• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Tournaments 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One guesses that they are hoping to retain most of the JGC U15's and U17's in clubland after the JGC.

In recent years, the last 10 or so, there has been a significant drop off in player numbers in the U17's for state champs and the U18's have been to all intents and purposes non existent.

If we want to broaden the pyramid base, and retain the non-private school lads in rugby, there must be something challenging for them after the JGC. The State Champs and U15 and U17 SJRU rep teams provide that ongoing incentive to stay in rugby. That would be the theory, I think.

It would be interesting to see if the theory pans out.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
So JGC will be finished by the June long weekend, then the same boys play state championships?

JGC finishes on 5th April - so there is plenty of time before the State Champs.

I'd suspect there may still be some other lads whom will be involved in the State Champs that didn't join the JGC. One example i can think of are the GPS Rowers whom i am told couldn't risk an injury from a rugby game before the Head of the River etc.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
The State Champs are for club players. The JGC is for any boy that plays rugby union e.g. club or school.
So it stands to reason IMHO that the State Champs should still run for all the club boys (not all would have got into JGC of course).

But in terms of age obviously there are more club players at the U15, U16, level than at U17.
JGC has U15s and U17s - I wonder how many U17s are from club v school.
And of the the school-only players in the JGC I guess many U17s will not play club in 2014 i.e. cannot be a part of the State Champs - although of course there are those U16s & U17s that register for club, attend the State Champs in June then quit their club team to focus on their school team for the rest of the season.

But that has already been pointed out on this Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.