• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Newington College vs The Hills Sports High School

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I thought I'd clear up what I meant by not taking it seriously. They started playing organised Rugby back in 2003. I played. We assumed the role of Highs 2nd XV (not to be cocky but a large chunk of our team were easily better footballer's than High's offering.) In our first year we only lost to Joey's in a close affair. 15-13 if I remeber correctly. The crazy thing is that 1) It was primarily seen as a border weekend sport. I was the only day boy in the team and 2) Because of this a the conflict between the two teachers above we offically didn't have access to any of our 1st XIII (many who had Rugby experience) and finally 3) We literally trained for an hour on the Friday before the game. And more often than not it was a shambles.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have seen St. Gregs at Joeys 2 or 3 times and they've played our Twos. IIRR St. Gregs had only the boarders playing.

Geez when they ran out on the field they were like buff young men and the Joeys lads looked like the schoolboys they were.

The trick in the end for the Joeys boys was not to contest too much physically in one on one situations, a league speciality, and especially against lads who had obviously spent a lot of time in the gym, but to go with team things such as pick and drives with their recurrent breakdowns, and mauls.

The technical aspects of these were a bit of a mystery to most of the visitors. They weren't so good when the ball was on the ground either because most were accustomed to play stopping whilst the ball was played and with the usual slowing down the play the ball by a dominant tackler whilst most players were going back 10.

So the smaller Joeys boys got them by using rugby technique, but St. Gregs had some impressive lads doing the things common to both sports such as tackling and ballwork.

They didn't play the Joeys Ones, at least at Hunters hill.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That was our downfall. In the 2003 there were only 3 of us who were available that any Rugby playing background. Knowing the game and more importantly how to execute a gameplan proved problematic for most of the boys. Given time they could have come to terms with it but much of it was completely foriegn to many of the born and raised League players. We were supposed to play a trial match against the High 1stXV but that was cancelled after our first trial of the year. We played purely on aggression and athletic ability and for the most part it payed off. If they ever established a serious porgram they would be very competitive. HSHS should be allowed to compete in a regular comp of the likes of GPS. I would imagine being the same sought of boys as we were they would bring very similar levels of intensity coupled with the training to overcome the more technical aspects of play most League guys new to the game struggle to overcome. There's also an added bonus. Most of the boys I played with gained a health respect for the game through their experience at school with several comtinuing to play after they left school.

Johnny Blaze

Herbert Moran (7)
I played in HSHS first rugby team way back in 1990 (when it was known as Grantham HS) that contested the Waratah Shield and there were only 2 players that had rugby experience. Our HPE teacher coached and introduced rugby to our school and was the brother of former Wallaby Steve Tuynman. We didn't do very well as most of us did not take too kindly to getting smashed off the ball in the rucks (plenty of biff and yellow/ red cards).

There was always a league program for the opens which produced Tim Brasher and a host of reserve grade Eels players but as a result the efforts of Mr Tuynman's efforts, many of the boys from that first rugby side converted to rugby in future years, myself included (I have not played a game of league since that year!).

Great to hear how far the rugby has progressed since then, with TSP and plans for a Western Sydney Academy. There was always so much rugby talent in the region but many ended up in league as most schools didn't offer rugby as a sport apart from the odd knock out comp.

Is this the only school nurturing rugby talent in the Blacktown/ Penrith area? Is there any affiliation with the junior clubs and schools?

T

the berries

Good to hear, but I think this post has lost it's way. The topic is Newington v HSHS. And unfortunately I think Newington are not interested in it. Too much to lose and a nil gain for them.

N

no_name12

anybody know anything about Ngs squad? what boys are in it and who is returning? i know of Lawly, Wells, Clark,Dombkins,Walters returning

Status
Not open for further replies.