• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/player/list_of_captains.html?id=8;type=team

interesting how few there have really been, 10 plus outings

semantics to separate, a rough ranking:

1 Mccaw 97 and 11. (is this right? I thought McMurder won 100+ as AB captain?)
2 D.Kirk 9 and 2. jesus, thats not even a single whole AB season these days. sounds bizarre to rank him alltime #2 but he did do the business for RWC#1
3 Buck 13 and 0
4 Fitzy 39 and 11 SA96 was historic but ffs 11 losses?
5 Reuben Thorne 20 and 3. naturally, suitcase quietly sleepwalks his way to a brilliant fucking record
6 Tana 18 and 3
7 Read 37 and 5
8 Mourie 14 and 4. venerated, yes, as W.O said, but 14 and 4?
9 Dalton 15 and 2. great record but pretty much whitewashed from history c/o the epic exploits of D.Kirk. Plus Dalton's mega-tardry in buttfucking the Blues franchise for half of recorded fucking history is a pitch-black mark, srsly fuck this guy
10 G.Whetton 12 and 3.
11 Anton Oliver 8 and 2
12 Todd Slackbladder 7 and 3
13 Taine Randell 12 and 9. LOLL

old timers some anorak can insert into rankings;

Whineray 22 and 5
Lochore 15 and 3

I always probably disregard Kirk's and to be honest even Bucks records as captains because during and especially after 87 WC for Buck ABs were so far ahead of opposition , I don't actually think captaining ever really came into it. Geez I remember watching the Welsh team train in 87 at Levin against a pack with a few local players in it and Quinell having to tell the locals to ease off as they were bulldozing them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Think I'd rank Whineray behind only GOAT as in his day every match was with top-level opposition & they made long tours. Buck I'd rate well ahead of Kirk, being unbeaten counts for a lot IMO & then there's the sheer mana he had. Sir BJ makes my top 10 for similar reasons as Whineray & Kirk drops to somewhere around 11-13. Dalton deserves far better than 9th, too.

1. GOAT
2. Whineray
3. Buck
4. Fitzy
5. Dalton
6. Tana
7. Lochore
8. Read
9. Whetton
10. Thorne

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think I'd rank Whineray behind only GOAT as in his day every match was with top-level opposition & they made long tours. Buck I'd rate well ahead of Kirk, being unbeaten counts for a lot IMO & then there's the sheer mana he had. Sir BJ makes my top 10 for similar reasons as Whineray & Kirk drops to somewhere around 11-13. Dalton deserves far better than 9th, too.

1. GOAT
2. Whineray
3. Buck
4. Fitzy
5. Dalton
6 Tana
7. Lochore
8. Read
9. Whetton
10. Thorne

Certainly agree with Whineray being at 2, and would even suggest Lochore at 3, he was a player who took the mana he was held in to after he finished playing too. Agree I'd have Buck ahead of Kirk to, just on his mana, more than his skill level as player or captain. Mind you Buck lost a couple of points with me when I heard him speaking at Athletic RC in Levin. Wasn't perhaps all the things that I really expexted from an ex AB captain.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ most likely as a playing sabbatical similar to the one DC took a few years back (but with hopefully a better outcome), possibly followed by a season in Japan but coming back to NZ mid- to late 2020.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
30 players coming off contract post-RWC:

Dane Coles (32)
Nathan Harris (26)
Liam Coltman (28)
Owen Franks (30)
Tim Perry (30)
Kane Hames (30)
Patrick Tuipulotu (25)
Brodie Retallick (27)
Matt Todd (30)
Kieran Read (33)
Ardie Savea (25)
Liam Squire (27)
Jordan Taufua (26)
Luke Whitelock (27)
Shannon Frizell (24)
Jackson Hemopo (25)
Elliot Dixon (29)
Aaron Smith (30)
Beauden Barrett (27)
Richie Mo'unga (24)
Jack Goodhue (23)
Sonny Bill Williams (33)
Ngani Laumape (25)
Ryan Crotty (30)
​Israel Dagg (30)
Jordie Barrett (21)
Waisake Naholo (27)
Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi​ (23)
Nehe Milner-Skudder (27)
Dalton Papalii (21)

Bender contracted to 2020 but had an early exit clause that he's activated.

Suspect they'll fight hard to retain as many of the under-26 guys plus Lurch & SamW as they can, throw whatever's left at those aged 26-30 & say adieu to the over-30's.

Players still signed or recently re-signed are:

Rieko Ioane (21)
Joe Moody (30)
George Bridge (23)

Codie Taylor (27)
TJ Perenara (26)
Damian McKenzie (23)
Ofa Tuungafasi (26)
Sam Cane (26)
Karl Tu'inukuafe ​(25)
David Havili​ (23)
Akira Ioane (23)

Anton Lienert-Brown (23)
Vaea Fifita (26)
Nepo Laulala (27)
Scott Barrett (25)
Sam Whitelock (30)
Angus Ta'avao (28)
Ben Smith (32) *2019 exit clause as above

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ASav has re-signed to 2021:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...er-ardie-savea-resigns-with-new-zealand-rugby

Reports that Read may skip Racing 92 & go directly to Japan:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...on-french-move-with-japan-looking-likely?rm=m

Kinda ironic that R92's Plan B could be to either extend the contract of a current French Test player or upgrade the contract of an U20 player seen as having a big future. Again, I really hope the less cashed-up Clubs reject the marquee player salary cap exemption the big Clubs are pushing for.