• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm guessing you mean Wakatipu High School in Queenstown?
Scots v Wakatipu.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
why is there such a Joeys vs New rivalry
There isn't on Joeys part. Our rivals are the Jesuits and will always be.
Joeys have a healthy resepct for Kings and Shore.
I think Newington have a secret obsession with Joeys, but Joeys wont reciprocate. We just ignore them.
And of course, everyone despises Scots.....the Manly Warringah of the AAGPS.

bart-attention.gif

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Tips please.
There are plenty who have not yet.
Tipping closes midnight Friday or at least when I wake up at 8am Saturday.
Message or post here

TIPS- Week 8.jpg

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
It was the only school which warranted a special ‘gee up’ speech by the Senior Prefect the Friday before the game and a special war cry practice during the week.
Joeys have cheering practice every week. The poster boys do weekly gee ups but save the big one for View.

IMG_1769.JPG

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Could someone at Stanmore please explain why Newington have "forfeited" the 16Bs, 14Bs and 13Bs to Joeys?

It sort of throws a spanner in the comp tables we are creating. Every other school plays Joeys in the A's and B's.
Why do the Newington 16B's, 14B's and 13B's play Joeys 16C, 14D and 13C XV's
Is there a reason? Please enlighten me.

Hello Joker
I as a Newington supporter, are extremely embarrassed, indeed angry, by the actions of my of my of old school in forfeiting these matches. It shows a lack of commitment, to our GPS Membership. As far as I am concerned, if Newington College cannot fulfil our GPS obligations, we must reconsider our membership of the GPS.

Joeys have every right to make Newington College, accountable for their behaviour. Joker, I may not speak for the school, but again, I apologise as a Newington supporter. Hopefully, it might be a temporary situation due to the Flu season. Maybe Dusk, could provide an insight into the situation.

Last edited:

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Hello Joker
I as a Newington supporter, are extremely embarrassed, indeed angry, by the actions of my of my of old school in forfeiting these matches. It shows a lack of commitment, to our GPS Membership. As far as I am concerned, if Newington College cannot fulfil our GPS obligations, we must reconsider our membership of the GPS.

Joeys have every right to make Newington College, accountable for their behaviour. Joker, I may not speak for the school, but again, I apologise as a Newington supporter. Hopefully, it might be a temporary situation due to the Flu season. Maybe Dusk, could provide an insight into the situation.
No worries old friend.
As I have stated before I have come to appreciate the Newington lads and ethos.
My god son attends the junior school right now.

Dusk has been quiet. Hope to hear from him soon.

Finally, who here will be at the game this Saturday!

6nelwt.jpg

Last edited:

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
There isn't on Joeys part. Our rivals are the Jesuits and will always be.
Joeys have a healthy resepct for Kings and Shore.
I think Newington have a secret obsession with Joeys, but Joeys wont reciprocate. We just ignore them.
And of course, everyone despises Scots.....the Manly Warringah of the AAGPS.

View attachment 14158
It was Newington that disrespected the tradition of Walk On in 1990 or 1991. Joeys put a cricket score on them that day. Joeys teams are very used to other schools getting very excited if they ever beat Joeys in any grade or age group, it is understandable because those wins are so rare. Joeys has no particular grudge or rivalry with Newington

Ace Ventura

Ted Fahey (11)
48 years of watching AAGPS games between the schools.
12 years on this forum.

Joeys first played in the GPS Rugby Competition in 1895, and played Newington twice that year, with no score in the first game and Jack Ellis scoring two tries in the second. Kings won the comp that year.

[Newington and Kings have the longest record of any teams in all of Australia playing each other - dating from 1870.]

So, Joeys and Newington have been playing each other for 126 years (not counting war years etc) and have built a long-standing mutual respect. Some may choose to call it obsession?

Kings 1895.jpg

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
It was Newington that disrespected the tradition of Walk On in 1990 or 1991. Joeys put a cricket score on them that day. Joeys teams are very used to other schools getting very excited if they ever beat Joeys in any grade or age group, it is understandable because those wins are so rare. Joeys has no particular grudge or rivalry with Newington
Hello Older Slower

Yes, Joeys won in 1990, but is wasn't a cricket, score. 8-0 to Joeys in the GPS competition. I think the preseason result was 16-0 to Joeys.
Amongst, the Joeys boys was Matt Burke and I think Peter Jorgensen. Newington had Scot Bowden.

I was speaking to a former Joeys boy who sent his son to Newington ( He owned a motel near Newington). He felt that despite, the initial outward appearances and differences, that Newington and Joeys have many similarities. Both schools are egalitarian in their outlook, don't have a small selected prefect system. But rely on year 12 boys leading. Both schools are not pretentious in their outlook. Have a strong sense of community and social responsibility, particularly to less fortunate in our society.

The Methodist and Marist traditions of educating, the less fortunate in our society, runs strong in both schools.

I have benefitted from the kindness of a Joeys Mother, who lent me an umbrella, one cold and wet afternoon at HH.

Joker, I believe the Joeys1st XV boys will serve guests, at the post match function, with food on trays.

Hence, I feel a great deal of respect, friendship and admiration to Joeys.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
In this game, a Newington Prop was injured, with the consequence that the no pushing law was introduced
This and another injury at Shore really shone the light on scrummaging.
Those were the days when you took delight in popping an opposition front row.
(Watch from 3.10) The hooker collapses after being stuck and not able to get his head free.

RonnyGibbs

Herbert Moran (7)
Hello Joker

New doesn't forfeit

ItsNotPink

Bill Watson (15)
New doesn't forfeit
Yes, let's be clear. All of the Newington teams are playing Joeys as far as I can tell.

The issue is that Newington has only 16A, 16B and 16C whereas Joeys has twice as many teams and goes down to 16F. Depth of teams is the issue - not the willingness to play Joeys.

In my opinion there is absolutely no point Newington 16B (their middle age group team) playing Joeys 16B who are typically very close to the Joeys 16As and would win by more than a ton. So it is sensible to try to match the teams of similar strength across the age groups. This happens every week. The matches in the 16s are:

Joeys 16A v New 16A
Joeys 16C v New 16B
Joeys 16E v New 16C

Let's not forget that Shore 15A pulled out of the comp in 2017 as a result of several huge margin losses and concern over injury to players, but the age group later made a good comeback. So hopefully it's not a permanent condition.

INP

Status
Not open for further replies.