• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC 2017 Round 4: Fiji Drua vs Perth Spirit - Saturday @3pm AEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This does sound a lot like the 'foreigners stealing our jerbs' bleating. If the Number 8 or 10 was there, good enough and ready to play then they would not have recruited outside the country. I can't see any reason to go elsewhere other than the inability to source talent locally.

I think foreign talent is much more likely to be a symptom rather than a cause. Though it might lead to more damaging cyclical behaviour in the long run.
I agree with all that - except I don't feel that your first line doesn't take into account the rest of
my comments. I am not critical of the individual unions who are trying to put together competitive sides. I don't think either the Rebels or the Brumbies had much choice last year but to go OS based on the lack of availability of Australian players to fill the 10 spot. The Brumbies in particular were put in a hard spot with the unfortunate diagnosis of Lealiifano and the Force were impacted by the injury to Lance.

The problem won't resolve itself overnight. But I do feel it has improved. There appears to be genuine talent coming through at 6, 8 & 9. It is a bit early to make a call in Mason or Stewart, but I think they look promising at least. The NRC is giving some of these guys exposure that they weren't getting before.

Status
Not open for further replies.