• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Ok Subbies, you wanted JOEYS centric.
Beat this bad boy created by the great Lee Grant with a couple of changes by me
Damn hard job when you have so many Wallabies to chose from (54)
Maybe I could an Australia A side as well with just Joeys boys?

Years listed are those they played for the Wallabies.

15. Terry Curley (1957-59)
14. Arthur Tonkin (1947-50)
13. Matt Burke (1993-2004)
12. Jack Blomey (1949-50)
11. Tom Wright (2020-present)
10. Kurtley Beale (2009-2022)
9. Luke Burgess (2008-2011)
8. John O'Gorman (1961-67)
7. Ted Heinrich (1961-63)
6. Jack Ford (1925-30)
5. Ted Fahey (1912-14)
4. Steve Williams (1980-85) [Captain]
3. Declan Curran (1980-83)
2. Chris Carberry (1973-82)
1. Bill Young (2000-2005)

Notes
15. Curley's career was shortened because of the commencement of his Marist brother training.

13. Burke played outside centre for Oz Schools and Joeys had a plethora of good fullbacks over the years compared to other positions.

10. Likewise Beale is picked at flyhalf.

7. Heinrich played other backrow positions also, but otherwise I would have had to have picked Lipman, a Pom.

6. Ford played mainly at 8, but he played some at 7 for Oz, and this is my post.

4/5 Williams and Fahey – both Wallaby captains.

3. Tough choice between Curran and Jake Howard whose career coincided with that of Wallaby great Ray Prosser.

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
Ok Subbies, you wanted JOEYS centric.
Beat this bad boy created by the great Lee Grant with a couple of changes by me
Damn hard job when you have so many Wallabies to chose from (54)
Maybe I could an Australia A side as well with just Joeys boys?

Years listed are those they played for the Wallabies.

15. Terry Curley (1957-59)
14. Arthur Tonkin (1947-50)
13. Matt Burke (1993-2004)
12. Jack Blomey (1949-50)
11. Tom Wright (2020-present)
10. Kurtley Beale (2009-2022)
9. Luke Burgess (2008-2011)
8. John O'Gorman (1961-67)
7. Ted Heinrich (1961-63)
6. Jack Ford (1925-30)
5. Ted Fahey (1912-14)
4. Steve Williams (1980-85) [Captain]
3. Declan Curran (1980-83)
2. Chris Carberry (1973-82)
1. Bill Young (2000-2005)

Notes
15. Curley's career was shortened because of the commencement of his Marist brother training.

13. Burke played outside centre for Oz Schools and Joeys had a plethora of good fullbacks over the years compared to other positions.

10. Likewise Beale is picked at flyhalf.

7. Heinrich played other backrow positions also, but otherwise I would have had to have picked Lipman, a Pom.

6. Ford played mainly at 8, but he played some at 7 for Oz, and this is my post.

4/5 Williams and Fahey – both Wallaby captains.

3. Tough choice between Curran and Jake Howard whose career coincided with that of Wallaby great Ray Prosser.
No Tony Daley?

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
No Tony Daley?
No Dales. Love him like a brother but I always rated Young the better hard running prop. Both excellent scrummagers. Dales quicker but Young had a hard nose to him. Know Bill as well. Both of these blokes won the RWC. Hard to spilt.

Last edited:

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
Hello All,

Long time, first time etc. I've heard the Grammar 13A's for and against is in excess of 280 for, and around 20 against. With only 20 boys in the squad, they've played some class rugby this season, toppling 'top tier' GPS rugby school's C teams by 30-50 points each week.

Considering the dwindling numbers at more 'liberal, academically-focused' GPS schools, there could have a real renaissance of Grammar Rugby on our hands. All eyes will be on the Grammar First XV tomorrow which will hopefully reignite this School's passion for its once great sport. I'm bullish on Grammar rugby!

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Waikato.
Thats fantastic news Grammar doing so well. I know their 1st play Scots tomorrow for a premiership. Tyrone Smith is doing a great job at SG so hopefully the fruit of his hard work is slowly playing off. Gr Sammar have a very rich and successful history of GPS rugby so would be great to have a more competitive SG.

Double Badger

Stan Wickham (3)
Re best GPS wallabies Jim Lenehan have to be considered, he played for View opposite Curley then like Max Jorgensen they both toured with the Wallabies the next year.

10 years as Wallaby Fullback and a freakish allround athlete that held both the GPS Shot put and 110 hurdles records for 30 years plus.

twoandahalfback

Bob McCowan (2)
Hello All,

Long time, first time etc. I've heard the Grammar 13A's for and against is in excess of 280 for, and around 20 against. With only 20 boys in the squad, they've played some class rugby this season, toppling 'top tier' GPS rugby school's C teams by 30-50 points each week.

Considering the dwindling numbers at more 'liberal, academically-focused' GPS schools, there could have a real renaissance of Grammar Rugby on our hands. All eyes will be on the Grammar First XV tomorrow which will hopefully reignite this School's passion for its once great sport. I'm bullish on Grammar rugby!

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Waikato.
I have heard the same. The 13As were also supposed to be moved up to the Bs comp around halfway through the season, but I am not sure how many they ended up rescheduling. I know they played Kings Cs last week, so it could be a bit of both. They have great talent in the team, but you do worry about numbers. They only have 5 teams in 4 age groups. The coaching staff at Grammar are doing a good job, but I think the school needs to encourage more boys to join to get some depth. The current Year 11 and 12 age groups had 2-3 teams in junior years, which is probably part of the reason that they are now having success

Balmain Subbies

Alfred Walker (16)
No Dales. Love him like a brother but I always rated Young the better hard running prop. Both excellent scrummagers. Dales quicker but Young had a hard nose to him. Know Bill as well. Both of these blokes won the RWC. Hard to spilt.
True, but the 91 forward pack was the best in the world, the 99 pack second best

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Re best GPS wallabies Jim Lenehan have to be considered, he played for View opposite Curley then like Max Jorgensen they both toured with the Wallabies the next year.

10 years as Wallaby Fullback and a freakish allround athlete that held both the GPS Shot put and 110 hurdles records for 30 years plus.
Lenehan was incredible but Curley was better and he made his Wallaby debut at 18 straight out of school and was considered one of the best in the world. I believe they were good friends. If Curley had stayed a player who knows how good he would have been.

Frostiesview

Peter Burge (5)
Is hiwi sharps injury going to be short or long term ?

you’d assume a 9 would be added to the Gen blue squad after the news, who would they add? Taite howels and lachy smith would both be up for consideration I’d say.

TheRugbysmoker185

Allen Oxlade (6)
Is hiwi sharps injury going to be short or long term ?

you’d assume a 9 would be added to the Gen blue squad after the news, who would they add? Taite howels and lachy smith would both be up for consideration I’d say.
Hugo Orpin got to be close, he had such an impressive year and would be a shame not to add him
The Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.