• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Classic case of confirmation bias here I reckon.

People were upset with Beale's selection, so anything but a masterclass in which he set-up and scored the match winning try was going to draw criticism.

It seems a lot of people just went into the game focused purely on how Beale was playing so completely overlooked mistakes by White and To'omua, whilst massively amplifying anything Beale did to confirm their anger at his selection.

He probably needed to convert it from the sideline too..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It was a difficult weekend for all 4 starting flyhalves. I find it hard to believe that Kurtley could have been the best 10 on offer (as Cully suggests) but fuck there's not much in it. Cruden made less mistake and kicked well but he also didn't play with the ball. Kurtley was tasked with a 'ball in hand' game plan in a game where, as McCaw said afterwards "it was almost easier not having the ball".

He probably did enough to retain his spot. Both Foley and Kurtley have now had a shot at the starting spot , and both have looked better coming off the bench late in the game. Foley was solid if not great in the French series, but he had perfect conditions. Kurtley had shocking conditions and a better side to deal with. I think he should get another chance to show us what he's got on Saturday, hopefully in conditions more suited to him.

I've never been a big supporter of Kurtley at 10, but there is not enough reason for us to drop him based on recent events.

I think this is a good synopsis and why I can't see McKenzie deciding that Beale was the wrong choice after one game in deplorable conditions.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think it's clear that we went in with a game plan to run the ball and the fact that we got the poor conditions didn't change that as a whole..but maybe it affected some individual decisions? Whatever, I agree that the synopsis by BDA is the correct one and this unit will be given another shot together, perhaps a change in halfback though.

It's interesting what you'd do if you were going in to a game knowing it was going to be wet, windy and muddy..assuming the current 23 I'd nearly run on with:
9. Phipps
10. To'omua
11. Horne
12. McCabe
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

A slower, less dynamic but solid backline..

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's clear that we went in with a game plan to run the ball and the fact that we got the poor conditions didn't change that as a whole..but maybe it affected some individual decisions? Whatever, I agree that the synopsis by BDA is the correct one and this unit will be given another shot together, perhaps a change in halfback though.

It's interesting what you'd do if you were going in to a game knowing it was going to be wet, windy and muddy..assuming the current 23 I'd nearly run on with:
9. Phipps
10. To'omua
11. Horne
12. McCabe
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

A slower, less dynamic but solid backline..

I'm not sure what the point of a slower, less dynamic but solid backline is. Given that being "solid" was not a problem on the weekend.

Even with Beale at 10 we defended superbly and I would say overall a solid performance. We lacked some penetration and spark in attack.

Id go with:

9. Phipps - more sniping and less kicking then white.
10. Foley - looked more threatening on attack then Beale
11. Horne
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani - someone who can bend the line
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - harsh to move him but its better for our backline. Back to 13 when speights comes available.
15. Folau

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
you are right of course Seb, there was nothing wrong with our defense on the weekend..but I guess what I'm trying to achieve under atrocious conditions with my selections is a backline which has less emphasis on creativity, but more on big hit ups and defense..anyway, completely hypothetical, will move on..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
At least on this thread people have stopped referring to Beale at 10 as an 'experiment'..

was getting the shits with that on the previous game thread..the only coach who has ever regarded it as an experiment was the one who put him there in the under 12's when he was an 8 year old!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think Beale has come under huge scrutiny because he was picked over Foley and people expected him to play the house down.

He didn't. Did the pressure affect him? Who knows ??? I do know that when picked for a spot, its very important to pull out a good game and make the most of the opportunity. For whatever reason KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't close the door on Foley or QC (Quade Cooper) later in the year.

Think I'd probably go back to Foley for this game but reckon Link will remain faithful (to KB (Kurtley Beale)) for one more week.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think Beale has come under huge scrutiny because he was picked over Foley and people expected him to play the house down.

He didn't. Did the pressure affect him? Who knows ??? I do know that when picked for a spot, its very important to pull out a good game and make the most of the opportunity. For whatever reason KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't close the door on Foley or QC (Quade Cooper) later in the year.

Think I'd probably go back to Foley for this game but reckon Link will remain faithful (to KB (Kurtley Beale)) for one more week.

Barring injuries, I'd expect him to stay with the same team.

I don't think Beale played badly, I do think that he's played his best rugby in a long time at 12 with Foley at 10 and Beale having the freedom to slot in as playmaker when he's sees an opportunity without having to run every single play.

Link gets the big bucks to make these calls and in the end, he's the one who has to take ultimate responsibility for the results. I certainly don't want a return to the RD approach of who's going to play where this week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

For fucks sake. Maybe the weather affected him? Just like it affected every player on the field.

We beat Argentina 14-13 in atrocious conditions in Perth last year and it was hailed as a miraculous triumph in the wet. For the record, Leali'ifano kicked 3 from 6 in that game.

We draw 12-all in atrocious conditions this year and people are clamouring for Beale to be dropped.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
There could only be a change or 3.

At 10 (Beale and Foley) maybe 11/14 and 13 (that being AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to one of the wing spots and Kurindrani coming in) Suppose 9 will also be a possible

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
For fucks sake. Maybe the weather affected him? Just like it affected every player on the field.

We beat Argentina 14-13 in atrocious conditions in Perth last year and it was hailed as a miraculous triumph in the wet. For the record, Leali'ifano kicked 3 from 6 in that game.

We draw 12-all in atrocious conditions this year and people are clamouring for Beale to be dropped.

I wouldn't say dropped. I would say selecting a player for the conditions. Foley would better in those conditions. Isn't it expected to be wet at Eden?

If its dry I don't mind seeing Beale at 10, but in wet weather give me Foley.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Barring injuries, I'd expect him to stay with the same team.

I don't think Beale played badly, I do think that he's played his best rugby in a long time at 12 with Foley at 10 and Beale having the freedom to slot in as playmaker when he's sees an opportunity without having to run every single play.

Link gets the big bucks to make these calls and in the end, he's the one who has to take ultimate responsibility for the results. I certainly don't want a return to the RD approach of who's going to play where this week.

Precisely and neither does the coach..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't say dropped. I would say selecting a player for the conditions. Foley would better in those conditions. Isn't it expected to be wet at Eden?

If its dry I don't mind seeing Beale at 10, but in wet weather give me Foley.

When has this happened ever?

They name the side on the Tuesday. Maybe if we were in the middle of the Queensland floods and the game was at Suncorp they might make some selections based on the weather but I've never seen it happen.

Currently the weather is listed as fine for Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.