• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Shared the 16 A's Prem last year with Kings, Came second last year with a fair amount of year 11 boys.
Yep the New 16as was a very good side last year, beat Waves by a try on a rain sodden day at New and it could easily have gone the other way, the only game waves lost last year. Waves also beat Kings comfortably at Death Valley. However the waves have quite a number back from the 1s and 2s last year so only a small few of these 16as boys will be in the team, with the exception of 1 very talented 16as flanker who is injured.

Should be a terrific game at Death Valley, so if New can win comfortably by 12-18+ then I think they will be a real show to win the GPS this year.
I just hope the rain doesn't come and destroy any games, it can rain at 6pm!

WLF3

Darby Loudon (17)
Yep the New 16as was a very good side last year, beat Waves by a try on a rain sodden day at New and it could easily have gone the other way, the only game waves lost last year. Waves also beat Kings comfortably at Death Valley. However the waves have quite a number back from the 1s and 2s last year so only a small few of these 16as boys will be in the team, with the exception of 1 very talented 16as flanker who is injured.

Should be a terrific game at Death Valley, so if New can win comfortably by 12-18+ then I think they will be a real show to win the GPS this year.

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)

Newington play Scots at Newington round 10 of the GPS, could potentially be the GPS winning game, should also be BTND which means a big crowd.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Dusk

Was that a response from Cluch ?

1682513716015.png

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Why?

I could get them steering away from social media engagement as it tends to devolve worse than these threads at times. Can be a great way to keep up with scores if you just keep it simple.

Why not the games though? You can have cameras now do it that follow the ball in play and require no human interaction besides initial set up. Do they not want to show anyone style of play being a longer season you have more of a chance to figure it out. I think it's a shame if schools don't get involved. Plenty of country families who love to watch and rugby fans who want to watch other games on Sat evening, Sunday etc..

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Why not the games though? You can have cameras now do it that follow the ball in play and require no human interaction besides initial set up. Do they not want to show anyone style of play being a longer season you have more of a chance to figure it out. I think it's a shame if schools don't get involved. Plenty of country families who love to watch and rugby fans who want to watch other games on Sat evening, Sunday etc..

Back in 1998 the ABC decided to fill in a blank weekend of Shute Shield coverage with a AAGPS game. It was a no brainer so they choose Joeys v Riverview which was to be the big game then. The broadcast worked well (I watched from Perisher top station) and it was well received. What wasn't though was the constant highlighting of students which sort of goes against what Joeys and the swamp monsters were about. (St Joseph's 31 defeated St Ignatius 0) The boy in particular focus was Peter Playford and Joeys did not like it. As Brother Henry said, "Joeys does not make champion players, they make champion teams".

The ABC did it again with Joeys v Kings in 2002 with Kings coming away with a good win that day securing the premiership as champions. Again the sticking point was the ABC insistence to "pump up" players. In the 2002 AAGPS Headmasters meeting and the AAGPS Sportsmasters meeting the decision was taken that school rugby is for the schools and if people want to watch then come and join the community. To help the country families, in 2012 Joeys were the first school to introduce Joeys Rugby on twitter which has been a great success as it JUST REPORTS SCORES and does not promote players. The 2018 SIC v SJC game that was streamed was because of a major fundraising effort you will recall. Cluch jumped in when the the pandemic hit which made for very weird viewing as there was next to nothing crowd noise. Imagine the noise from the swamp if fans were allowed there in 2020 with this incredible finish after the bell.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I get the idea of not wanting to create 'faux celebs' but its a very different time now. With Instagram pages that put together highlight packages of players, YouTube clips and the ability of every student to live stream if they want to from their phone. I'm surprised the schools wouldn't want to be in the drivers seat for this and try to guide it. Bit head in the sand if you ask me.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
I get the idea of not wanting to create 'faux celebs' but its a very different time now. With Instagram pages that put together highlight packages of players, YouTube clips and the ability of every student to live stream if they want to from their phone. I'm surprised the schools wouldn't want to be in the drivers seat for this and try to guide it. Bit head in the sand if you ask me.
Yes agreed. You either get in front of this and try to steer as best you can, or you don't and someone else will and steer it away from what you want.

rugbylover

Frank Row (1)
hey rugby lovers, what are your thoughts on the knox 1s and 2s. Coming up against 2 strong joeys teams, not sure how theyll go

rugby lover out

Status
Not open for further replies.