• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
@Game_Day_Ritual your thoughts on the top 10 players in the GPS going into next season. Players to look out for etc
The 2024 cohort are very strong. My pick is from Newington (Rodwell, Humpries and the current injured FB plus Farr Jones) New backline will be very strong. Scots should be strong, and the usual suspects involved. The team will be very top-heavy year 12 not many places for year 11. Joeys always play with structure, heart. Shore Usual suspects Marshall, Warner and Ollie Mac.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Am a Shore supporter but have not heard of these 2 players, have they been injured or just in a lower team, nevertheless excited to watch them both next year. But to answer Ghost's question Shore seem to have a top heavy Year 11 cohort obviously with Le Maitre, but they have 5 in the 1sts in total as well as the 2nds 15 who is a standout from my view. I believe that Shore should have a good chance at competing next year, as this cohort were undefeated in 15As (Lost 3 players to the opens moving to 16As.)
Collector.

It might be a bit early Collector but do you want to have a crack at naming a 2024 Shore 1st XV?

The 2024 cohort are very strong. My pick is from Newington (Rodwell, Humpries and the current injured FB plus Farr Jones) New backline will be very strong. Scots should be strong, and the usual suspects involved. The team will be very top-heavy year 12 not many places for year 11. Joeys always play with structure, heart. Shore Usual suspects Marshall, Warner and Ollie Mac.
Some very talented players from the newington u16 to come up as well. dylan simmons blind side flander expected to move into hooker and cormac mooney expected to play second row. With the likes of grantham and makasini to be expected to fill those spots of the year 12s moving on from next year and a few in year 11 at the moment to come back from injury.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
To the Scots supporters

Why are your expectations of next year's Scots backline so high ? It will basically be the same as this year and apart from experience ( which is a big thing in Opens footy ), the incumbent players have been a little disappointing this year. They'll need to play alot better next year to be a chance for a premiership. They have the talent but have not gelled ? Why will it change next year ?

footyfooty footy footy

Herbert Moran (7)
To the Scots supporters

Why are your expectations of next year's Scots backline so high ? It will basically be the same as this year and apart from experience ( which is a big thing in Opens footy ), the incumbent players have been a little disappointing this year. They'll need to play alot better next year to be a chance for a premiership. They have the talent but have not gelled ? Why will it change next year ?
I think largely due to the fact it will be so year 12 heavy, meaning more combinations and chemistry. And maybe we are just begging for a prem due to the recent years, chances have gone begging with the skilled players we have had.

Maybe that is the answer, I don't know.

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
To the Scots supporters

As a Kings supporter the'24 Scots back are frikking amazing specimens. Big and fast - skill TBD. Have dominated through the age groups where size wins out. In Opens the absence of cohesion is evident but also driven by an absence of front foot ball. In this age group New have the most skillful backs (imo) but aren't as supported upfront.
If Scots click, they will dominate. I have been surprised this year at the lack of cohesion in the backs and the porous defence but largely put that down to continuously being on the back foot. They have another year under their belt to get it right.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
So by the sounds of things, Scots need to have a good pack ( like most backlines need ) and they'll be right. I think it might not be that easy to fix. A good 9/10 combination is vital ( as per View/Kings this year ). The forwards will not always give you front foot and a premiership team needs to be able to adapt and play defencive footy as well as play off the back foot. Scots need to use their big,strong Centres and run straighter lines. That might get them going forward before bringing Jacques etc into play. Current 12/13 are a handful in attack but can be found out laterally. But certainly big threats.

Oldboy

Frank Nicholson (4)
Not for opposing fans on a sunny winters day the far side of the pitch.
Joeys faithful on comfortable seating in a tiered stand, toilets to hand, with the sun at their back - on one side.
Opposing fans on hard bench seating with limited elevation staring into the setting sun on the visitors side.
As a gesture of goodwill maybe Joeys should switch things around to accommodate their guests in greater comfort........worth raising at the next committee meeting Joker???:oops:
Unless you are a Joey boy, viewing is terrible at Joeys. The temporary fencing, flat temporary seating and 'port a loo's' are so bad. It can also be a very cold windy place when from the south. Last week at Parramatta, we had parents tail gating with bbq's on the hill and the atmosphere was great. If you want to watch up close, you can sit in the stands near the scoreboard or you can even choose to sit in your car with the grandparents on the hill and still get a great view. The amphitheatre 360 degree viewing is incredible as is the surface. The best is out west.

Adding people and atmosphere to Jokers' picture below.

Attachments

• Kings-1st-XV-JS-White-Oval-Panorama-030819D-2678.jpg
    Kings-1st-XV-JS-White-Oval-Panorama-030819D-2678.jpg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 114

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
TriesAfterPies

As mentioned previously in my posts, Views coaches have held back a lot of the 16's players in order to form good combinations and confidance for next year. This year is a big, big bonus and the boys have played very well and with a huge chance to win a premiership. However, with a few yr11 open players returning and a solid base of 16's moving up, 2024 is looking really good. Hope the coaches a right in their thinking. IMO I think it's a good move. Not that you want to sacrifice a year ( and this year is by no means over ), but some schools ( you know the ones ) push imo too many 16's and even 15's into opens. I guess if your good enough why not but it does come at a sacrifice to combos etc. A 9/10 combo or a 12/13 is very important.

Aagpsglory

Allen Oxlade (6)
What are everyones thoughts on the U16A comp? The View team just seems to be dominating everyone. Could it be a result of players going up to opens?

TAP
View right now are undefeated after 7 rounds. Seems as though View have a strong year although their dominance definitely can be attributed to a few other schools pushing their 16's players up to 1's and 2's.

I think their Key players are:
2: Danny Osborne
5: George Tancred
7: Henri Dempsey
8: Campbell Conna
9: Gus Grover
12: Henry Butler (haven't heard about him a lot, but seems like a amazing player based on the games ive watched ie: Kings, Scots, New)
14: Rupert Fulton

I have only caught a few games of their but they are all very talented and play a great style of rugby. Especially seen on the weekend against Scots with some great team tries. I was very impressed with their structure as well, felt as though it was a bit better than Scots.

Anyway, to answer your question, View would still be a very competitive and strong team if all 16 year olds played in the comp (such as those in the opens).

AG

Vai a Riva

Stan Wickham (3)
Just heard that Boston is injured and Hadley is being rested this weekend. Is that true? Possibly can't be.
I personally would find that quite hard to believe. For what is shaping up as the so called "game of the year", I can't imagine Kings are willing to take that risk. If they are so concerned with his workload or fitness, win the game this weekend and then give him 2 weeks off is that's what he really needs. Kings certainly won't have everything their own way this weekend. It should be a tough contest.

TW

Status
Not open for further replies.