird,so not a high chance.

Tell me who you think might get picked up,and by whom?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It seems it's definitely going to be a bit of a rush job but I think it'll all get pulled together in time and the competition will have some moderate success in the first season.

As long as the ARU and most of the teams can break even then everything else can be built on. I just hope there's good quality and entertaining rugby, the breakthrough of a few potential stars, at least a few matches with pretty good crowds and that the first season gives Australian rugby people a bit more optimism about the game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I good bit of info here
Great work by Manly Colts organisation to host a luncheon at the ground before 1st Grade v Easts. A good meal, lively conversation, an informative talk about the NRC and the Rays by Gary Flowers and then an intriguing match to watch. Well done.
It seems some colts will play NRC especially if they were in the Aust under 20's. It's looking more like a realistic pathway every day.
I particularly liked Gary's comment that the NRC gives overlooked/non-franchise contracted players a greater opportunity to play against established Super 15 contracted players.

In my eyes, by focusing on the SS the team will build itself.

The infrastructure and the business of the NRC well that is the suit and ties. It would appear;
  • WA, VIC, and ACT are relatively in order because it is simply a layer within the Soup structure.
  • Sydney Stars would be similar.
  • Rays are tracking along.
Not sure about NSW Country & Rams - there are 3 teams in that group which (not sure of word);
Southern - not in geographic area of the Rams, a bit like the beaches team in the NRC playing on the central coast.
Randwick / (Easts) - not sure what happened there, two teams wanting different things.
Woodies - Strongest on field team within the Rams consortium but the news from the suit and ties on the weekend threw the curve ball.

Any way great feedback from the Manly luncheon on the weekend.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the Rays will get the best crowds in the competition. They certainly seem to be very well organised and they represent the rugby heartland of Sydney. Brookvale Oval on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon will be attractive to a lot of people.

T

Train Without a Station

Well, let's look at the options.
Rays: no chance of them picking up a woodies player.
Randwick/country: less chance
Uni Balmain:No chance
Who's left?
Oh that's right,but they just flipped them the bird,so not a high chance.

Tell me who you think might get picked up,and by whom?

That makes zero sense. Why would teams disregard better players due to where they played in 2014?

Now I could understand if they required them to play at their club in 2015, but it's very short sighted to disregard them based on their club.

Status
Not open for further replies.