• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
In the 13s Kings are suffering and the impact of soccer is now making its mark. Together with the loss of its traditional country based boarding population. When New played Kings, 7 teams from New, against 5 teams from Kings, the 13As Won 69-0 nil,

Equally, for Kings despite having an excellent 1st XV, together with 15 and 14As, their Rugby in the coming years could experience bit of slide

Gee, how fast things change when you change the Headmaster

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gee, how fast things change when you change the Headmaster

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

I think that Dr Hawkes is still there. The new guy probably there too in some sort of transition process?

This has been coming fro a while at Kings re soccer v rugby numbers. The last 4 years now have seen more soccer boys in 13s than rugby boys.

Just like at Shore and just like the game of rugby in Australia as a whole, none of this is instantaneous. It takes years (as does the recovery).

Rob hart

Billy Sheehan (19)
I thought originally that this would be the case, but I was corrected so vehmently by another poster, I assumed that he knew first hand the situation.

A shame for the boys involved. I certainly hope that fixtures can be arranged for them for the last 4 weeks of the season.

Scots might not be too far behind on Saturday the 15a"s and B"s game saw 1 broken collar bone, two fractured cheek bones and fractured eye socket / concussion and a torn ACL

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Scots might not be too far behind on Saturday the 15a"s and B"s game saw 1 broken collar bone, two fractured cheek bones and fractured eye socket / concussion and a torn ACL

At least those boys will have some time at Glengarry to heal the wounds.

I assume that Scots didn't play Joeys As in 15s?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I turn my eyes away for a moment...Can someone tell me what the story with Shore is? I'm very confused.

Their 15As suffered heavy defeats against Kings, Newington and Joeys which involved boys being injured. They withdrew their 15As from the game against Kings last Saturday and have apparently withdrawn their 15As from the draw for the rest of the season. Hopefully they will be able to organise fixtures for the last 4 weeks of the season next term.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Their 15As suffered heavy defeats against Kings, Newington and Joeys which involved boys being injured. They withdrew their 15As from the game against Kings last Saturday and have apparently withdrawn their 15As from the draw for the rest of the season. Hopefully they will be able to organise fixtures for the last 4 weeks of the season next term.

I have absolutely no problems with the idea that where teams are weak that they should be able to play a different grade. Rugby has become a very physical game; we need to recognise that. Outside the professional grades rugby is played ( and watched) because it is fun. I think flexibility will help.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
CAS too good guys. We looked ok in first half. But they killed us in first 20 mins of second half, scoring 4 tries.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think that Dr Hawkes is still there. The new guy probably there too in some sort of transition process?

This has been coming fro a while at Kings re soccer v rugby numbers. The last 4 years now have seen more soccer boys in 13s than rugby boys.

Just like at Shore and just like the game of rugby in Australia as a whole, none of this is instantaneous. It takes years (as does the recovery).
I have a boy in the 13s at kings and is a boarder. There are twice as many year 7 boarders this year than there were last year and most are country boys. The under 13s this year go down to the Es, when I was there 30 years ago Fs was common with the occasional Gs. Back then there were about 100 boarders of each year group of about 150, now there are 50 boarders of a year group of 210+.

There are a lot more soccer teams at kings than rugby teams now yes, but this is mostly due to there being a much higher proportion of multi cultural students than there used to be. As pointed out the lower number of rugby players is highly correlated to the lower number of traditional country boarders. It's not really due to kids deciding to play soccer over rugby that otherwise would have played rugby, they are kids that were never exposed to rugby.

With regards to the u13s, their performance isn't an indication of rugby being in decline at the school, it's just that their 13s aren't an especially strong group, it's just how the dice rolled this year. That's despite there being some extremely talented players.

I'm not really trying to make a specific point here, just running the numbers and putting some clarity to some other comments.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
I think the 14's (the A's specifically) have had the advantage of a number of sporting scholarships and other strong players. Not sure if the 13's have that benefit - I am sure someone can confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuanBarn

Herbert Moran (7)
The 14s only go to the d's this year at Kings. In Soccer it's to the f's plus a 13/14 development squad, so probably a slightly greater number of boys playing soccer. 80-90 at a guess. That leaves about 40-50 boys averaged across year groups playing badminton, volleyball (there are 2 15s teams, who had to play each other last weekend, I guess shore has pulled out of volleyball as well) or cross country.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think the 14's (the A's specifically) have had the advantage of a number of sporting scholarships and other strong players. Not sure if the 13's have that benefit - I am sure someone can confirm.

Probably best discussed on the other thread. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.