• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
just to change the subject..why do we have a ritual of naming our side at 12pm on Tuesday and the other 3 teams do it anytime between then and kick off?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
just to change the subject..why do we have a ritual of naming our side at 12pm on Tuesday and the other 3 teams do it anytime between then and kick off?

SANZAR regs state minimum 48 hours before kickoff I think. McKenzie (and Cheika) don't fucking bother.

T

Tip

Nah Cane is overrated. But I take your point and think Todd would be better.

Cane can play 6 at a pinch and is much more physical than Todd which is why you see him in the 23. Very similar to Deans & McKenzies reasoning of rarely having a back-up 7 on the bench.

@Tip - do you have Quade Cooper bedsheets? Honest question.
No at my Holmes I have Slippers, they help me when I be Fainga'a'in the Sautia outta the ladies

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
SANZAR regs state minimum 48 hours before kickoff I think. McKenzie (and Cheika) don't fucking bother.

I think its done very deliberately. It says "I don't care who you play where. We are going to play with this team and we are going to beat you because even if you know what we've got you still won't stop us!"

Its a really ballsy statement when you are not the number one team. It says that even though we are not the number 1 team we are going to play like it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think its done very deliberately. It says "I don't care who you play where. We are going to play with this team and we are going to beat you because even if you know what we've got you still won't stop us!"

Its a really ballsy statement when you are not the number one team. It says that even though we are not the number 1 team we are going to play like it.

I can sort of see that it conveys that attitude, but it could just be to get it out of the way too..whoever we are playing aren't likely to change their side unless we did something really left field that said we had had a complete structural rethink that they could counter e.g. 13. Folau or something like that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I can sort of see that it conveys that attitude, but it could just be to get it out of the way too..whoever we are playing aren't likely to change their side unless we did something really left field that said we had had a complete structural rethink that they could counter e.g. 13. Folau or something like that.
I may be wrong but I don't get the feeling that any team is picking players on the basis that hey will neutralize particular opponents.
For instance if IF. Were picked at 13 I don't think the ABs would pick anyone other than C Smith and if he wasn't available they'd pick whoever they thought was the next best 13.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
you are probably right IS and that's kind of what I am getting at..I was just trying to think of a situation that might lead to a strategic selection versus what was originally planned

note the emphasis on 'might' :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'll hopefully get a chance to rewatch the scrums from the first Bledisloe quickly tonight but I'm pretty sure Hooper always packs behind the LHP on our own feed and then plays on the openside on the opposition feed.
Hooper packs behind the LHP on every one of our scrum feeds.

He plays on the open side at an opposition feed. If it's close to the middle of the field he'll pack on the LHP side.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If the wallabies had a few injury worries like the Blecks, they might have delayed the naming of their team. blecks didnt have that luxury. australia certainly look the more settled team going into saturday

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hooper packs behind the LHP on every one of our scrum feeds.

He plays on the open side at an opposition feed. If it's close to the middle of the field he'll pack on the LHP side.

very true. I do get the feeling that Mckenzie likes to choose a second row style no.6 partly to strengthen the Wallabies THP in the scrum

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I do remember, back when Pocock used to play, that props really rated his drive on the scrum, saying it was like having a second lock behind them. So I guess this really is tick for Pocock in the debate, he can always scrimmage on the openside whether it's left or right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I do remember, back when Pocock used to play, that props really rated his drive on the scrum, saying it was like having a second lock behind them. So I guess this really is tick for Pocock in the debate, he can always scrimmage on the openside whether it's left or right.

Did he change sides on attacking scrums though?

I certainly remember the comments about being a great pusher in the scrum.

It seems what we're currently doing is the norm today.

In general we're not reliant on our 7 to be first at the attacking breakdown off the scrum compared to wanting them racing off to pressure the inside backs or make a tackle off a defensive scrum.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I never looked for it back then. I only noticed the wallabies playing left and right flanker in the EOYT last year when Simmons was flanker against Italy I think he was on the TH side for all but one scrum.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not one of those stats really supports that though barb.

For example if Ben McCalman played and returned those stats we would all be saying, great he has a good work rate but he's lacking impact.

I reckon if Dan Palmer had been available, we would have been right.

A couple of years in Froland and then transitioning all that intel back into Club Wallaby. Priceless.
#JusticeforDanPalmer.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon if Dan Palmer had been available, we would have been right.

A couple of years in Froland and then transitioning all that intel back into Club Wallaby. Priceless.
#JusticeforDanPalmer.
Maybe we can get him back?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Referees understand Dan Palmer's scrummaging technique and seldom question it.

I hope ARU will relax criteria for overseas players to represent Walllabies (front row only).

#DanPalmerforWallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.