• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Short_Ball_Steven

Stan Wickham (3)
Nice contribution mate. Unfortunately, the empirical evidence doesn't support your assertion.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Whilst they may compete with CAS at state selection games they still don't have the ability and depth in there own schools 1XV teams to to compete with schools such as Waverley and the best of the GPS. M8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr ISA Rugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Whilst they may compete with CAS at state selection games they still don't have the ability and depth in there own schools 1XV teams to to compete with schools such as Waverley and the best of the GPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Augustine’s and Oakhill are genuine rugby schools who could give pretty much any school a run for their money. Others are more cyclical with Stannies being better than both of them. Simply dismissing a teams ability because of the association they are in is pretty ignorant.

Yeah they aren't gonna beat Scots or joey's that often but they would perform well if they were in the CAS comp especially.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
^^^^^i think your zeal and obsession with the role of the GPS in saving oz rugby from itself is a perfect example of why the schools are de-emphasising what has become a pissing contest for old boys and parents.
The head of the river was moved for similar reasons many moons ago - not sure why that was allowed on TV.
Some epic youtube videos from Hor in the 70s and 80s. Norman May commentating

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
I recollect they made an exception for that game because of huge demand from country parents/old boys. I watched it and would have been interested to see the ratings (possible higher than a Tah game these days).
I remember ben batger won the game almost single handedly for kings. Amazing game.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Augustine’s and Oakhill are genuine rugby schools who could give pretty much any school a run for their money. Others are more cyclical with Stannies being better than both of them. Simply dismissing a teams ability because of the association they are in is pretty ignorant.

Yeah they aren't gonna beat Scots or joey's that often but they would perform well if they were in the CAS comp especially.

St augustines are a very impressive rugby school. Def give joeys or scots a tough game.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
And 7 opens soccer teams. The times are a changin.

Re AFL, I understand that the pitch was essentially 'we will provide grounds, transport, gear, coaching, kit, umpires. You just have to let us in.' Hard to say no to that.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Everything goes in cycles, throughout the 2000's Shore generally came top half of the comp every year (tied 1st in 06) and was always in contention for the premiership towards the end of the season. The big four back then was Joeys, View, Shore and Kings. Scots and Newington would always be competitive (never title contenders) and even Grammar knocked over a few key scalps back then.

Then from 2010 onwards, we saw the rise of Newington and Scots - both of which have done very well and have come away with a few premierships. Joeys, Kings, View (slight exception) and Shore obviously haven't done as well throughout this period but are always playing top quality footy and are extremely competitive.

Whilst Shore's results haven't been up there over the last 2-3 years, there hasn't been a game where they haven't been competitive and put up a fight.

It's great to play some ISA and CAS schools in trial games but there's no need to break the competition up just because Knox and Waverley each have gun 1st XV's this year. In two years time their 1st XV's might be very weak and Barker could have the best 1st XV. That's why we have GPS v CAS representative games.

Another key consideration is the depth of rugby teams each school has. Joeys, Shore, Kings and View generally field minimum 6 teams in each age group (joeys and shore often more), whereas Scots and Newingtons numbers seem to drop. Ideally each school would play the same school each week rather than playing fixtures against 6 different schools.

It's a fact that the CAS schools don't have this same depth and that's why we shouldn't break up the competition.

And someone please tell me, when did DR Wrong start at Shore?

S

sidelineview

And 7 opens soccer teams. The times are a changin.

Re AFL, I understand that the pitch was essentially 'we will provide grounds, transport, gear, coaching, kit, umpires. You just have to let us in.' Hard to say no to that.

That's how the AFL do it. There's nothing half assed about it.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
From comparing assorted fixture lists for different schools, the state of play is:

key - opens/16s/15s/14s/13s
Rugby --------------Soccer
J - 12/7/8/7/7 -----7/2/1/2/4
E- 8/5/6/6/6 -------7/3/4/5/5
S - 10/6/3/6/7 -----8/4/2/4/5 *15s impacted by Glengarry
N - 7/4/4/4/7 ------11/5/7/7/8
K - 9/4/5/4/5 -------10/6/5/6/8
G - 2/2/3/3/2 -------8/6/6/6/7
H - 2/2/1/1/1 -------13/6/7/7/6
I - 9/5/6/6/7 --------8/4/5/4/4
T - unable to determine - JB may need to assist

In comparison to 2015 numbers:
Rugby at Joeys, Shore, Kings, High & Riverview has declined (particulalry at Kings)
Noone has Ks in the lower ages any more or Hs in the higher age groups.

Strong increase in rugby at Scots and a reasonable increase at Newington.

NB - I'm happy to be corrected on any of these numbers.

EDIT: Maybe Dr Lambert should take over from Pulver.;)

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I remember ben batger won the game almost single handedly for kings. Amazing game.

Batger had a blinder. But what a team. IIRC also included Ben Hand, Will Caldwell, Hugh Perret, James Hilgendorf and others.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Kings v Scots looks to be a good match up this week. Scots in a close one.

Joeys should beat Knox, but will be closer that last year.

New should account for Shore - although Shore were more competitive last week.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Kings v Scots looks to be a good match up this week. Scots in a close one.

Joeys should beat Knox, but will be closer that last year.

New should account for Shore - although Shore were more competitive last week.

I think the Kings v Scots game will be particularly interesting. A good win by either team would place them in my top two for the GPS premiership.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the Kings v Scots game will be particularly interesting. A good win be either team would place them in my top two for the GPS premiership.

I think that's right.

I did accidentally overlook Waverley v Riverview. Waverley look red hot at the moment and Riverview have struggled. Think that Waverley will be too strong. Wouldn't suprise me if Waverley won by 30 plus.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From comparing assorted fixture lists for different schools, the state of play is:

key - opens/16s/15s/14s/13s
Rugby --------------Soccer
J - 12/7/8/7/7 -----7/2/1/2/4
E- 8/5/6/6/6 -------7/3/4/5/5
S - 10/6/3/6/7 -----8/4/2/4/5 *15s impacted by Glengarry
N - 7/4/4/4/7 ------11/5/7/7/8
K - 9/4/5/4/5 -------10/6/5/6/8
G - 2/2/3/3/2 -------8/6/6/6/7
H - 2/2/1/1/1 -------13/6/7/7/6
I - 9/5/6/6/7 --------8/4/5/4/4
T - unable to determine - JB may need to assist

In comparison to 2015 numbers:
Rugby at Joeys, Shore, Kings, High & Riverview has declined (particulalry at Kings)
Noone has Ks in the lower ages any more or Hs in the higher age groups.

Strong increase in rugby at Scots and a reasonable increase at Newington.

NB - I'm happy to be corrected on any of these numbers.

EDIT: Maybe Dr Lambert should take over from Pulver.;)
Kings and New ((the original rugby schools) more soccer teams in opens than grammar.
Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.