• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Guess this is the right place for this. But MLR bleeding another team. Toronto Arrows have stated they will close shop. Such a shame. MLR for those in the know isn’t in the greatest shape (although some teams doing fine) but it has a massive issue with the viability of teams and the support of it hasn’t realistically grown since year 1.

We have a big issue with the health of the game now outside major international competitions and T14.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Guess this is the right place for this. But MLR bleeding another team. Toronto Arrows have stated they will close shop. Such a shame. MLR for those in the know isn’t in the greatest shape (although some teams doing fine) but it has a massive issue with the viability of teams and the support of it hasn’t realistically grown since year 1.

We have a big issue with the health of the game now outside major international competitions and T14.

I read into it a bit y day & the bloke who owned the team died in august & his kids wanted to wipe their hands of it. It was all too quick to find another buyer. Sad situation not like a cowboy ran the club into debt & bolted it was a bloke with a bit of coin who loved rugby.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I read into it a bit y day & the bloke who owned the team died in august & his kids wanted to wipe their hands of it. It was all too quick to find another buyer. Sad situation not like a cowboy ran the club into debt & bolted it was a bloke with a bit of coin who loved rugby.
That’s the issue tho. Club had to close doors because the sugar daddy couldn’t fund it. It’s not the public interest and size of audience that can make these sustainable. After 5yrs these clubs should be able to be held together based on a tv deal, crowds and sponsorship but there is none of that or very little. It’s a massive issue for the sport that a lot of people keep pulling the wool over their eyes, so can’t see. USA and Canadian rugby strangely are in a poorer spot since MLR, where it should be the reverse.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
That’s the issue tho. Club had to close doors because the sugar daddy couldn’t fund it. It’s not the public interest and size of audience that can make these sustainable. After 5yrs these clubs should be able to be held together based on a tv deal, crowds and sponsorship but there is none of that or very little. It’s a massive issue for the sport that a lot of people keep pulling the wool over their eyes, so can’t see. USA and Canadian rugby strangely are in a poorer spot since MLR, where it should be the reverse.

we are kidding ourselves if we think there is actually enough interest in our game over there to sustain itself. All sides would be propped up by individuals owners

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
New York now gone from MLR.

Tin pot league about 1,2 sides leaving away from full collapse.
Have been saying for a while but the overall health of the game isn’t in a great state. So many emerging markets have fallen away and many major markets aren’t in as good a health as they have been in the past.

Look at England for example the domestic league potentially will lose another couple of clubs in the next 12 months, the tv product has dramatically down scaled from what was offered. The welsh domestic participation is constantly up in the air. NZ metrics have improved in the last 12 months but are down from where they were a decade ago. Japan has major issues in the background with engagement dropping and companies considering their rugby investment. We all know how much of a mess we are in. We drastically need new thinking in the game, the direction and disconnect across government is a concern.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
On an unrelated topic, I wonder if MLR might try a bit of guerilla marketing at the NRL's season opener in Las Vegas - the Yanks just think it's all "rugby", after all.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Mad if they don't. Stick an add up on a big screen during the game.

Wonder what the crowd will end up. They haven't opened the top deck yet at the stadium for it and you can get some tickets for $14

Said something about 20,000 already sold but I'm hesitant to believe they have been purchased and not given out to as many corporates as possible in any way related.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Black Lion just knocked off Scarlets, convincingly! in wales!!

its become a real arm wrestle at domestic level who is more of a dumpster fire us or the Welsh!

It wasn't even a "full strength Georgian" side, their best players all play in France

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't really have the connection or time to be watching rugby in the North, but I see that Leicester is in second spot behind Leinster in their pool for the Champions Cup. As a more than interested observer of Dan McKellar's progress as coach, and remembering Leicester apparently got off to a poor start to the year, does anyone have a view on how Dan is going at the moment? Must have had some wins along the way now to be in a high spot?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really have the connection or time to be watching rugby in the North, but I see that Leicester is in second spot behind Leinster in their pool for the Champions Cup. As a more than interested observer of Dan McKellar's progress as coach, and remembering Leicester apparently got off to a poor start to the year, does anyone have a view on how Dan is going at the moment? Must have had some wins along the way now to be in a high spot?
7 from 10 in the league isn't amazing.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
7 from 10 after 8 isn't amazing for the talent in their squad domestically.

Champions Cup looks good, but it's based entirely on a single win over the stormers at home who's squad has been stretched after playing in the URC final last season plus all the Springboks only just filtering back.

They may win overnight and blow Stade away (I think they've selected a bit of a rotational side) to top the pool after the first pair of matches but the post COVID formats are a very mixed bag. I could see Stade effectively packing it in as they currently sit at the top of table domestically and would prefer to focus on one competition rather than two as French teams with their, comparatively brutal schedules, often do.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

He had so many players at the world cup that slowly filtered back in, its only now they are starting to get going. Not convinced on the tigers depth so if they can keep players on the park they might be a shot but its going to be tight for that 4th spot in the prem

Steve_Grey

Ward Prentice (10)
Do yourself a favour fellas, if you missing a bit of rugby watch that Quinns/Cherry & White game from this morn, great fun watch!
Over 76,000 at Twickenham to watch that English Club game, but equally impressive was a sell-out of over 15,000 at Exeter Chiefs - shows you don't need huge stadiums to host professional rugby teams that supporters are passionate about. Ten teams in the England Rugby Premiership mixed full of Internationals and Non-Internationals [some who will never be, and some who could well be] - some teams part-funded by wealthy individuals, some not - all teams followed by passionate supporters.

Food for thought for the new management team coming in to run Rugby in Australia - time for a National Club Comp in Australia to replace Super Rugby?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Over 76,000 at Twickenham to watch that English Club game, but equally impressive was a sell-out of over 15,000 at Exeter Chiefs - shows you don't need huge stadiums to host professional rugby teams that supporters are passionate about. Ten teams in the England Rugby Premiership mixed full of Internationals and Non-Internationals [some who will never be, and some who could well be] - some teams part-funded by wealthy individuals, some not - all teams followed by passionate supporters.

Food for thought for the new management team coming in to run Rugby in Australia - time for a National Club Comp in Australia to replace Super Rugby?

The English system has also seen at least 5 long established historic clubs "die" (London Welsh, London Irish, Wasps, Worcester and Jersey) and another 4 (Leeds, London Scottish, Hartlepool and Richmond) give up on seeking anything more than promotion to and/or survival in the Championship.

I hope many in Australia are prepared for similar to happen to their favourites.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really enjoy the comp, but watch it it knowing they will get big crowds during holiday season, but regardless a good comp. Is a worry that Newcastle Falcons also had to let a fair few of their players go this season, got a few young ones straight out of academy and a few from lower grade clubs to fill our roster.

I not sure there any clubs in Aus (or NZ either) are putting up hands and saying let's do same, just not an option in the real world.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
The English system has also seen at least 5 long established historic clubs "die" (London Welsh, London Irish, Wasps, Worcester and Jersey) and another 4 (Leeds, London Scottish, Hartlepool and Richmond) give up on seeking anything more than promotion to and/or survival in the Championship.

I hope many in Australia are prepared for similar to happen to their favourites.
Yeah, with clubs collapsing despite all the money in the game, the small boutique stadiums, reduced travel costs, etc. I'm not sure I'd be rushing to copy the English model.