• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks, Quick Hands, you saved me an early morning Saturday trip to Sydney's Eastern Suburbs. May or may not go out to QP, for 1st & 2nd's in view of the weather.

C'mon B & W, we need a match report from you on this cracking match (in prospect)! What else are you going to do on a Saturday afternoon? Careful or Mrs B & W will dig out that "to do" list

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
The new man at Kings comes from a school in Perth. I think you'll find that there was a split on the board between Parry and the new guy and the clergy beat the old boys in the vote.

That is not good for the new leadership at Kings. If the new Head is already unliked, resented or doesn't have the complete confidence of the School Board, he need to grow eyes in the back of his head very quickly. For all he has to do is make a few decisions that are unpopular and the "Knives will be out for him".

A new Headmaster must have the complete confidence of his school board, who will be supportive of the direction in which he takes the school. This Headmaster doesn't have that support, so a decision like co-eduction with Tara would put him on an immediate collision course with the Old Boys who provide funding.

He will need to be very careful, as a some on this site have indicated that elements within the school board want him to take a new cultural direction for TKS.In the Media, I am sure Alan Jones could add fuel to the fire. In essence any Headmaster can be expected to be attacked from multi-directions such as :-

Old Boys

Parents

Students

Parents

The Media

The Educational Community

Equally, the clergy who may supported him in preference to Andrew Parry, could come under attack themselves.

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
Half time at Bellevue hill it's 14-5 to Scots very good game
Scots won 2nds 27-5 and the 3rds 17-7 16a"s was a 19 all draw

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
An interesting game at Bellevue Hill.....but not a great game.
33-19 was probably a fair reflection of the day.
Very stop start, punctuated more by errors than anything else.
So how do the CAS pretenders stack up?
Knox were competitive but somehow never looked as if they were going to win.
A big set of forwards they were steady in the scrums and secure in the line out with a towering second row. They rumbled well and the pick and drive close to the Scots line was their most effective move.
But out in the Knox backs there was little going on......aside from the individual brilliance of the number 15 who darted, ducked and weaved elusively all afternoon.
Overall Knox ran predictable lines and there was little penetration with the ball in hand from either forwards or backs. Against a well organised defence and sizeable opposition they needed a plan B.

Scots for their part didn't play their best, dropped balls, possession kicked away and 3 yellow cards that saw them play for almost half the game with 14 men.
In the first half they repeatedly deployed the box kick directly into the arms of Knox's most potent weapon, the number 15.
There were problems in the set piece for which they got penalised several times and the line out throws were going astray again.
They did enough but will need to sharpen to lift the GPS crown again.

Knox could certainly hold their own in the GPS competition but where size and strength will win against weaker CAS opposition they will need to add a bit more depth and variety to their game to beat the better GPS sides.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Just returned from QP and saw Waves completely outplay New in the Backs. Waverly 50 beAT Newington 28 about 8 ties to 4. This Waverly side is something exceptional, their backs and they were the difference between to the two teams, constantly found holes in the Newington's defence and New as a side had their work cut out in containing them. On a positive note for New, their pick and drive has improved and I can't recall any wasted opportunities in today's game. If fact all the tries they scored were a result of keeping the ball tight and grinding through Waves defences at the try line.

My concern is that this Waverly side is so good they will turn the CAS into a one sided competition, where most sides will do well on their day, if they keep the score below 50 points.

Today's result also puts into perspective the losses suffered by Joeys,Shore and Riverview against Waverly. Outclassed by a superior team. At this point I have noticed Cranbrook may withdraw from matches against Knox and Waverly. A good idea from what I saw today, if GPS schools are being outplayed by Waverly, imagine how Cranbrook will go. A 100 plus score will do nothing for Rugby at Cranbrook & Aloys.

Status
Not open for further replies.