• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Here's a parallel I was thinking about when I saw the headline of an NRL article about the insurance situation (link here).

Because the NRL players basically have no other avenue for income, and because rugby league has no base outside eastern Australia, South Auckland, and the very small part of the UK population that could give > 0 fucks about anything except roundball, there is the ability for players to whinge about conditions through the media in order to force change.

They exist in a kind of uneasy truce where the players know they can make waves if they need to, and the NRL knows they can pay for it because they have negotiated a huge war chest. But both of them know they're lashed to the other so its worthwhile not being too big a dickhead (or you'll be on the third iteration of your last chance).

But its not a bad thing because neither side really gets to dictate to the other.

In rugby union, if a player is unhappy about their situation, there is no media power there to get things through, because the appeal of rugby simply isn't widespread enough and the ARU don't have the funds to do anything about it anyway. So the player who wants more money can just go offshore, and understand that they don't get a golden jumper because of it (and probably weren't in line anyway, given the cyclical effect of World Cups on consistency in team selection).

The bigger issue is when a player is courted by the ARU as a concrete requirement - which is a BIG mistake on the employer's part as no-one is irreplaceable. I have reservations about the ARU top-up situation in certain circumstances as it creates an inequality based on your position, particularly as it relates to backs versus forwards pay.

Think about a situation where we have e.g. four excellent openside flankers. Now only two of them at most are going to make the Wallabies on game day, and the squad maybe has a third 7 if circumstances are right. We might have a real shortage of quality scrumhalves at the same time, but the chances of that fourth openside getting a top-up are still zero. They'll be lucky to maybe get a Test match payment if they get on the field after a hideous run of injuries.

The ARU has to make decisions about the best X players to give top-ups to ahead of time, while the provinces maintain a maximum limit on player payments and a cap that overarches all of that.

In part, the development of the NRC gives us a product for a bigger media footprint and therefore more cash in the game (e.g. Buildcorp sinking $350K into it). It may lead to bigger player pools using their negotiating power of course, but I think the key to assisting the game is attracting private investment - something that clubs like Eastwood should be able to do through their network of corporate contacts if they're doing it right.

T

Train Without a Station

Pfitzy, just on your comment about for example, the 4th best openside. That's the pitfalls of a professional working environment. Your place in the pecking order, your importance to the organisation, and your remuneration is only based on the competition.

In any company or industry, if you are terrible at your job, but there is nobody better, nobody in another role can do your job and it's is integral that somebody does your job, you will be rewarded. This get's forgotten a little as in the professional environment, there is opportunity to do other roles as generally no role is completely unique that somebody else cannot do it competently in.

In professional sport this is different and roles are unique and non-transferable, due to that people aren't used to quality performers not being rewarded.

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
Black day for Aussie rugby. The badger leaving (with some good reasons) is terrible news. I was hoping he would be at the forefront of the marketing campaign for the NRC even though he probably wouldn't be playing in it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Rumour going round Southern Districts are pulling out also.
Not looking good for us Rams

What the hell is going on?

If Souths withdraw can bith Wests and Parra carry the load or has the supposed investors provided then with some freedom. Would love to hear something.

Well, the only silver lining is that if Souths pull out they can revert back to the Western Sydney Rams.

T

TOCC

.I think the Rams are essential to the longevity of the competition, If there is a splintering at club level over financial issues then it might become a necessity for the ARU and NSWRU to step in and assume some control of the team.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
.I think the Rams are essential to the longevity of the competition, If there is a splintering at club level over financial issues then it might become a necessity for the ARU and NSWRU to step in and assume some control of the team.
The main problem I see with your suggestion is the implicit assumption that the ARU and NSWRU could help a franchise with "financial issues". To do that would require that they themselves had financial resources.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Is there a single Rugby Union entity within Australia that has financial resources?

(This is meant to be a genuine question. Seriously)

T

TOCC

The main problem I see with your suggestion is the implicit assumption that the ARU and NSWRU could help a franchise with "financial issues". To do that would require that they themselves had financial resources.

Well that depends entirely on what the financial issues are, at a logistical/managerial level the NSWRU/ARU have economies of scale which could lessen the financial burden of running a sporting team like this. Before people jump up and down claiming the ARU/NSWRU couldn't arrange a root in a brothel, the point remains that there is likely some efficiency gains and cost reductions to be made by having assistance provided from two organisations who do this at a professional scale.

Given your involvement at Sydney University your likely to be far more knowledgable on the subject, but isn't it possible that the Rams could cuts costs if some of the roles such as Coach, S&C, Manager and Analysts were all assumed by members of the NSWRU/ARU? I believe this is the concept that the QRU has used with their two NRC teams, having Meehan and Styles fill the roles of head coach at the two QLD NRC teams saves money and allows for a bit of career development of the two assistant coaches.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Eastwood members' newsletter says that while "the Club has spent countless hours working to put together a competitive (Rams) team within a prudent financial framework, however there has been a very significant change in the governance arrangements with the Rams. The Eastwood board was unable to obtain the level of assurance necessary to continue. Accordingly, and reluctantly, the Club withdrew from the consortium".

The above is slightly abridged, but gives the gist of it.

T

Train Without a Station

Well said TOCC. Teams outside NSW are utilising existing staff and if necessary bringing in further resources. Surely the ARU and NSWRU could allocate existing staff under-utilised during the NRC period to the Rams. It's speculated that's how Mcgahan has ended up at the rebels after all.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
if the ARU did that they'd have to do it for everyone. In every state.
If the NSWRU did it (presumably meaning the Tahs) they'd have to do it for all 4 teams in NSW (there are 4 aren't there? nothings happened for so long I forget)
I'm not saying its a bad idea - it would have made perfect sense - but its untenable given the way the ARU framed the comp and limited its involvement.
Which are different aspects of the same issues that have seen the woodies pull the pin.

T

Train Without a Station

Not really IS. The ARU are assisting the Rebels. Are the other franchises expecting the same assistance? No. Why? Because they are smart enough to be aware that their health is in everybody's interests.

The better the comp can become, the better a TV deal it can command. The better a tv deal it commands the better off every team will be.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not really IS. The ARU are assisting the Rebels. Are the other franchises expecting the same assistance? No. Why? Because they are smart enough to be aware that their health is in everybody's interests.

The better the comp can become, the better a TV deal it can command. The better a tv deal it commands the better off every team will be.

As I said there's nothing wrong with the idea and I agree about TV, it just isn't the way the ARU saw this as "working".
The ARU always wanted the kudos and the benefits of this without the cost and risks.
That highly speculative approach is arguably coming home to roost.
Let's hope there are no more "surprises".

T

Train Without a Station

I agree with the ARU's goals of this. But that's my point, under utilised resources could potentially be used. E.g. Nathan Grey wants to show his wares as a head coach? Perfect opportunity I would have thought. Could be part of his contract. NSWRU benefits because they have a stronger tie and control of 3rd tier development. Nathan Grey benefits because he gains further experience and career development. Rams gain because they're head coach is already paid by the NSWRU.

I wouldn't expect them to be stumping up cash, but saving on staff in measures like this could be equally beneficial.

But seriously, why knock the ARU over this? The clubs complained about the ARC because they were out of the loop. The ARU has given the clubs the opportunity - remember that. It was an opportunity, not an obligation - to take the lead on teams. That doesn't work for the clubs? Oh - they wanted the control without paying for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.