• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Year's Resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ha, I'm an even shorter arse at 175cms and currently weigh in at 80kgs and am in no way, shape or form overweight. That is why I reckon the BMI charts are crap.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I started 2009 at 130 kgs and ended at 115 Kgs I plan to do at least the same again! My Goal in 2010 is to have a waist measurement in the Mid nineties at the moment it is 117 cm. I am 182 cm tall.

In 2009 1 of my goals was to do the Bridge to Brisbane 10 k run which I completed. This years goal is to do it under 60 minutes which is 18 minutes faster than last year.

At the start of 2009 my cholesterol was about 7 thingies that they measure it in. Now it is about 3 thingies. so this years goal is to get off the medication!

I went to a Nutritionist as well and it was a fantastic move! I highly recommend it and if you get your doctor to set up a health plan you get 5 sessions for just about nothing!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
BMI is a bunch of shit.

Good nutrition is the core, but it has to be something you can sustain. No point getting to your goal weight if you're just going to hop back on the pies :)

I'm trying to convince my wife to stop serving up 500g of meat at meal times which is a hard fight because its habit for her. Less is more.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm in agreement - BMI is rubbish really. Body fat % is a pretty imprecise "science" too.
I'm about 177cm, currently 79-80 kg and probably fitter from a cardiovascular viewpoint than I have been for years. Also stronger. But I am a long way off a body fat % in the single figures. Never have been, even when playing footy / sprinting training for athletics / playing cricket a lot etc... Just the way it is. I'm pretty happy where I am now, but keeping it so is the challenge. Wouldn't mind a bit more flexibility though - that is crap.
Good luck MR, Scarfy and Sully (and anyone else who is doing the hard yards).

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
NTA said:
I'm trying to convince my wife to stop serving up 500g of meat at meal times which is a hard fight because its habit for her. Less is more.

what a woman :yay ;)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
cyclopath said:
I'm in agreement - BMI is rubbish really. Body fat % is a pretty imprecise "science" too.
I'm about 177cm, currently 79-80 kg and probably fitter from a cardiovascular viewpoint than I have been for years. Also stronger. But I am a long way off a body fat % in the single figures. Never have been, even when playing footy / sprinting training for athletics / playing cricket a lot etc... Just the way it is. I'm pretty happy where I am now, but keeping it so is the challenge. Wouldn't mind a bit more flexibility though - that is crap.
Good luck MR, Scarfy and Sully (and anyone else who is doing the hard yards).

Not many people out there that have single figure fat %. At university I think my lowest was still just over the 10% mark.

Increasing flexibility will help with that golf swing! Being able to have a strong shoulder turn while keeping the hips relatively still can generate a lot of power.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've been feeding 500g of beef to my wife for years and she's still skinny. I'm not sure if she swallows, though.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I was 124 at start of 2009. Finished at 111kg.

Want to finish the year below 100 and live there.

Requires running. Plan to do the Bridge to BRisbane this year as well.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like we've got quite a few of us in the same boat. I started the year at 117kg and am also looking to get under the century mark.
Bridge to Brisbane sounds like a good goal.
Maybe some type of weight loss and running challenge etc. is in order to keep us all motivated.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm no guru, but a few ideas that have worked OK for me. As you'll see nothing's too radical as I love my food and booze too much and life's too short: "a day without wine is like a day without sunshine"

1) Wanna take 30% of the calories out of your food? Eat a third less. Sounds simple-dumb I know, but as someone said above, you need a lot less then you actually eat. Not only have portion sizes grown over the years, what's in it has gone batshit as well. Your stomach will shrink and you wont feel like eating as much either

Also, relying on just exercise is a problem. What happens when you're too busy, injured, a bit crook, the weather goes shitty or you get lazy? Portion control can work any time.

2) Don't bring the serving bowl of whatever it is to the table - this is where 2nds and 3rds happens. Same goes for leaving the bottle of wine off the table as well. Also, get a vacuum cork for the bottle, which takes away the "it'll just go off" excuse (sorry Lindo)

3) Don't eat deserts, EVER. You're full anyway, and just how revolutionary can that cheescake be? At a restaurant have a coffee instead. If you're gonna give in, don't eat all of it.

4) What do you have for lunch? A sandwich and some chips? Chips are evil and over a week, a pack a day will add up to close to HALF A DAY'S CALORIES. Same goes for a chocolate bar a day. Ditch it.
As for the sandwich, try ditching it for a salad in summer or a soup in winter, as bread is evil as well.
Also, full fat soft drinks are satan's spawn. They use HFCS (a super sugar made from corn starch) that goes straight to fat and has proven links to obesity, go diet if you need fizz.

5) How far do you live from work? Within 10-15k? Shame on you if you're driving every day. Get cycling, running or walking to work, which means you get your exercise in the time it would have taken to commute, saved gas money and made gym users look stupid as it's FREE. This will also make Cutter happy.

6) Cut back on the booze - wine is better than beer, but don't stop altogether or you'll end up like Scarfy

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Good work there gagger, a few more tips from the nutritionist...

Avoid juices. If you feel like an orange juice, have an orange. IF your thirsty, drink water. A 250ml glass of freshly squeezed orange juice can contain the calories of 4 oranges.

Your portion size is correct.. Eat 5 x a day, smaller amounts.

Commute via exercise. I am 6.5kms from work, which is 20 mins a on a bike, or an hour on foot. It's 10 mins in a cab or 25 in a bus. The exercise way is not much longer and burns calories.

If you are hungry between main meals... eat. Don't starve yourself, then you'll just eat more at dinner time. OBviously eat something healthy though.

Water, water and more water. 2.5litres per day. Sounds a bit boring, but you get used to it.

If you do large exercise (I did 2.5 hours on my bike on saturday), then replace with sports drink fluids, maybe an extra piece of fruit, but that's it. Also, do not eat for an hour after you stop exercising. Your body will burn a lot of fat during this time.

I think that's it for the moment... more next week post weigh in number 1.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention breakfast. Get yourself a coupla high fibre, low sugar cereals, mix em up and have em every morning.

The mix of grains means they burn slowly over the morning and I'm never hungry before 12, can easily wait till 1pm for lunch. Also, fibre traps fat in the gut - up to 15% of your intake, as well as helping you shit like a champ.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gagger said:
I'm no guru...leaving the bottle of wine off the table as well. Also, get a vacuum cork for the bottle, which takes away the "it'll just go off" excuse (sorry Lindo)
:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :'( :'( :'(

Obviously.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
A few years ago I started jogging, fast walking really, and I looked around for a program or spreadsheet to track my progress. I found a Spreadsheet written by David Hayes from a group called the Dead Runners Society. I have tweaked it to suit my needs and added pages to track my Blood pressure and to work out Heart Rate Zones. If anyone is interested in it I have made 2 files available at my dropbox. the first is just mySpreadsheet the second includes the original Spreadsheet.

logrun
Logrun + original

There is a read me file included that tells you how to set it up and the password for protected sheets.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If we have a few guys looking to do the Bridge to Brisbane and lose weight maybe we could start a thread?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
You're welcome. I fucking hate running, unless there's a try at the end of it. I'll record my monthly weight and valuable insights in this thread or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.