• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

T

Train Without a Station

Nah I'd say it's probably linked to participation. It's not surprising that sports who capture more of the public get more public money.

Hence why every sport pumps up their numbers in any way they can. Despite people thinking this is some grand ARU conspiracy to fool the rugby public.

Unfortunately it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rugby has always been the lowest of the football codes for participation, so will always receive less grants as a result, which leads to rugby being the lowest of the football codes for participation.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Nah I'd say it's probably linked to participation. It's not surprising that sports who capture more of the public get more public money.

Hence why every sport pumps up their numbers in any way they can. Despite people thinking this is some grand ARU conspiracy to fool the rugby public.

Unfortunately it becomes a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rugby has always been the lowest of the football codes for participation, so will always receive less grants as a result, which leads to rugby being the lowest of the football codes for participation.

A well thought out proposal supporting spending money in Western Sydney in the year before a federal election supported by one of Australia's richest men is probably going to get some sympathetic hearings as well

T

TOCC

How is it that we seem to be one of the few sports that don't receive government assistance?

Do we ask or does everyone think that we're just a bunch of spoilt toffs?

ARU just received $20million from State and Federal government to build themselves a glorious new office block at Moore Park.

Federal government has also supported the Sevens program with a few $million over the past few years, and you will probably find the NSW Govt dangled a healthy carrot to capture the Sydney Sevens tournament.

QLD Govt provides funding for the Reds and academy programs, I'm sure other states do under their respective Institutes of Sport.

Other codes just do it better

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
A well thought out proposal supporting spending money in Western Sydney in the year before a federal election supported by one of Australia's richest men is probably going to get some sympathetic hearings as well
Are we going to have a nrc review thread now this season finished in terms of what worked well and opportunities for improvement as this thread too general?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Nup. This is the thread. Go for it.

Nah answered survey - just more when see ideas from others helps create some interesting brain storming and perhaps a thread asking specifically for what worked well and opportunities for improvement might have just been interesting for me to read others thoughts as more clever blokes and ladies on here than me

T

TOCC

Mentioned in another thread...

But could have a playoff between some teams like Tonga, Samoa, Maori based on NRC performances.. not a test match, but a little representative reward for good performances and also allow some player to represent their nationality without compromising their ability to play for the Wallabies..

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've been thinking about the scrum and the scoring system in the NRC and potentially the game as a whole. I've been a fan of the scoring system but my general feeling from seeing the reactions of those north of the equator maakes me think that we're unlikely to see a smooth transition if they were ever to be ratified. Many seem too caught up on tries being worth 6 instead of 5 and converted tries being worth 8 as opposed to 7. Odd as it's only one point.

Anyway, I'd like to see the scoring system largely revert back to the current system with a notable exception being penalties. I'd like to see if what we've seen in the first three seasons of the NRC remains true if they were reduced to just one point. So essentially a 5-2-1 compared to the 6-2-2 or 5-3-2 previously used.

The second is the scrum. First I'd like the 30 sec variation enforced more judiciously. I think the officials were a little lax with that this season. Second, and I say this as an ex-tighthead head. I'd like to see the hit replaced by a fold in motion at scrum time. In this scenario front rowers would pre-bind while standing and then fold in shoulder to shoulder thus removing the hit.

Idea would be apart from potential safety benefits, this would lead to far more stable scrums allowing for play to be restarted more quickly while removing a lot of slowing tactics used come scrum time.

Some may suggest this would de-power the scrum but that's nonsense. Thd shove will still be there and teams could still use it as a weapon. This move would place further emphasis on technique and unit cohesion instead of less.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I like the idea of returning to a 5-2 split, but I would have penalty goals at 2 points, otherwise the incentive to concede penalties would be through the roof. And yes, you could respond by dishing out cards, but nobody wants to see a game decided by the fact that there was a 2 or 3 player differential on the field during key moments.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The refs had no problems dishing out cards in the ARC in 2007, and I must say the players quickly responded to the threat of missing minutes. The quality of play wasn't affected in any way, if anything it was of a higher quality than expected.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
"Cards" equivalent are rife in some sports (water polo in particular which many saa as a water borne equivalent of rugby only with less players) and they manage well enough. For them the exclusion lasts until the next goal shot, however long that takes, IIRC.

Some on here have mooted a White Card (5 minute exclusion). There is merit in exploring that and perhaps the White Card offender should remain in the Sin Bin until the next try is scored against their team, whether that be 30 seconds or 30 minutes.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like the idea of returning to a 5-2 split, but I would have penalty goals at 2 points, otherwise the incentive to concede penalties would be through the roof. And yes, you could respond by dishing out cards, but nobody wants to see a game decided by the fact that there was a 2 or 3 player differential on the field during key moments.
As long as penalties stay at 2 points and tries no less than 5 points I could accept that - but I never ever ever want to see reversion back to three points for a penalty and 5 points for a try. Might be ok for northern hemisphere but will continue to restrict wider fan interest in rugby in this country with a scoring system that is outdated for interests of modern day sports fans especially coupled with increased laws for infringements over the decades that led to more penalties on average per game.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
There's not. TBH, I found coverage of that pretty hard to come by, they struggled to get some of the players they wanted, and I don't think it served a development purpose.

Whilst it was all quite 'nice', my personal opinion is an honour XV achieves the same thing without the costs.

Amirite - an update - bumped into a friend who reckons that there is something being planned re an NRC Baa Baas side. No firm details as yet however will post when there is.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Amirite - an update - bumped into a friend who reckons that there is something being planned re an NRC Baa Baas side. No firm details as yet however will post when there is.

It's getting a bit late isn't it? Clubs are starting preseason haha.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What might they be planning?
A picnic?

Can't see how they could play a game until December, playing a game before trial games next year is hardly optimal either.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Could they be looking at an NRC Baa Baas side to enter the Brisbane 10s?

Hypothetically, but they've already booked all of the teams in.

Maybe if they decided 14 is a silly number (and it is, two pools of 4 and two of 3) or if someone pulled out.