• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting article maybe some truth on the issues faced by Rugby Union in Australia. Going through the NRL teams and Dev squads allot of GPS boys playing.

I wrote the same thing on another thread that posted this article:

Rugby League froth on this bloke. Someone gets a degree in that sport and they all and they look at him like the chimp who made fire.

It’s shit to watch an NRL game and see 6-7 players who went to a NSW or QLD GPS school but in a lot of cases they have been sent by the Club and they only play Rugby because they are there.

Rugby are resource poor/stupid over the last 20 years. They do seem to be doing something about it currently and trying to get back players and retain youth which is a good thing.

Rugby can’t spend 500k like the Storm did for Jack Howarth to not play. If we pay that they better be playing Super Rugby immediately. They don’t care if they give 20 blokes at each club 30k and maybe 1 becomes a good player.

AroundTheAnkles

Dave Cowper (27)
I wrote the same thing on another thread that posted this article:

Rugby League froth on this bloke. Someone gets a degree in that sport and they all and they look at him like the chimp who made fire.

It’s shit to watch an NRL game and see 6-7 players who went to a NSW or QLD GPS school but in a lot of cases they have been sent by the Club and they only play Rugby because they are there.

Rugby are resource poor/stupid over the last 20 years. They do seem to be doing something about it currently and trying to get back players and retain youth which is a good thing.

Rugby can’t spend 500k like the Storm did for Jack Howarth to not play. If we pay that they better be playing Super Rugby immediately. They don’t care if they give 20 blokes at each club 30k and maybe 1 becomes a good player.
I can't believe I just paid a buck for 3 months of access to read the dribble in that article. For a start the NRL does fund an awful lot of those placements. That is part of the reason why none of the funded NRL-bound lads go to Joeys (or View I imagine), the schools simply won't allow the players to subordinate school priorities to a club paymaster.

None the less, the free loader principle applies, however the freeloader is RA not the NRL. It is RA that takes the benefit of the subsidy from the schools, at least the NRL does make a financial contribution to the school programs.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
I can't believe I just paid a buck for 3 months of access to read the dribble in that article. For a start the NRL does fund an awful lot of those placements. That is part of the reason why none of the funded NRL-bound lads go to Joeys (or View I imagine), the schools simply won't allow the players to subordinate school priorities to a club paymaster.

None the less, the free loader principle applies, however the freeloader is Rugby Australia not the NRL. It is Rugby Australia that takes the benefit of the subsidy from the schools, at least the NRL does make a financial contribution to the school programs.
Agree 100%… The ARU should be thanking its lucky stars the GPS exists … otherwise rugby in this country WOULD be dead.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
GPS is the saviour as well as being detrimental to Rugby in Australia.

Having Rugby still being played and at a high level in GPS/Private schools gives the sport a profile amongst "wealthy" citizens which can lead to sponsorship etc. Rugby is known as the more "well-to-do" sport and players are attracted to these schools ( education as well as facilities,coaches ) to enhance their chances of getting into higher level rep teams. This can concentrate the talent into these schools.

This "concentration of talent" is to the detriment of the sport in general. The oldies know, Rugby used to be played at public schools ( think of the Ella brothers etc ) up till fairly recently however the costs involved, lack of support from the top and the eniticement of players to GPS/Private schools slowly led to the public schools leaning towards League. Now it's AFL.

The ARU needs to cast a wider net to attract and keep talented players. Without the GPS, Rugby would die very quickly. However, the concentration of players in the GPS restricts the growth of the sport therefore it may eventually die a slow death.

Club Rugby is very important and needs to be promoted andheavily funded to attract the public schools kids as well as the private school kids. This will lead to a broader player base and hopefully more talented kids playing and staying in the sport

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
GPS is the saviour as well as being detrimental to Rugby in Australia.

Having Rugby still being played and at a high level in GPS/Private schools gives the sport a profile amongst "wealthy" citizens which can lead to sponsorship etc. Rugby is known as the more "well-to-do" sport and players are attracted to these schools ( education as well as facilities,coaches ) to enhance their chances of getting into higher level rep teams. This can concentrate the talent into these schools.

This "concentration of talent" is to the detriment of the sport in general. The oldies know, Rugby used to be played at public schools ( think of the Ella brothers etc ) up till fairly recently however the costs involved, lack of support from the top and the eniticement of players to GPS/Private schools slowly led to the public schools leaning towards League. Now it's AFL.

The ARU needs to cast a wider net to attract and keep talented players. Without the GPS, Rugby would die very quickly. However, the concentration of players in the GPS restricts the growth of the sport therefore it may eventually die a slow death.

Club Rugby is very important and needs to be promoted andheavily funded to attract the public schools kids as well as the private school kids. This will lead to a broader player base and hopefully more talented kids playing and staying in the sport
Yes, but the blame is with Rugby Australia for not growing the club game … You Can’t blame GPS rugby for being successful

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)

None the less, the free loader principle applies, however the freeloader is Rugby Australia not the NRL. It is Rugby Australia that takes the benefit of the subsidy from the schools, at least the NRL does make a financial contribution to the school programs.
I don't believe that NRL clubs fund players to attend GPS Schools. The disparity between schools that do and don't have future NRL players (elite schoolboy league players) is the different ideology to supply those things that aren't mentioned. NRL clubs can't contract a player until 15, a large number of these boys start GPS schooling well before then. Sua'ali'i for example started in year 7 at 12 years old, no club is paying a 12 year old. He then had 3 different clubs before he left school. It is also 70k a year, if boarding, and development contracts which are full-time training contracts are only 60k.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They 100% have fronted the full cost of Schooling. I can’t say if it’s every case but it has happened quite a bit. Some schools will also like the link.

I wouldn’t worry about cost. If they put 4 boys through various schools paying 250k they don’t care. They’ve taken that each night from pokies and gambling revenue.

If they are to do it, they are for players they want in the Top 30 squad immediately post school where the minimum wage is 110k and going to 130k in the next CBA.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't believe that NRL clubs fund players to attend GPS Schools. The disparity between schools that do and don't have future NRL players (elite schoolboy league players) is the different ideology to supply those things that aren't mentioned. NRL clubs can't contract a player until 15, a large number of these boys start GPS schooling well before then. Sua'ali'i for example started in year 7 at 12 years old, no club is paying a 12 year old. He then had 3 different clubs before he left school. It is also 70k a year, if boarding, and development contracts which are full-time training contracts are only 60k.

Penisini's Kings fees were paid for by the eels.

Sua'ali'i is a different story. Russell Crowe was paying the family 70k a year to steal him from Penrith to Rabbitohs, not in school fees. Kings dealt with that. And he was at Kings for more than just rugby. NSW athletics, basketball, AFL, touch footy, rugby league and rugby union. Some kids are special athletes. Sua'ali'i takes that to a new level.

WoodyWoodsman

Sydney Middleton (9)
Penisini's Kings fees were paid for by the eels.

Sua'ali'i is a different story. Russell Crowe was paying the family 70k a year to steal him from Penrith to Rabbitohs, not in school fees. Kings dealt with that. And he was at Kings for more than just rugby. NSW athletics, basketball, AFL, touch footy, rugby league and rugby union. Some kids are special athletes. Sua'ali'i takes that to a new level.
Not true about Penisini. All three Penisini boys went through high school at Kings and the Eels didn’t pay for all of them.
not saying that they didn’t contribute, but they didn’t pay them.
Souths helped the Sua'ali'i family out with costs and others school related expenses.

RedOrDead

Ted Thorn (20)
Not true about Penisini. All three Penisini boys went through high school at Kings and the Eels didn’t pay for all of them.
not saying that they didn’t contribute, but they didn’t pay them.
Souths helped the Sua'ali'i family out with costs and others school related expenses.

What I've said is the gossip from around North Parramatta.

046ballrunner

Peter Burge (5)
View attachment 17531
Well done to all the GPS boys getting selected.

Will be more in other sides like the Barbarians.
GPS Players that will make this side next year

Toby Brial (S)
Leo Jacques (S)
Charlie Bull (I) (Graduated but eligible through colts)
Edwin Langi (K) (Graduated but eligible through colts)
Marshall Lemaite (E)
Phoenix Graham (I)
Ontoni Large (S)
James Warner (E)

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
It seems that subscribing to Cluch every month is not enough.

To watch ALL 3 games starting with
Aust Schoolboys v Aust Barbarians at 2pm today in the series will require an additional $13