• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
If Jacques has made the u18 Waratahs team, should we expect a career post school in union?
I hear he is already in the Waratahs senior development squad (similar to Jorgo whilst he was still at school). It is generally kept low key but is being used as a way of keeping the really good ones close.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
If Jacques has made the u18 Waratahs team, should we expect a career post school in union?
I’d say so. I remember they made their position clear that preference would be given to boys who chose Rugby.

Don’t personally like it because Rugby shouldn’t shun a kid who will be up for a contract again by the time they are 21 and Rugby shouldn’t leave a bad taste.

Hopefully more boys start realising that small contracts with NRL Clubs mean nothing if it’s not a top 30 deal. They give them out for fun and don’t care if it doesn’t pan out. Some Clubs will have over 40 per year signed with the target being 3-4 first graders.

Last edited:

Game_Day_Ritual

Sydney Middleton (9)
I’d say so. I remember they made their position clear that preference would be given to boys who chose Rugby.

Don’t personally like it because Rugby shouldn’t shun a kid who will be up for a contract again by the time they are 21 and Rugby shouldn’t leave a bad taste.

Hopefully more boys start realising that small contracts with NRL Clubs mean nothing if it’s not a top 30 deal. They give them out for fun and don’t care if it doesn’t pan out. Some Clubs will have over 40 per year signed with the target being 3-4 first graders.
Could even be earlier than 21, could be 19. The other option now against the Tahs etc is kids are going overseas to play. To play in US/UK/Europe.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Billy Blair (J) Ontoni Large (S) Tom Whalan (K) Casey Mc (N) plus some more I’ll identify. Probably some boppers doing shotput like Brial and Fitler.
The 17 yrs 100m Championship race was Mclean v Large, with Large racing up a year. Not much in it Large 1st in 10.93 Mclean 2nd in 11.1

propsarespeedy

Billy Sheehan (19)
How good to see Scots take out the win in the Aths yesterday. Special mention to Sam Nicole (1st xv winger) , his last leg in the 4 x 100M brought scots to 2nd place in the race which in turn got them the points allowing them to win it. Ended at Scots 403 to joeys at 400 so extremely close carnival. A great way for the Scots year 12 boys to end their school sport

Last edited:

InsiderScoop

Chris McKivat (8)
Interesting to see if Ryan Devlin will repeat for Riverview this year, he is a tough bugger that had heart surgery after the 1st XV Waverley game and managed to make his way back into the 1sts after 3 weeks of no training and 2 weeks of only limited aerobic work. Plenty of quality backrowers in the U18 age group next year.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
Billy Blair was so quick, he has to make the firsts next year- would just run around the defence.
I get the strategic nature of the competition and schools moving athletes into different age groups for the points (well done Scots) although it would have been good to see Blair, Avati and Large all run against each other in the 100m considering there was only a 0.05 difference between the trio.