• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 3: Brisbane City vs Queensland Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Ben Hyne scored a meat pie for City yesterday.

He is one player to watch.

Nick Stiles said he was Brothers best forward in 2015 and rightly so.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stiles seems to have a pretty fair eye for talent ID. Now I know a few of these guys have come through various systems anyway, but the likes of Talakai, Kotze, Gibbon, Tim Smith, and Hyne are all players Nick has liked the look of and been able to get into the system through the NRC.

An excellent result.

something

Jim Clark (26)
just watching the replay now

Forwards: Saia Fainga'a .... how many line outs do you want to lose? Ready all over him, and playing well. Cornelson having a good game as well, he's a skinny dude but seems like a very smart player. Higgers seems quiet except at line out time.

Perese having another strong performance, has been Country's most dangerous outside back. Duncan having a strong game too. I think Frisby had the edge on Tuttle.

Battle of fly halves is really fun to watch. Best segment involving the two was at 22mins when City had advantage on the 50, Mcintyre put in a really smart chip for Laloifi which was cleaned up by Pincus, Greene comes from the other side of the field to relieve pressure and puts a booming kick 60m out back up the field.

Greene has been keeping QC (Quade Cooper) in the game continuously pinning City in their own half and his intercept at 26mins is just smart footy. McIntyre is creating more space for his outside backs though, and has put in some very clever short kicks. There was one around 35mins for Gibbon which didn't come off but it was a very smart play. Overall i'd say both have played really well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is "Prince" the endorsed nickname for Junior Laloifi?
prince_bp.jpg
LALOIFI,-Junior.jpg
1412084311_131203_prince_16.jpg

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Just watched the replay as well.

It was a thoroughly entertaining game with some strong set piece action and great attacking rugby and structure. QCountry are unlucky not to have a win yet. Had Junior not scored that runaway it would have been a cracking finish with the ability Greene has to pin a team with his boot.

I'm not a Magnay fan, that's the best game I've seen him play. Thought he went well at 12. I don't have an issue with two strong running centres if you have a distributing 15 like Duncan. You can see they constantly move him into different positions in the back line in attack. I'm starting to like the look of Duncan as well, he would make a very good 12 however I don't mind him at 15. Not a 10 IMO.

Greene just pipped McIntyre for me. I thought he controlled the game better and was a bigger threat. His only real negative was shooting out of the line for creating the space for that last try.

Kurindrani was very good(again I haven't been a huge fan since his injury). Very powerful, strong in contact, skilful and aware of the space around him. Some people were raving about him last NRC however IMO that form was more due to terrible defence in those games. The defence was pretty solid tonight (in contact) and he had a real impact. I hope he is finally overcoming that serious leg injury from a few years back.

Perese was strong again however he never uses anyone around him. During that run where he injured himself he could have passed or offloaded a few times but didn't even look. I'm all for backing yourself but they were in behind the defence and he should have looked to keep that movement alive. Something I think Junior currently has over him.

To be honest I don't think there were any real poor performances in that game, some were just a bit quieter/didn't get as many opportunities. Both forward packs were good. QCountry scrum was very solid at times and I thought they took it to the more experienced City pack.

City will be hard to beat this year. I hope Country can grab a few wins in coming weeks and sneak into the top 4.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
pretty bang on analysis there Purce. Agree with all of it.

I thought the same about Perese when he got tackled prior to his injury. A nice little pop pass on the inside was the go, rather than trying to take the ball into contact.

I feel the same about Country. They've played three of the top four teams so far (Stars, Rising and Brisbane) so can come home strong. Hopefully injuries won't be too much of a factor.

something

Jim Clark (26)
They're both really good players.

A future combination could be - Greene #10 & McIntyre #15.

Or vice versa. Greene seems to play at 15 a lot in defence, and his kicking game would make him very dangerous at the back. Could be a little short though. Interestingly, i think their games would complement each other quite nicely

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Or vice versa. Greene seems to play at 15 a lot in defence, and his kicking game would make him very dangerous at the back. Could be a little short though. Interestingly, i think their games would complement each other quite nicely

Agreed. Out of the two I was thinking Greene would be a much better option at 15. His kicking, speed and running with ball in hand are all superior to McIntyre.

Status
Not open for further replies.