• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyhow....

I think 'NSW Country' will require a branding as they're now essentially a Sydney eastern suburbs club.....

Players do seem to naturally align with city clubs do to facilities and location anyway so I would say they are more than likely to fill that squad with ample amounts of country players.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyway I hope the NRC succeeds but you blokes need to be realistic that a player is not going to move from his club when his club probably supports him more than the NRC franchise pays him which can be about 2 k to play for 8 - 11 weeks as well as having to bare some relocation expenses.

This is why the NRC is struggling to gain traction. We are about to enter year 3 and I still struggle to be see how it is sustainable without making every rugby club who invested in it go broke.

All well and good for the ARU to tell the people that support them to support it until they start going bankrupt as well.

T

TOCC

It's amateur rugby or a faux seme-professional league, it's not designed for players to earn a living off.. If there are young played out there with intent to play at a higher level, and they aren't been offered that opportunity in their affiliated NRC club then they will look for opportunities elsewhere, if they don't then that's there perogative.

Players will naturally gravitate to the NRC team that their club is affiliated with, and there's nothing wrong with that, that's not indicative of the comp failing to gain traction, it's a reflection of an increase in opportunity to play at a higher level.

In QLD it's now a goal or aim to be selected for Brisbane City or QLD Country, it's now recognised as an opportunity to step up to playing professionally and young players want it. NSW is fighting within itself but eventually players will recognise this as well.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't hate the Shute Shield... however I do detest the manner in which it works against the rest of the country to sabotage the progress of Australian rugby.

Sabotage is the wrong word Shute Shield clubs provide the financial support to these NSW sides that would hardly be called sabotaging.

I would say you are 'uninformed' or 'ignorant'.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sabotage is the wrong word Shute Shield clubs provide the financial support to these NSW sides that would hardly be called sabotaging.

I would say you are 'uninformed' or 'ignorant'.

Outside of the Rays how much financial support has there actually been. The Rams are privately owned with the clubs holding minority stakes, wasn't the 'Fanatics' bloke putting up the cash for the Stars. Fairly certain that Country's backing was majority private as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Rams weren't privately owned at inception.
How would have the fanatics guy have gone without full backing from Uni?
Ditto Country.
If we are playing the blame game as to who hasn't given the comp enough support,start with the Tahs.
compare the resources they invested in the NRC with the Reds involvement....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't hate the Shute Shield... however I do detest the manner in which it works against the rest of the country to sabotage the progress of Australian rugby.

I'd love to hear you theory on that. I'd love to see some evidence of that.

Please provide chapter and verse.

Even by internet standards, your statement is such a sweeping, hyperbolic gereralisation to be almost beyond belief.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Outside of the Rays how much financial support has there actually been. The Rams are privately owned with the clubs holding minority stakes, wasn't the 'Fanatics' bloke putting up the cash for the Stars. Fairly certain that Country's backing was majority private as well.

Even if you are correct - how precisely does holding a minority stake in a privately owned operation amount to "sabotaging the progress of Australia rugby?"

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Even if you are correct - how precisely does holding a minority stake in a privately owned operation amount to "sabotaging the progress of Australia rugby?"

I was responding to the idea that the clubs are funding the NSW NRC teams. Outside of the Rays which that is actually the case, the level of funding to the others isn't as substatial as some may like to represent.

T

TOCC

Same old bloody argument...
Give it a rest, if you want to start Shute Shield pro/con arguments then go start another thread

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I was responding to the idea that the clubs are funding the NSW NRC teams. Outside of the Rays which that is actually the case, the level of funding to the others isn't as substatial as some may like to represent.

You liked post #224, which I assumed meant that you agreed with it's contents.

T

TOCC

So along with the reduction in teams from 9 to 8, they have also scrapped the Bye Round which means the season is 2 weeks shorter. It's starting 1 week later then 2015 and finishing 1 week earlier.

The implications of this along with the Shute Shield finishing 1 week earlier means Sydney teams will align with the QLD teams and have a 3 week break between the club Grand Finals and the first round of the NRC, instead of the situation they faced in 2015 when the Sydney Teams only had a 5 day break. This should have a positive influence on the Sydney team performances.

2015 Club-NRC Season:
SS GF: 15th Aug
QPR GF: 2nd Aug
NRC Rd 1: 20th Aug

2016 Club-NRC Season:
SS GF: 6th Aug
QPR GF: 7th Aug
NRC Rd 1: 27th Aug

In terms of the remaining fixtures, the ARU/Foxtel haven't shirked away from broadcasting games on the NRL/AFL Grand Final weekend, with games on both Saturday and Sunday, they at least managed to play the AFL City teams(Perth and Melbourne) on the Sunday.
AFL GF: Sat 1st Oct
NRL GF: Sun 2nd Oct

T

TOCC

Having the NRC on at 3pm works well with the Rugby Championship/ITM Cup and will hopefully capture some of the additional viewers, if nothing else it makes for a great afternoon of sitting on the couch watching rugby.

Rugby Championship
20th Aug 8:05pm AEST vs New Zealand
27th Aug 5:35pm AEST vs New Zealand
10th Sep 8:05pm AEST vs South Africa
17th Sep 8:05pm AEST vs Argentina
2nd Oct 1:05am AEST vs South Africa
9th Oct 5:30am AEST vs Argentina

Fox example:
27th Aug
12:35pm AEST- Waikato vs North Harbour
3:00pm AEST- NSW Eagles vs Brisbane City
5:35pm AEST- Wallabies vs All Blacks