• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Semi-Final 1 - Vikings v Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In theory I suppose it could still advantage a team trying for a quick lineout from the same ball.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I think he left the technical zone to do so, hard to see where I was sitting.

A few injury concerns for the Vikings with Taliauli and Anae the biggest worry.

And some other players with ice packs on corks etc

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Joe Powell just gets better and better. His service off the ground is fast and accurate (not like others we could name:)). And for a little bloke, he sure hits the rucks (when necessary) and tackles with a lot of aggression. Played behind the winning scrum tonight (though not a lot in it) and outplayed Meehan imo.

I'm sure his crisp, speedy service contributed to Christian's MOTM.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Lealiafano looked like a Wallaby playing against tier 2 players. He was good.

Arnold's a beast. If he and Coleman keep developing we could have two Retallick's at the next RWC.

Ita Vaea is an amazing player and still looks like unfit. Imagine him in supreme condition. Would be a lock for higher honours.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Joe Powell's defence is pathetic it must be said, I mean he's a halfback but he's a true a turnstyle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For the record:
UC Vikings 50 (J. Butler, R. Iona (2), B. Alexander, F. Fainifo, I. Vaea, Penalty try tries; C. Lealiifano (5) cons) defeated Melbourne Rising 34 (S. Ili, J. Placid, C. Ah Nau, S. Tuipoluto, C. Fainga’a tries; J. Debreczeni (4) cons)

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I thought the Vikings defence was too passive in the first half, and they rarely contested the rucks. The Rising loosies had a field day the whole game, with Colby Faainga the pick of them.

Vikings defence was more aggressive in the second half, but it was still a mighty battle to win the game. Rising were very good, and it was the Vikings set piece dominance that eventually got them on top.

Lealiifano had a blinder, and Rory Arnold and Powell also played well. I think Smiler was sorely missed, not sure if he will be back next week. Frankie Fainifo still knows how to finish, but he needs to stop the desperate off-load when he is tackled. Two went to ground with lost possession when Vikings were hot on attack, and the third went straight to Colby Faainga to score untouched from halfway.

I was like the rest of the crowd, wondering WTF was that penalty for on the Vikings throw mentioned earlier.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was it possible that the fact the vikings' trainer (or whomever) touched the ball would have given the Vikings the opportunity to take a quick throw in before the Rising had a chance to reach the point of touch. I recall it was a particularly long clearing kick by JD. Just trying to put some logic into the subsequent penalty.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Surely Houston is wrong about awarding that penalty to the Rising for the Vikings trainer touching the ball on their throw in? Madness.

Houston's call was correct. Players and trainers were penalised quite a bit last year. Not so much this year as most players and trainers learnt not to touch the ball.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Was it possible that the fact the vikings' trainer (or whomever) touched the ball would have given the Vikings the opportunity to take a quick throw in before the Rising had a chance to reach the point of touch. I recall it was a particularly long clearing kick by JD. Just trying to put some logic into the subsequent penalty.

I agree there is a logic issue. Ultimately the law makers decided to support the quick throw in and speed of the game with harsh penalties for anyone touching the ball who is not involved in the game.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

It's an NRC law variation "If support staff or reserves deliberately touch the ball a PK is awarded 15m in."

BTW... well played Canberra.

Status
Not open for further replies.