• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I'd be extremely doubtful that Rugby WA were made to or even asked by the ARU/NRC to move their game. Given the closer proximity of Melbourne, if that was the case I'd expect them to ask Rising to do so.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It doesn't change the fact that as a wa based fan we miss out on a home game I don't care who made the decision it's a stupid one from a fan perspective. They may be getting some kick back from sa but they will be pissing a lot of fans off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who knows. Maybe the SA Government kicked in $100k or similar for them to play a game there? If so, it makes complete sense as it would cover a lot of the expected shortfall for the team for the season.

I'm interested in the NSW Country vs Perth game in Dubbo on 18th October as I've been wanting to go to Western Plains Zoo of all places for quite a while.

Figure we could watch the game in the afternoon, watch the 3rd Bledisloe in a Dubbo pub in the evening and then go to the zoo the next day before heading back to Sydney.

Sounds like a good weekend.

Generally I think I'm going to follow the Stars as watching games at Leichhardt Oval is pretty appealing.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm in Sydney for a bucks and the wedding on the last weekend of August and 2nd weekend of September. Already looking at locking in the Rising vs Stars game at leichhardt and the Stars vs Rams game at Pirtek.

Hopefully a couple of MU boys get a run for the Rising as I will be catching up with a couple of MU boys I played with while I'm up there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BsoVJnxCUAAzhKm.jpg

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
And the WA team and fans gets shafted again.

We lose one of our home games so it can be played in Adelaide and then the even dumber thing is we have to back it up a week later with a trip to VIC I guess the force are used to the travel so why not give them a shit draw.

Im actually really pissed about losing a home game.

In fairness, the Wallabies are playing in Perth that day.

T

Train Without a Station

I wonder if the SA game may be changed to accommodate a curtain raiser if that's the case?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Interesting that the games (for the Spirit at least) are spread out through different grounds. That's actually not a bad call because it connects with the grass roots a bit more. That said, I'm not sure where at UWA they're going to play, given that Uni's ground is actually at McGillivray Oval (maybe it's there, not on the actual campus). They haven't played at Riley Oval on the campus since I played for the club.

Never mind, I'll be getting along to a couple of games at least, but I can't see myself going down to Rocko -- too far.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm interested in the NSW Country vs Perth game in Dubbo on 18th October as I've been wanting to go to Western Plains Zoo of all places for quite a while.

Figure we could watch the game in the afternoon, watch the 3rd Bledisloe in a Dubbo pub in the evening and then go to the zoo the next day before heading back to Sydney.

Fuck. I was getting excited at that idea then realised my daughter's birthday is that day.

The Zoo is grouse BTW.

the good news for WA fans is that you get to see BOTH Qld teams.

Yeah that way the Force guys can have a closer look at their roster for next year ;)

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
A long tweet...
How can they justify Perth playing in ADL? It really defies logic. Sure they want to promote the game there but at the expense of another emerging rugby markets team losing a home game?

What's up with country playing a home game in Brissie? Cost grounds maybe? I played in Toowoomba a few years back and the ground there was pretty good from what I remember. Anyway there are plenty of big towns they could have chosen from so why more Brisbane games?

As for rule variation-like them all esp the rucking out! Old school...kinda...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Toowoomba and the Sunny Coast have both had Reds games over the previous few years. I think if there was more time them may have been given a country game. The reason for the Country game at Ballymore is so it can be a TV game. They want every team to have a TV game in the first 5 rounds.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm hoping we don't have an SA side any time in the near future. Because it would be a logistical and financial disaster, and I don't want this competition to be a financial failure.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep, SA is going nowhere in a hurry and Rugby just doesn't exist there. Would be a waste to put a team there when there are other Rugby playing communities that are without a team.

T

Train Without a Station

My thoughts are more so there are no professionals that live there, so to put 16 professional players there who make no extra money for the tournament, there's accommodation costs. Then there's the fact that SA rugby is such a low level (I've played Uni of SA or Adelaide 2 years ago and they were absolutely woeful. They'd be lucky if one of their players made reserve grade in Victoria) you'd have to bring in players to supplement the squad, and then house them also. Massive cost for fuck all interest.

Now if the competition can develop to be able to afford these costs from a good TV deal, then it would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.