• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Law Variations - have your say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Tomorrow will be the first meeting of an ARU panel to suggest rule variations for the NRC. The four panel members will be officially announced tomorrow, but think World Cup winning coaches, top ex-refs, National coaches and tug boats.

Straight after that meeting G&GR will be meeting with the panel for about 15-20 minutes. What would you like us to ask or suggest to them, either about the panel or the areas of rules to look at changing?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the purpose of the NRC Rule variations? To make the game more exciting to spectators or bring out skills to players?

Does the decision come down to the purpose of the NRC? That is, if its a development comp, then should it not be the same laws as the rest of the world so we are testing like for like. Or if its a bums on seats thing, then we can vary to our hearts content.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
All of the rule changes I can think of, that I would like to see would essentially disadvantage australian players when they have to revert to playing under the standard rules, so I'm not really keen to see any changes to the ruck, maul or point scoring (our kickers need to practice kicking penalties, they are going to have to in Super and International games so I see no need to diminish the importance of the that facet of play)

The one thing I think they could do to speed the game up is limit the time teams have to get settled ready to scrummage. If a scrum is reset, there is no need for them all to break up and mill around like browns cows and waste another minute. They are all already there, just pack and bind. If one team takes longer than 15 seconds, short arm the other way for first offence then penalties.

I also think the TMO should only be able to adjudicate on play that occured in the 22 leading up to a try. I'm sick of the constant delays and checking after every try is scored.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What a great opportunity to invigorate the game outside IRB constraints, reduce negative tactics and increase the entertainment factor.
- No kicking out on the full from inside your 22.
- Time off for scrum resets inside the last 5 mins of each half.
- Try a rugby ball that doesn't travel so far in the air, so that aimless kicking and long range penalty goal attempts have less appeal. It's good enough for a traditional game like golf to place restrictions on equipment so why not us?

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
None, Zero, Sweet FA. Lets have consistency of rules across all levels of the game so we don't have the frustrating situation of players having to adjust to new rules happen more than it needs to.

This isn't the AFL or NRL, we don't own the rules of the game and it is not up to us to decide what laws are there to be ignored.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I'm not a grumpy old man, so I'll have a say. 2 point kicks for everything, more short arms from the ELV's and tighter regulation of the scrumfeed and I'm happy.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
None, Zero, Sweet FA. Lets have consistency of rules across all levels of the game so we don't have the frustrating situation of players having to adjust to new rules happen more than it needs to.

This isn't the AFL or NRL, we don't own the rules of the game and it is not up to us to decide what laws are there to be ignored.
Let's cut through the BS, rugby is struggling like hell competing in an overcrowded Australian sport's marketplace. The AFL and NRL are unfortunately eating our lunch at the moment by most measures. They control their games and it shows. We are in the entertainment business and the NRC actually provides us with a unique opportunity to change things like rules.
Players will cope fine with changes. The overwhelming majority playing in the NRC won't be playing test rugby in the immediate short term but even if they do, they'll handle rule changes just like they have to handle increases in pace and intensity in tests and playing to a new style of coaching as a Wallaby.
Loosen up, we're pitching a 3rd level product.
The other option is stay with the IRB's rules and more of the same. Meanwhile Australia is voting with their feet, bums, sponsorship $$$, TV rights and hearts.
You never know, the IRB might follow our lead again.
How did professional rugby come about?

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
I post points solutions everywhere but am derided as a radical ( I posted one on the roar saying tries worth 1 point, everything else 0)

Here are some reasonable suggestions:

Scrum penalties aren't kickable
Infringe in the red zone at your peril

Line out throws that aren't straight can only be ruled not straight if the other team had a reasonable chance of getting the ball (simpler: if you don't contest the line out it doesn't have to be straight)

If the opposition deliberately choke tackles you then you get the feed ( defined as they start the maul, not you)

Penalties 2 points and are only kickable if offside, foul play when outside the 22, can kick anything else when in the 22 ( scrum penalties are still exempt )

Some of these are more practical than others but I think at the very least the line out one should be put in

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Agree in fact just make a law that says the ref can just tell them to quit fucking around and play footy when teams are messing

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Scrum penalties aren't kickable
Infringe in the red zone at your peril

The forseeable consequence of this is that the refs will need to man up and dish out a lot of cards to stop the defending team infringing. Otherwise there is no disincentive to not continually collapse the scrum if you are being dominated.

So further to your rule, maybe the first player to the bin gets a yellow, the second player to the bin gets an orange card (orange card = 10 mins or as long as it takes the opposition to score a try, whichever is the most time) and 3rd player a red card and so on.

And if your whole front row ends up in the bin you arent allowed to go to uncontested scrums in the 22. Any scrum awarded against you in the 22 either becomes a penalty try or the backs can man up and have a push in the scrum.

Now we're just getting a bit silly.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd like to see no rule variations. Play under the same rules they will play Super Rugby and hopefully test rugby.

Ideally a directive from the ARU to come down hard on cynical infringing and dish at cards as required.

Will ensure players develop skills they will use at the higher level, and teams wanting to infringe will have to learn to be fucking smart.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the best thing Rugby could do was reduce laws.

I liked the removal of the 'no hands in the ruck' law during the ARC. Happy to see that again.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Interesting concept Reg, did it just mean that teams would just crash into the ruck and push passed it?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think the time off between scrums is a great rule that should be implemented. I miss watching games as a kid that had injury time, because you dont get enough rugby in todays games. Not sure what the stats are but I would have thought scrums take up an average of at least 10 minutes of play each match. Stopping the play between scrums means more game time, means more rugby for the fans, means improving the fitness of the players, etc. Its a change that I think will not only make the presentation more attractive for viewers but could have a positive influence on our players

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't listen to the 'don't try anything' brigade. We should absolutely use the NRC to trial law variations that will encourage positive rugby and increase ball in play time (without increasing the time matches take to finish). Plus, if we trial variations that work it gives greater impetus for them to be trialled at higher levels by the IRB.

I have 3 suggestions:

1) Speed up the binding process at the scrum. Why does the referee even need to say 'Crouch, Bind, Set' ? Have the scrums just bind up on their own - within say 20 seconds of the scrum being called. The ref can then check it's stable and square and nod to the half back when they're happy for them to feed it. Also I think it would be good to use special jersey's for props to allow better grip (as used in the SA Varsity Cup).

2) No penalty goals. Get rid of them. Use yellow cards for cynical or repeated infringements. Kickers can go without penalty goals for 8 games a year. They'd still be kicking conversions and will be kicking penalties at club level and super rugby level. And at training.

Don't just put certain offences down to free kicks because all that happens is you create another tier of escalation for repeat offences. Under the ELV's refs would blow a few free kicks, then escalate to penalties, and then after perhaps 7 or 8 of the same offences go to the card. It shouldn't work like that.

3) This is a little more left field, but how about an extra point for a try that starts in your own half (i.e. if possession is first gained in your own half, and that leads to a try without any stoppage or turnover).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Agreed.........

First, there's nothing at all wrong with the current points system.

Second, if there are going to be any new laws trialed they only need to be minor tweaks with the goal of simply improving current aspects of the game..........

Let's not turn this into a circus.......... changing the laws isn't going to suddenly draw people to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.