• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 3: Canberra v Western Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CANBERRA VIKINGS:
1. Sione Taula, 2. Connal McInerney, 3. Leslie Leuluaialii-Makin, 4. Blake Enever, 5. Darcy Swain, 6. BJ Edwards, 7.Michael Oakman-Hunt, 8. Ben Hyne (c), 9. Ryan Lonergan, 10. Wharenui Hawera, 11. Andy Muirhead, 12. Jordan Jackson-Hope, 13. Len Ikitau, 14. Lausii Taliauli, 15. Tom Banks
Replacements: 16. Josh Mann-Rea, 17. Vunipola Fifita, 18. Tom Ross, 19. Rob Valetini, 20. Brodie Leber, 21. Joe Powell, 22. Irae Simone, 23. Mac Hansen

WESTERN FORCE:
1. Harry Lloyd, 2. Harry Scoble, 3. Kieran Longbottom, 4. Fergus Lee-Warner, 5. Jeremy Thrush, 6. Tevin Ferris, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Brynard Stander, 9. Ian Prior (C), 10. Andrew Deegan, 11. Rod Davies, 12. Henry Taefu, 13. Marcel Brache, 14. Masivesi Dakuwaga, 15. Jack McGregor
Replacements: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Cameron Orr, 18. Chris Heiberg, 19. Leon Power, 20. Harrison Orr, 21. Issak Fines-Leleiwasa, 22. Rodney Iona, 23. Peter Grant

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Force stay the same as last week.

Vikings have some Wallabies back with Banks at fullback and Powell on the bench. Rob Valetini returning from injury too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Still think the Vikings need a conventional No 7 to put more pressure on the breakdown. Oakman-Hunt would be better placed at 6 imo. The other change up I'd like to see is Simone at 12 in place of JJH.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force coach Tim Sampson to come up against former team Canberra Vikings
Nick Taylor - The West Australian - Saturday, 15 September 2018

Western Force coach Tim Sampson will be back in familiar territory at Canberra’s Viking Park for Sunday’s National Rugby Championship clash with the Vikings.
But he won’t get the warm welcome he received last year when he led the ACT side to a semi-final win over Perth Spirit.

When his 2017 NRC campaign ended with a grand final loss to Queensland Country Sampson took charge of the new look Western Force in World Series Rugby.
Now he is scheming to dig away at the Vikings foundations he laid before the move.
At the top of his plan is combating the set-piece tactics of a side with 12 Super Rugby Brumbies in the starting side and another four in the reserves.

“With that amount of Brumbies they go with what works well for them,” Sampson said.
“They have got a very good set piece. They rely a lot on their scrum and maul and do it really well. We’ve got to negate that, disrupt that, and get them away from playing to their strengths."
“They are a highly skilled team that likes to throw the ball around but it all starts up front.”

The Force are unbeaten after two rounds, having beaten Brisbane City and NSW Country Eagles while the Vikings got on the winning trail against Sydney Rays last week after an opening round loss to Queensland Country

Sampson has made just one change to his starting side with centre Henry Taefu returning after being a late withdrawal last weekend while hooker Heath Tessmann comes onto the bench for his first game of the season.

Vikings coach Nick Scrivener has moved Tom Banks to full-back and Andrew Muirhead to the left wing with former Force back Chance Peni unavailable after receiving a head injury in the 54-17 win over Sydney Rays 54-17 last weekend.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
After two sensational rounds I’m not sure why any coach would bench JJH?

JJH was very good today, although I won't forgive the missed tackle on Teafu to allow him to go over for a try. I do accept that Tafu should have been put down, or at least held prior to beating JJH. I would still like to see Simone get good game time either in 12 or 13, but imo Ikitau has been at least as good or better than JJH, so where does he go?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The game looked lost after Makin went off injured and the Force scrum annihilated the Vikings. But things evened up when Mann-Rea and No 17 came on. Impressed with the efforts of the No 17, Vunipola Fefita?. Darcy Swain was MOTM for me. In everything and high skill levels. Valetini also looked in good form when he came on. Earned a turnover or two which is a distinct weakness in the current Vikings lineup otherwise.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
JJH was very good today, although I won't forgive the missed tackle on Teafu to allow him to go over for a try. I do accept that Tafu should have been put down, or at least held prior to beating JJH. I would still like to see Simone get good game time either in 12 or 13, but imo Ikitau has been at least as good or better than JJH, so where does he go?
Nice problem to have...

Status
Not open for further replies.