• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Good idea removing a ball carrying threat. Make it easier for the All Blacks defence by having to only mark up five guys in the pack
Some guys shouldnt carry its just the reality, There was a bigger threat of him turning the ball over then anything else last saturday taking it up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Eden Park can be bad at this time of the year. Consider this:

In a surprise move to combat the possibility of repeat bad weather in Auckland, secretly taped footage from a surprise selection trial for the Wallabies shows that Link is planning to name many of the Manly Colts 3rds in the Wobs run on squad. ARU supremo Bill Pulver is reported to be happy because match payments and accommodation costs will be severely reduced relieving pressure on the ARU coffers.

1-jpg.5237

12-jpg.5238
In the normal scheme of things meteorlogical, doesn't the weather currently hovering over Sydney normally move east in the general direction of Auckland?

We may need to get Big Marn onto his deep throat at the BOM to confirm.:)

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does anyone else remember how shit Stephen Larkham was in the wet? For the amount of stick Beale has copped I've seen the great Stephen Larkham turn in a lot worse wet weather performances.
Anyway forecast has it being 9 degrees at kick off and clear which is perfect running Rugby weather.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Saw footage of Charles passing close to the line on a news report today. Should have backed himself.

Very easy to say in hindsight, his chances of scoring were pretty similar to McCabe's. Oddly enough a bit of blame should go to Beale, his pass to Charles was behind him and killed a bit of his forward momentum.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
For fucks sake. Maybe the weather affected him? Just like it affected every player on the field.

We beat Argentina 14-13 in atrocious conditions in Perth last year and it was hailed as a miraculous triumph in the wet. For the record, Leali'ifano kicked 3 from 6 in that game.

We draw 12-all in atrocious conditions this year and people are clamouring for Beale to be dropped.

Mostly because in the opinion of most of those people, KB (Kurtley Beale) shouldn't have been in the starting lineup to begin with. Foley had not done anything to warrant being dropped and he was the incumbent in a team that had put together a string of wins. And in most opinions voiced here, KB (Kurtley Beale) is seen to be much more dangerous coming off the bench later in the game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I really thought Will only had 1 - 1.5 good involvements. Didn't think he was given enough time to really do more. If he is in the team for Saturday I'd like to see him get at least 20 minutes to actually show what he has against the All Blacks.

Agree, but I'd really like to see him come steaming onto the ball from a bit of depth. He seemed to be flat footed on the few occasions the ball went to him. Even so, he managed to make some ground and got away a very neat off load in traffic.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Someone has to hit rucks. In fact, pretty much everyone does. And as Simmons is an average ball carrier, he's not doing it. Fardy next in line, Charles and Carter after that.

Saw footage of Charles passing close to the line on a news report today. Should have backed himself.

Yeah. The replays shows he probably would have got over if he went himself.
He was trying to not be selfish I guess. He had a very good run-on debut.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think we have to keep the same side (I'm not saying I necessarily agree with all the selections, but continuity is important.) I was sitting behind the posts on Saturday night and it was quite noticeable how lateral the Wallaby backs were in attack. That will need to be fixed to make use of our attacking opportunities.

I think many of us would have liked to have seen continuity in selections for the first test. That would have had Foley starting along with Kuridrani and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Very easy to say in hindsight, his chances of scoring were pretty similar to McCabe's. Oddly enough a bit of blame should go to Beale, his pass to Charles was behind him and killed a bit of his forward momentum.
was definately in a better position to score then Mcabe

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Just discovered my sister has arranged an early sitting at some Rosevile based restaurant (are there any there?) for 6pm this Saturday.

The disappointment is palpable.

Reactions: BDA

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I wouldn't change the team makeup but for injuries other than considering giving Phipps a turn at start this time. It's a good team and we should keep the faith. Reckon McKenzie will see it that way too.

I also reckon we have created a tiny sliver of nagging doubt in them. A tiny sliver that can be wrenched open if only we can work at it hard enough.

My head says if we play really well we will go close but get pipped. But my heart says these boys have a genuine shot at rugby history. They must forget everything in their careers but this one game. This one very special game. They must use every single bit of sinew, guts and determination they have.

Then, and only then, glory might, just might, be theirs.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Just discovered my sister has arranged an early sitting at some Rosevile based restaurant (are there any there?) for 6pm this Saturday.

The disappointment is palpable.

None at Rosevile. But possibly one at the back of the pub at Roseville.
Maybe you could bribe the restauranter to put a TV in the corner.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I wouldn't change the team makeup but for injuries other than considering giving Phipps a turn at start this time. It's a good team and we should keep the faith. Reckon McKenzie will see it that way too.

I also reckon we have created a tiny sliver of nagging doubt in them. A tiny sliver that can be wrenched open if only we can work at it hard enough.

My head says if we play really well we will go close but get pipped. But my heart says these boys have a genuine shot at rugby history. They must forget everything in their careers but this one game. This one very special game. They must use every single bit of sinew, guts and determination they have.

Then, and only then, glory might, just might, be theirs.

If glory was to be for the Wallabies, then NZ will have a day of mourning and the government will change.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
this is probably irrelevant but pertaining to the hoodoo..I'm pretty sure there are no Auckland players in the All Blacks, been a while since that's happened?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Its funny really.

The game was a draw. We could have won the game. We all criticise players to a greater or lesser degree, or tactics, or selections.

One little kick and we could have won. Beaten the arguably best team in the world.

I wonder if the same depth of comment would have been made on G & G. probably not !!!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's sport. If Bernard Foley's kick was just half a metre shorter imagine the different feeling surrounding the Waratahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.