• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Non-Wallaby RWC Warm Up Matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

Looks like a medial ligament, hope its not too serious, but for the looks that was his RWC

Yep, didnt look good, horrible outcome for Wales in this game with 2 major injuries, not what you want to see with any team in a RWC year. Very, very bad luck for them.

EDIT - Didnt think Wales showed too much even allowing for the injuries. All the NH teams are looking a little off the pace to what i expected.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Seriously bad luck for Wales today. Webb and Halfpenny are massive losses, and despite winning it wasn't very convincing was it.

In opposition to what some people have been saying I felt England looked reasonably in control at the end of the Eng v Ire game, though a little one dimensional. Always going to happen with Wigglesworth, Farrell, Burgess and Barritt all out there. However I will have to watch the game again without the cider and mates around to really focus :D

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I can't believe we lost that one. We were sloppy, and the set piece was poor, but crap decision after crap decision from Wayne Barnes (someone needs to teach him how to ref scrums) gypped us of the opportunities to gain the ball back in our own half.

For a game with 6 nations like intensity albeit with lower levels of skill, I'll take that result though, especially given how poorly Ingerland played there.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
pretty significant. Nadolo kicked 9 from 9 too.

Was 30-8 at half time before they clicked off apparently.

Yeah I saw most of the game as it was streamed on youtube. Fiji looked in cruise control. Definitely took their foot off the gas in the 2nd half. Promisingly for Fiji their kicking game was excellent (both from Nadolo at goal and Matavesi in general play) and their scrum was stronger than Canada's. That doesn't mean they'll be achieving parity up front with England, Wales and Australia but they might not be too far off.

And in attack they can obviously score from anywhere. I guess we'll see in the opening game against England just how good they are.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think anyone should take Fiji lightly and I'm sure we won't be. Can't wait to see what they do against England.

It will be interesting to see how Fiji target their first two games. Given that they play Friday against England then Wednesday against us, it makes it hard to prepare to play your best side in both games.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
The thing is, it's still one of the "longer" short turnarounds, 4 full days without a match, compared to most of the others who seem to be playing wither Saturday - Wednesday or Wednesday - Sunday.

1 day more isn't a huge amount of extra time, but it might be the difference between putting only 7 or 8 starters in the other 23, or 10 or 11 of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that it's a better turnaround than some but it's also their two hardest games on paper.

My thoughts are that Fiji's best tactic to try and advance are to plan on beating Wales and then target one match specifically out of England and Australia.

It is hard to tell whether a five day turnaround as a negative with having one game under your belt as a positive makes it better to target the Australia game versus the England game where both are on a level footing as their first match.

England obviously have home ground advantage as well so it perhaps makes more sense to save your best side and preparation for the game against the Wallabies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's at the start of the tournament so the 5 day break shouldn't be too bad for them. It'd be worse having it before your 3rd or 4th match.

Maybe they'll change a couple of forwards if anyone pulls up a bit sore, but I think they'll try and play their best team in both games. It'd be silly not to IMO. They may actually benefit in a way as a lot of the Wallabies won't have played a game for a few weeks while they'll be more in the groove of playing. It'll be interesting to see if there's greater benefit being fresh or having that match in the bank.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I also think it'd make a joke of the tournament to play a B team in the opening game. England haven't looked that impressive in their warm up matches, their team is not that experienced, their combinations not really settled and their forwards haven't been dominating. And they're under more pressure to perform than probably any other team. Fiji should fancy their chances of an upset. I actually think they have a better chance against them than against us.

After the Wallabies game they have 8 days before the Wales match then another 5 day turnaround for their last match against Uruguay. I don't think it should be a problem for them to play their best team for the first 3 games then play their 2nd XV against Uruguay.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree that on balance playing their best team in the opening match and going all guns blazing for the win makes the most sense for Fiji.

They can then determine how their team is faring before working out how many starters back up against the Wallabies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not RWC match but one involving non Wallaby Australians,

Five Rebels in action as Barbarian FC travel to Worcester.
For the second successive week, Melbourne Rebels' players have starred for Barbarian FC as the prestigious invitational side followed up last week's 27-24 victory over Samoa with an entertaining 43-35 win against Worcester.
Tom English, Mike Harris, Luke Jones, Dom Shipperley and Adam Thomson all started against Worcester, with former Rebel Cooper Vuna in the Warriors' ranks.
And it was Wallaby winger Shipperley who was the star of the show, scoring a hattrick at Sixways while fellow Australian International Harris converted five of six tries, and scored the match-winning penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.